SavageBob

Suggestions for scenarios that begin with the unexplained?

SavageBob

So, I'm fairly new to Lovecraftian roleplaying,  but I'm planning to run a 1930s game where the PCs are a group of paranormal investigators. I don't have much time to develop my own scenarios, so I've been looking for some good ones to use that I can simply adapt to the era (since it's ten years later than the vast majority of Cthulhu adventures). The problem is that a lot of CoC and ToC scenarios seem to begin with a seemingly mundane mystery that turns out to have some paranormal or mythos elements (if not cause). I'm thinking this will be a pulpier game rather than a more purist experience.

With that in mind, can anyone recommend some good adventures that begin with the unexplained? What adventures are out there where they start with a ghost sighting, a bizarre occurrence, etc.? And as a secondary consideration, how might a traditional scenario be adapted so that the mythos or unexplained/paranormal element gets moved to the hook rather than a later reveal?

Thanks for any suggestions!

4Acrossisemu

The Haunting, Straight up haunting. 

Wail of the Witch - Woman dies of 'shock' or fear. 

Westchester house - Haunted house, based on the Winchester estate. 

Crimson Letters - starts with a close door murder, victim dying in a strange way

Servants of the Lake - It start mundane, but premise can be easily changed to investigators looking into odd occurrences at the lakeside, This is one of my all time favourite scenarios

Dead Light - Straight up they run into a horror. 

eternalchampion

The watchers in the sky, a nice ToC scenario in the 30s.

SavageBob

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm all ears if others have ideas, too.

ColonelAutumn9155

If you can get your hands on "The Great Old Ones" supplement, it has a scenario in it that I think might be perfect for your group.

"The Pale God" starts off with a skeptic who was staying the night in a "haunted" house contacting one of the investigators and then dying in an... Interesting manner when they show up. It sounds like it fits the bill for "beginning with the unexplained," and the fact that it involves a supposedly haunted house can be used to throw your investigators off the trail of the REAL threat... Though if I recall, I think the investigators might end up in England somehow, and I can't remember if they can get back the same way, so take that into consideration.

vincentVV

Errrr.... pardon me, but is there ANY COC scenarion that begins with something EXPLAINED? ))))

I've thought there's always a mystery at the beginning of every CoC scenario. ))

To add to the list - ToC Keepers of the Woods start with the invitation - and a sudden death.

SavageBob
On 17/03/2019 at 06:55, vincentVV said:

Errrr.... pardon me, but is there ANY COC scenarion that begins with something EXPLAINED? ))))

I've thought there's always a mystery at the beginning of every CoC scenario. ))

To add to the list - ToC Keepers of the Woods start with the invitation - and a sudden death.

Perhaps I should say, "starts with the paranormal." The conceit is that I'm trying to capture the vibe of The X-Files, not the vibe of the typical CoC scenario, where it seems to be more of a situation where a mundane mystery turns out to involve occult/paranormal phenomena.

Thanks to those who have offered suggestions! I may also reskin some of these for Ghostbusters, actually. :)

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now