andreroy

CoC Wishlist.

WinstonP
On 22/03/2019 at 17:21, willmize said:

I'm seriously thinking about getting a starter paint set and trying my hand at a cultist or two.

Robes can cover a myriad of painting sins. In a similar vein my “best” AD&D miniature painting work was on a collection of oozes, puddings, and jellies. 

andreroy
On 22/03/2019 at 14:29, ColonelAutumn9155 said:

I'd love to see a book or five dedicated solely to all the "lost" lands and civilizations: Valusia, Hyperborea, Kn-Ya'an, G'harne, Lemuria, Mu, etc.

I had not thought of that, but it would be a great addition.

Robin
On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:29, ColonelAutumn9155 said:

I'd love to see a book or five dedicated solely to all the "lost" lands and civilizations: Valusia, Hyperborea, Kn-Ya'an, G'harne, Lemuria, Mu, etc...

Yes, that's a really good, interesting idea, although I wonder how much gameable source material there is, and how much would have to be wholly new. (Not that new material would be a bad thing.)

I think any such book would also need some material on methods of time travel (magic, devices, ancient gates, dreams, hidden paths, timeslips, seances-gone-wrong), as GMs are likely to want to take PCs from their existing campaigns on visits to the past.

Regards,

Robin

Blackmyron

I've actually been rooting for a Boston sourcebook for years; it deserves treatment as the closest major city to Lovecraft Country, and also the setting of numerous adventures.

A Providence one would work too.

Graham

I'd like to second the request for Boston it seems to have been a popular location in the fiction, at least if my research for the 'Fictional Newspapers' listing is anything to go by, with no less than 5 major newspapers showing up in the literature.

JeffErwin

I have some detailed notes on the real world location of Randolph Carter's apartment and the Cabot Museum if anyone does decide to write a Boston Sourcebook...

Travern
On 22/03/2019 at 10:29, ColonelAutumn9155 said:

I'd love to see a book or five dedicated solely to all the "lost" lands and civilizations: Valusia, Hyperborea, Kn-Ya'an, G'harne, Lemuria, Mu, etc...

Maybe some ideas for campaigns based on the discovery, subsequent expeditions, and exploration of these places?

This could be a great resource book/expansion for Pulp Cthulhu, though I'm unsure how much value it would have for Purist CoC.  HPL loved mysterious allusions to sunken continents/lost worlds/the hollow earth, etc., but when it came to settings, he preferred the abandoned alien civilizations of "The Shadow Out of Time" and "At the Mountains of Madness" than actual lost worlds like that of the ghost-written "The Mound".

14 hours ago, Blackmyron said:

I've actually been rooting for a Boston sourcebook for years; it deserves treatment as the closest major city to Lovecraft Country, and also the setting of numerous adventures.

A Providence one would work too.

Now that Chaosium has published supplements for the fictional Arkham and Kingsport, it's high time to turn to real world locations in Lovecraft Country.  Providence should be a no-brainer, and Boston has more than enough fictional locales to warrant its own title.

wcburns

I've read a bit of the old Dreamlands books, but I'd very much like to see some more material on it. More scenarios, maybe a bit more detail on some of the locations, things like that.

It's one of those things where HPL himself was very vague about it. And indeed, like a dream, it always seems like something half-remembered. But it's something that makes doing a session involving it a little more difficult to get past the concept phase.

SunlessNick
On 12/03/2019 at 00:03, Dante7 said:

Like an expanded version of The Terror monograph? 

I would go for this in a shot!  The political horrors of the Soviet regime, left over from the Tsars, and the strife in between them.  The Soviets rejected all things supernatural, but still twisted science in favour of their ideology (the Lysenkoist theory of evolution, for example) and have a reputation for weird, paranormal experiments (granted, that reputation is as overblown as the Nazis' for occult, but still) - all fertile ground for Mythos revelations, but also dedicated Mythos hunters.  There's a Christian church different from the ones most western readers will be used to, to say nothing of weird-ass sects like the Skoptsi or Khlisti - and then the echoes of Russian paganism and folklore (imagine Misery as an avatar of Nyarlathotep, or a psychic disease "conscience out of space") - and the older secrets of Siberian or Central Asian peoples.  There was a philosophal movement literally called God-Building (it held that while deities might be metaphors, the practice of religion was a social good, and advocated building a religion around the veneration of human achievement - that sound you hear is Nyarlathotep eagerly unwrapping his present).  And let's not forget that Russia is enormous, and Soviet Union even more so - there's room to hide anything.

On 12/03/2019 at 23:30, JeffErwin said:

Not yet. I have a fair few hundred pages on the the subject I have contemplated cleaning up for the game, as it happens. 

A Horror on the Orient Express Companion in the vein of the Masks of Nyarlathotep one would do well.

On 22/03/2019 at 14:29, ColonelAutumn9155 said:

One would probably do it, but Id love it.

On 26/03/2019 at 13:47, Travern said:

Now that Chaosium has published supplements for the fictional Arkham and Kingsport, it's high time to turn to real world locations in Lovecraft Country.  Providence should be a no-brainer, and Boston has more than enough fictional locales to warrant its own title.

Great idea.  Given that real-world information is avaialble, they might not have to cover history and geography so much as for the fictional towns.  More focus on the Mythos elements, and it might be feasible to do them in one (bigger) book.

On 26/03/2019 at 18:30, wcburns said:

I've read a bit of the old Dreamlands books, but I'd very much like to see some more material on it. More scenarios, maybe a bit more detail on some of the locations, things like that.

My favourite Dreamlands scenario is Whore of Baharna, from Adventures in Arkham Country.  It centres ** Spoiler warning of course ** around an elderly nun who entered the convent as a young woman after the man she loved died at sea.  Her buried grief and resentments are manifesting in her dreams as two alternate selves, one succubus-like one hag-like, which are terrorising the city of Baharna.  The nun thinks these are just dreams, and regularly confesses them to her priest - she's not evil, and would be appalled if she learned that the people she's hurting really exist - but she can't control her subconscious mind, especially in her sleep.  A book of scenarios like that - revolving around psychological issues and deep-seated emotions - which treat the Dreamlands as a place where dreams happen - would do much to differentiate it from a regular fantasy world.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now