Jasonw

Scenarios on other planets/byakhee

Jasonw

Hi All,

So I have been running a loss campaign of 4 players for some time now set in the 1920's and I am struggling to think of a good next (possibly finale) scenario. I have been running these scenarios in this order -

The Haunting - classic starting scenario

Amidst the ancient trees - Scenario from new 7e Rulebook (Glaaki)

In a different light - Scenario set in Arkham about a great old one harvesting pineal glands

Thirteenth man - Scenario involving a vampire (creation of Nylethotep) hunt in a remote campsite

Ties that bind - From "Doors to Darkness" scenario involving summoned byakhee

I was thinking the next scenario could possibly still involve byakhees in some way and maybe even travel to another planet via a gate, does anyone have any ideas?

OneoftheDeep

If you can find a finale that might need some special research, there is a scenario in the revised Day of the Beast book in which the investigators travel to The Great Library of Celeno (sp?) to look for a particular spell

yronimoswhateley

Travel to other planets via Byahkee is also an option (and, if it helps, there were some great ideas contributed by the YSDC community to the Byakhee "Monster Make-Over" discussion regarding that capacity!)

And, there's no reason at all that "The Haunting" (for one of my favorite examples) couldn't be set on Mars, Titan, Yuggoth, a dim yellow world near Aldebaron in the distant past or future (I suggest that Byakhees can travel through time as easily as space!), or beyond.  You'd want a different "hook" to pull the investigators into the story with, and maybe some descriptions to fit your new setting (or maybe not - why couldn't a Mythos wizard build his haunted New England saltbox-style house on Venus, or teleport it to Saturn if he wanted to?), but after the adventurers get started exploring the place, everything else is easy enough to put in place ("The Haunting", after all, follows much the same basic structure as "Alien", "Ghosts of Mars", or "Event Horizon": a group of investigators explore a creepy space ship or alien ruin, and find a nasty surprise....)

Dante7
10 hours ago, Jasonw said:

I was thinking the next scenario could possibly still involve byakhees in some way and maybe even travel to another planet via a gate, does anyone have any ideas?

Scope out Eldritch Skies for mythos-y goodness in space?  :) 

ColonelAutumn9155

You could have the Investigators end up on Carcosa, and look at the scenario "Tatterdamalion" for details. They could end with a dramatic confrontation with Hastur. I'm fairly certain Byakhee are associated with Hastur, as well.

Yuggoth, and those pesky Mi-Go, are always a possibility. They are, after all, the archetypical "aliens" of the mythos.

Saturn or the Moon, and the eponymous Cats From, spring to mind. I believe Tsathaggua was worshipped on Saturn, if that helps.

Any of the numerous alien worlds colonized by the Mi-Go, Elder Things, or Shan (Insects from Shaggai) could work, with enough research on your part.

The ruined, hellish world that the Great Race of Yith originated from seems ripe for using.

As for getting there, Byakhee (as you suggested), Space Mead, Gates, deals with GOO (always a GREAT idea for investigators 😉), or Mi-Go abductions all seem plausible. Honestly, any way that you, the keeper, can think of is good enough to stick the investigators anywhere in the universe (provided they can breathe, of course!).

DrMonster

Per other literature of the period -- e.g.,  Burroughs, Buck Rogers -- all the planets of the solar system are inhabited by assorted someones/somethings.  Lt. Gulliver of the British Navy landed on Mars via an actual magic carpet.  Wealthy aviator Carson Napier built a rocketship and headed for Mars but ended up on Venus (good pilot, lousy navigator).  Both Buck Rogers and the experimental chemist who commissioned the "Skylark of Space" had access to anti-gravity technology that enabled them to jaunt around the void.  So Mythos portals and garden-variety magic aren't your investigators' only options for winding up elsewhere.  Exploring the wrong cave or remote river system could deposit them some place that isn't Kansas anymore. And of course there's always a despicable space tyrant awaiting them and maybe unscrupulous human competitors trying to follow them to steal the loot and glory.

RogerBW

There was a vague idea in the 19th century that planets might be thrown off by the Sun and gradually drift outwards; that's why you get "old" Mars with its decayed civilisation, and "young" Venus with its swamps and dinosaurs. In which case the outer planets would be very old…

Dante7
On 12/04/2019 at 07:48, ColonelAutumn9155 said:

Yuggoth, and those pesky Mi-Go, are always a possibility. They are, after all, the archetypical "aliens" of the mythos.

Saturn or the Moon, and the eponymous Cats From, spring to mind. I believe Tsathaggua was worshipped on Saturn, if that helps.

Saturn aka Cykranosh. :) 

and don't forget Uranus/L'gy'hx

https://yog-blogsoth.blogspot.com/search/label/Cuboid Being

and Neptune/Yaksh

https://yog-blogsoth.blogspot.com/2011/11/neptunian.html

maybe Venus

https://yog-blogsoth.blogspot.com/search/label/Venusian

ans good ol' Mars with it's Aihais, Yorhis, and Uliri

And the Jovian Nightmares monograph covers Jupiter/Ylidiomph

I vaguely recall some reference to Mercury as well

We also have this handy little Wikipedia page for more beyond the solar system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_places_in_the_Cthulhu_Mythos

Jasonw

Thanks for everyones responses, I very much like the idea @OneoftheDeep suggested by sending the investigators to Celeno and ending up near the Great Library so I am going to try and dig that supplement up and see If I can gain any inspiration for a scenario.

The one thing I am conscious of is not making their little trip too ridicules and give them some possibility of making a return trip back to earth.

As peer @yronimoswhateley I am planning on using the 'hune' organ coupled with an unknown device that one of the investigators currently has to initiate this trip which would allow them to make this trip without the space mead etc..

I need to do a bit more research and reading around to see if I can find a scenario that can be based in Celeno which then also leads to a relatively significant encounter with the possibility of some of the investigators making it back.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now