steviewevie

Masks of Nyarlathotep conversion to ToC

YunusWesley

Hi Stevie

I ran Masks using Trail in 2009 without anything like this! Good on ya, Pelgrane Press!

The 7e version of Masks is going to have somewhat different stats for NPCs and Monsters, but the differences between CoC 7 and the classic editions are much smaller than the differences between all BRP Cthulhu & Gumshoe. 7e stat changes are not going to make substantially different entities that you would need to worry about portraying correctly in Trail. 

Now, if they made changes to the events of the campaign and its chapters, that would alter core clues & supplementary clues... but they didn't CHANGE MASKS FOR REAL, DID THEY?! 

steviewevie
13 hours ago, YunusWesley said:

Now, if they made changes to the events of the campaign and its chapters, that would alter core clues & supplementary clues... but they didn't CHANGE MASKS FOR REAL, DID THEY?! 

They did change it for real, yes. It's not just a 7e upgrade. There's a whole new prelude chapter for starters, though I don't know the details of what changed exactly in the rest of the book(s).

So my question was really from the basis of thinking that some clues may well have changed.

YunusWesley

Damn!! I never expected that. Oh, Chaosium, you... very fine, not at all shady and unscrupulous company, whose well-known antics I need not mention... 

Well look the thing about converting scenarios for Trail is you need to read through carefully for yourself to understand the structure of the scenario. Direct understanding of what is there is superior to a guide saying what is a core clue and what is supplemental. When you understand what is there, it is usually not hard to discern the core clues, or to decide which out of a number of ambiguous clues that YOU are calling core. It is story logic;  it is a literary and critical thinking exercise, and probably a calculation of what your players will do, bc of course FINDING a core clue does not entail UNDERSTANDING it.

Anyway I apologize for my assumptions about the Masks campaign, & wish you the best close reading. 

Nico

From my experience apart from the clues found in the NY hotel and 1-2 in UK or Egypt, the reamaining one you can treat as non-core. I am playing with 4-PCs group and they have more than enough points for everything. 

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now