Kneller

CthulhuTech, anyone played it?

Kneller

I've heard and read about the game, but I've never met anyone who has actually played it. Does anyone have any experience with this one? What was your take on it? Thanks!

johnmcfloss

I played a two-three session one shot a few years back. Long enough that I don't really remember the rules (which I suppose means they weren't Awful!)

But I remember it being a bit tonally awkward - the pitch and drive is Giant Robots Vs Cthulhu, but in the interests of it not just being one long combat, we ended up out of our suits pretty quickly (Which I believe made a couple of us significantly less effective). I understand that's a consistent issue in campaigns, unless you're very careful about which character types you allow.

That said, a friend was selling a copy of the core book last year, and I picked it up. I'm not sure I plan on running it, but there's potential there.

RogerBW

The probabilities are a bit broken (many people don't care about that but I do). 

Everybody has special powers.

I'm not a purist in Trail of Cthulhu terms, but for me when Lovecraftian entities turn into monsters to punch in the face with your giant robot suit, I think that the Lovecraftianness is lost.

yronimoswhateley

I'm not at all familiar with CthulhuTech, but I'll agree with RogerBW that turning Mythos Nasties into little more than cannon fodder for giant robot suits (or for dungeon-crawling fantasy heroes, for that matter) would lose a lot of the atmosphere of Lovecraftian "cosmicism" that a good Weird story seems to run on.

And, I'll also agree with johnmcfloss: there's still some potential there!

I can't help being reminded of the fun little Neon Genesis Evangeleon/Call of Cthulhu crossover fanfiction I read several years ago that did a fair job of mixing the Giant Robot and Cthulhu Mythos genres together without sacrificing mood too badly (for that matter, the original NGE television show already came close to Mythos material), and in many ways Warhammer 40K hits many of the same power-armor-meets-cosmic-horror notes (at least in the game "fluff" - I've never played Warhammer 40K either, but don't really picture the actual game feeling much like cosmic horror.)

I bet it's perfectly possible to write up a roleplaying game that combines all the mood and atmosphere of cosmic horror with such trappings of a "future tech" sci-fi setting as power armor, mecha, starships and the like, though I suspect that the more such a game emphasizes exploration, investigation, and horror role-playing over wargaming and combat, the better!

willmize

It's been a million years since I've watched Evangelion (might have to change that as the original is going to be on Netflix soon) but IIRC, wasn't a big reveal that

Spoiler

the Evangelion weren't robots, but were actual living creatures? 

Now that's something that you could work with for sure. 

- Bill

Dante7
2 hours ago, yronimoswhateley said:

I can't help being reminded of the fun little Neon Genesis Evangeleon/Call of Cthulhu crossover fanfiction I read several years ago that did a fair job of mixing the Giant Robot and Cthulhu Mythos genres together without sacrificing mood too badly (

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanFic/AeonEntelechyEvangelion

and...

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/AeonNatumEngel

both by the same author.  

and there's the unrelated

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/ChildrenOfAnElderGod

johnmcfloss
11 hours ago, willmize said:

It's been a million years since I've watched Evangelion (might have to change that as the original is going to be on Netflix soon) but IIRC, wasn't a big reveal that

Reveal hidden contents

the Evangelion weren't robots, but were actual living creatures? 

Now that's something that you could work with for sure. 

It was! And it's a theme in Cthulhutech as well for some of the character-types.

I'd highly recommend watching the Rebuild as an aside - it streamlines and tightens an awful lot of the original story. You lose a bit of the build and development, but it's ironically, far easier to follow because of that.

I think the game lends itself to a different kind of Lovecraftian Horror (which feels like a phrase that could start an awful lot of arguments!)

Something closer to The Whisper In Darkness (and possibly to a lesser degree, Rats in the Walls and Shadow Out Of Innsmouth) - the idea of trading away part of what makes you (or your community) human, to ensure it's survival or to experience something you couldn't otherwise, and the awareness that the rot in the world is reflected in the rot in yourself.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now