andreroy

CoC Wishlist.

andreroy

Following a similar thread idea in another forum, what CoC books that doesn't exit would you like to see and maybe tells us a bit why you'd like to see those. I greatly enjoy what we have so far and I'm also really curious to see what else you would like to have.

As for me, there  the are a few I'd love to see.

Normandy, Brittany and the Channel Islands, these 3 zone, could probably be taken individually as they all have a rich and unique history, but taken together, they form an interesting cluster for adventure.

Secrets of the Middle Kingdom, China in the 1920 was quite interesting and they had a lot going around and I would love to see a book covering that (I know it exist in German, but my skill in that language are poor), I would probably also add some info about Macao, Hong Kong and the various European Trade Consessions for completeness.  

- Spain, Basque Country and Andorra, Another unique area of Europe with interesting history and a lot going on in the 20's and 30's.

Imperial Japan, Secret of Japan is great for Modern Japan, but Imperial Japan (1868-1945) would be a good Gaslight and Classic Cthulhu supplement.  The conflicts, the Secret Societies and the various conquered territories (Ryukyu Islands, Kuril Islands, Daito Islands, Taiwan, South Sakhalin, Guandong Lease Territory, Korea, the former German territory in China and the Pacific, Manchuria, Mongolia and other Chinese Puppet States) would give us a lot of milage to roleplay that Asian Power Block.

- French Orient, Unlikely, but I would love to see a book cover the various Asian possession of France from the Middle-East (Lebanon and Syria), French India (Pondicherry and other French cities), Indochina and Lease territories in China).

As you can see, my wish list has a strong European and Asian component. How about yours?

Travern

For CoC's "classic" era:

Russia.  The '20s spanned the tail end of the Bolshevik Revolution and Russian Civil War through the early days of the USSR under the declining Lenin to the beginnings of Stalin's totalitarian rule. You couldn't ask for a more historically momentous and chaotic setting.

– Wisconsin.  Update the "Wisconsin Death Trip" for 20s adventuring in the weird home state of August Derleth and Robert Bloch.

– The Philippines. The region's rich supernatural lore would be a terrific addition to the Mythos (the interstitial period between the Spanish-American War and Independence for the archipelago isn't especially exciting, but adventurers could run across pirates and headhunters in a pulp setting).

For modern CoC:

– The 50s.  The "sourcebook" appendix of Atomic-Age Cthulhu could easily be expanded into a full supplement.  Cold War paranoia, UFO scares, suburban conformism only scratch the surface of an outwardly idyllic, inwardly foreboding era.

– The 70s.  The dismal decade that buried the optimism of the 60s is the perfect breeding ground for Mythos horrors, not to mention the hey-day of real-world cults (e.g. the Manson Family, Heaven's Gate, the Peoples Temple) and serial killers (e.g. Ted Bundy, Edmund Kemper, John Wayne Gacy, and the Zodiac Killer).

– The 80s. New-Wave Cthulhu.  'Nuf said.

klecser

I think that the Peru Chapter for Masks has really opened up a great case for a setting book for South or Central America. No brainer for Pulp.

Mysterioso

China and Russia would both be fantastic.  (I'd argue that the the Russian Civil War had so much going on in it that it could be a book in and of itself.  Then another book on Stalinist USSR could be another using scenarios that already exist with a bit more background information provided.)

A 1970s source book would also be quite welcome.

andreroy
35 minutes ago, klecser said:

I think that the Peru Chapter for Masks has really opened up a great case for a setting book for South or Central America. No brainer for Pulp.

Pagan Publishing's Mysteries of Mesoamerica does a good job for Mexico and northern part of Central America, but yeah that would definitely be nice.

Intebellum Russia would also be pretty interesting to see.

eternalchampion

I would like to see a "Strange Aeons III". I would also like more modern scenarios, preferably with themes that are up to this date, like the internet, mobile phones, mass culture, biotechnology, human enhancement, climate change, the fear of a nuclear war, etc.

Source books on modern time places would be welcome, nut maybe this is too much to ask.

A continuation of the Dark ages line.

littleo

Yes, I love sourcebooks but I love campaigns more. The massive world spanning campaigns are difficult for groups to complete. I would like several smaller campaigns- 3 to 4 scenarios in a single or few locales. New Orleans would be a good locale, Lovecraft country of course.

I would also love to see the Colonial Lovecraft books by Kevin Ross come out as they ping off my favorite Lovecraft tale.

Golden Goblin teased a globe trotting campaign dealing with some of Lovecraft's loose ends. This was before they secured the Invictus license, so presume this has been shelved indefinitely.

M

rsanford

I agree with Luttleo, some medium sized campaigns would be nice and New Orleans is perfect.

cpt_machine

I’d love to see more smaller local campaigns that tend to avoid globe trotting. I know it finishes in Nepal but I loved Tatters of the King for sticking to the UK for so long.

mercwerk
15 minutes ago, cpt_machine said:

I’d love to see more smaller local campaigns that tend to avoid globe trotting. I know it finishes in Nepal but I loved Tatters of the King for sticking to the UK for so long.

Will be publishing one soon.

klecser
On 10/03/2019 at 03:42, andreroy said:

Pagan Publishing's Mysteries of Mesoamerica does a good job for Mexico and northern part of Central America, but yeah that would definitely be nice.

I did not know this existed, thank you!

mvincent
On 09/03/2019 at 16:20, Travern said:

– The 80s. New-Wave Cthulhu.  'Nuf said.

I think 80s Cthulhu adventures are an excellent idea. This decade always seems to generate a lot of interest at conventions, likely relating to the popularity of Stranger Things and other 80's nostalgia. It's an era that feels like a different world, but without a learning curve (and is thus easily approachable for beginners). Pus, the lack of internet/cell phones/etc. makes investigations scarier (and more manageable for the referee).

The thing is: this would be the easiest for Chaosium to accommodate. I recently ran an 80s campaign because the 'modern' adventures I had were actually written in the 80s. Chaosium could just re-release their old modern adventures without trying to update them to today's technology. Classics.

willmize
5 hours ago, mvincent said:

The thing is: this would be the easiest for Chaosium to accommodate. I recently ran an 80s campaign because the 'modern' adventures I had were actually written in the 80s. Chaosium could just re-release their old modern adventures without trying to update them to today's technology. Classics.

I would want a Buckaroo Banzai and the Hong Kong Cavaliers (and Blue Blaze Irregulars) versus the Mythos all the time, any time.

- Bill

mvincent
4 hours ago, willmize said:

I would want a Buckaroo Banzai and the Hong Kong Cavaliers (and Blue Blaze Irregulars) versus the Mythos all the time, any time.

I was thinking more Kids-On-Bikes or High-schooler tropes (along with the 80s Lovecraft  horror movies, after-all this is a Mythos oriented venue), but I could see mixing in a bit of Jack-Burton.

Dante7
On 10/03/2019 at 00:20, Travern said:

– Wisconsin.  Update the "Wisconsin Death Trip" for 20s adventuring in the weird home state of August Derleth and Robert Bloch.

Anyone else want to see hodags get a Mythos treatment? :)

– Russia.  The '20s spanned the tail end of the Bolshevik Revolution and Russian Civil War through the early days of the USSR under the declining Lenin to the beginnings of Stalin's totalitarian rule. You couldn't ask for a more historically momentous and chaotic setting.

Like an expanded version of The Terror monograph?

On 10/03/2019 at 00:20, Travern said:

– The 50s.  The "sourcebook" appendix of Atomic-Age Cthulhu could easily be expanded into a full supplement.  Cold War paranoia, UFO scares, suburban conformism only scratch the surface of an outwardly idyllic, inwardly foreboding era.

Ala the Cold War book for World War Cthulhu?

On 10/03/2019 at 17:16, littleo said:

Golden Goblin teased a globe trotting campaign dealing with some of Lovecraft's loose ends. This was before they secured the Invictus license, so presume this has been shelved indefinitely.

I had no idea about this, and am most intrigued.  Is there anywhere where I can find out more?

Travern

7 hours ago, mvincent said:

I think 80s Cthulhu adventures are an excellent idea. This decade always seems to generate a lot of interest at conventions, likely relating to the popularity of Stranger Things and other 80's nostalgia. It's an era that feels like a different world, but without a learning curve (and is thus easily approachable for beginners). Pus, the lack of internet/cell phones/etc. makes investigations scarier (and more manageable for the referee).

The 80s were a weird decade, and it's not a coincidence that HPL's popularity took off then.  In terms of real-world pop culture, the Ghostbusters movies, John Carpenter's The Thing, and The Evil Dead all show his influence, in varying degrees (not to mention the direct adaptations Re-Animator, From Beyond, and The Unnamable).  I was also thinking about the eerily alienated atmosphere of "New Wave" indie films like Repo Man, Liquid Sky, and the unproduced H. R. Geiger-designed The Tourist, as well as the outputs of Davids Lynch and Cronenberg that decade.

And I'd like to see an update of Marcus Rowland's seminal "Cthulhu Now!" articles for The White Dwarf in 1983. 

45 minutes ago, Dante7 said:

Anyone else want to see hodags get a Mythos treatment? :)

On that note, a Mythos-ized compendium of North American cryptids, legendary beasts, and "fearsome critters" could be entertaining, something along the lines of Manly Wade Wellman's bestiary.  (A Manly Wade Wellman sourcebook would be pretty nice, too.)

littleo

Dante 7, it was teased 2x I think on MUP podcast, but I don't recall if any mention ever appeared in writing. I recall they said they had the writers lined up, so it must have been a bit beyond the idea phase. Dealing with a certain wizard mentioned in letters in Lovecraft's- a castle in Eastern Europe.

M

ennui

I would love to see a translation of "Cthulhu and the Empire", the supplement that covers Taisho era Japan.

andreroy
15 minutes ago, ennui said:

I would love to see a translation of "Cthulhu and the Empire", the supplement that covers Taisho era Japan.

Short of getting the full Imperial Japan era  (1868-1945  so Meiji, Taisho and earlier part of Showa era) from my original post, that translation would be nice to get.

ennui

Bakumatsu, Meiji, Taisho and Showa each certainly deserve a full dedicated book 😃

johnfrasene

Is there a good source book for Venice, or does the HotOE book cover the city thoroughly?

andreroy
1 hour ago, ennui said:

Bakumatsu, Meiji, Taisho and Showa each certainly deserve a full dedicated book 😃

Indeed they do as each Era had a lot going on enough for a full manual each. But, being practice here, a more condensed volume version would probably be easier to pull..

JeffErwin
1 hour ago, johnfrasene said:

Is there a good source book for Venice, or does the HotOE book cover the city thoroughly?

Not yet. I have a fair few hundred pages on the the subject I have contemplated cleaning up for the game, as it happens.

johnfrasene

Excellent!  I would be keen to read it.  I've always thought the expedition to bring back the body of St. Mark was ripe for Mythos potential.

Dante7
18 hours ago, Travern said:

On that note, a Mythos-ized compendium of North American cryptids, legendary beasts, and "fearsome critters" could be entertaining, something along the lines of Manly Wade Wellman's bestiary.  (A Manly Wade Wellman sourcebook would be pretty nice, too.)

I would be all about a Wellman sourcebook!  An entire campaign could be based just around the Shonokins.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now