Oladahn

Recovering power option.

Oladahn

Question regarding the possibility of recovering power.

Going to be running my first RPG game for many years shortly, two to three weeks time.

The first session is going to be taken up with the exact system we'll be running, my preference at the moment is for a low to medium pulp, and with generating the investigators. With maybe a little play to whet the players appetite.

I notice that in the core rule book (7e) that power when lost is gone forever. But it also states that optionally on a roll of 01 on a luck roll or via a successful POW roll when casting it is possible to increase the investigators power by d10.

I might be missing it but I can't see any special rules for recovering power in the pulp supplement.

What I think I might do, as we will be playing pulp, is allow a player to convert some or all of their luck rolls at the investigator development phase to recover their power instead.

Any thoughts?

nclarke

Generally allowing players access to magic in CoC is regarded as a bad thing for a Keeper to do and as magic casting usually costs SAN anyone (PC) using magic is likely to go mad before they run out of POW.

One the subject of Magic:

The core rules p176 say "Once an individual is out of Magic points, any further expenditure is deducted directly from hit points"

Again on recovering MP the core rules p176 say "Regeneration of Magic points is a natural function, returning at one Magic point per hour (two Magic points per hour for those with POW over 100, three Magic points per
hour if POW is over 200 and so on). The number of Magic points cannot regenerate to a value above one-fifth of the character’s POW".

You need to have the CoC core rules as the Pulp supplement is just a supplement to the main core rules where these things are generally explained.

Oladahn
2 hours ago, nclarke said:

You need to have the CoC core rules as the Pulp supplement is just a supplement to the main core rules where these things are generally explained.

Hi, I've got the 7e rules. My question was more to do with the consequences of power loss. Some creatures, such as ghosts, can drain power from an investigator and the core rule book states that power loss is permanent. This might mean for instance that the investigator is like a zombie. I'm thinking of allowing my players to convert some of their luck roll, as part of any character development phase, into power.

klecser
2 hours ago, nclarke said:

Generally allowing players access to magic in CoC is regarded as a bad thing for a Keeper to do

I'm a bit puzzled by what you mean by this statement.  The risks of engaging with the Mythos and seeing the outcomes of those risks play out in the game is kind of a core component of Call of Cthulhu.  I can get behind "risk," but "bad" implies that a Keeper shouldn't give out magic.  I believe that an experienced and thoughtful Keeper can effectively manage a slow burn of magic injected into a campaign and thoughtful players are judicious in recognizing the risks, using it only when they think necessary, and even then finding things can go very wrong. The rules are set up such that Investigators have to work to get access to magic.  The Keeper ultimately has total control over what players have access to. Every Keeper style is different, so I don't believe in advising people that they "shouldn't do X." That probably wasn't what you intended, but I'm reading a value judgment on magic that sounds counter-productive to what a lot of people love about the game.

If Oladahn is creating a game where they and the Investigators want to have magic access and research be a primary theme of their game, then they make it a primary theme of their game.

@Oladahn Sounds fine to me.  It's your game.  You set the rules for managing the mechanics of your game. Permanent POW losses can be fun, because they teach players about the risks of what they are doing.  Yet, if you are wanting to run a Pulp-style game and you want to mitigate the possibility of characters being taken out of action by POW losses entirely, you have three options: 1) Just don't play those mechanics as written in the rules. (No POW loss from an attack) 2) Consider a compromise option in which the POW loss is less, or slowly recovers.  You get the benefits of risk, but a risk that does not grind campaign momentum to a halt or 3) consider using your alternate mechanic.

Oladahn
8 hours ago, nclarke said:

Generally allowing players access to magic in CoC is regarded as a bad thing for a Keeper to do and as magic casting usually costs SAN anyone (PC) using magic is likely to go mad before they run out of POW.

Again on recovering MP the core rules p176 say "Regeneration of Magic points is a natural function, returning at one Magic point per hour (two Magic points per hour for those with POW over 100, three Magic points per hour if POW is over 200 and so on). The number of Magic points cannot regenerate to a value above one-fifth of the character’s POW".

I think I know what you mean. Magic should be rare and dangerous and care should be taken that it doesn't become commonplace.

I only referenced magic as the book states that POW loss is permanent but it can be increased via a successful POW roll (such as when casting a spell) or a very successful luck roll.

nclarke
23 hours ago, klecser said:

I'm a bit puzzled by what you mean by this statement.  The risks of engaging with the Mythos and seeing the outcomes of those risks play out in the game is kind of a core component of Call of Cthulhu.  I can get behind "risk," but "bad" implies that a Keeper shouldn't give out magic.  I believe that an experienced and thoughtful Keeper can effectively manage a slow burn of magic injected into a campaign and thoughtful players are judicious in recognizing the risks, using it only when they think necessary, and even then finding things can go very wrong. The rules are set up such that Investigators have to work to get access to magic.  The Keeper ultimately has total control over what players have access to. Every Keeper style is different, so I don't believe in advising people that they "shouldn't do X." That probably wasn't what you intended, but I'm reading a value judgment on magic that sounds counter-productive to what a lot of people love about the game.

If Oladahn is creating a game where they and the Investigators want to have magic access and research be a primary theme of their game, then they make it a primary theme of their game.

TBH Oladahn seemed to be a new Keeper and it's easy for a GM who hasn't had much experience to see the Magic chapter and, if they haven't had much contact with Lovecraft's work, might not realise that Magic in CoC is the start of a downward spiral. Allowing players to easily access magic can turn a horror game into something Runequest-like where every character has access to magic making it a very different game. Player expectations can be confused if they are expecting The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and got something from Stephen Donaldson instead.

While you may not believe in advising Keeper's how to run their game it's obvious that many new Keepers do come here for advice and guidance.

klecser
7 hours ago, nclarke said:

While you may not believe in advising Keeper's how to run their game it's obvious that many new Keepers do come here for advice and guidance.

The danger of "advice" is that it often isn't tailored to the unique needs of individuals.  Given that there is not one "right" way to Keep, I've learned that presenting a range of options is most effective in helping people who seek advice.

So I appreciate the spirit of your advice, I just want to be sure the TC hears different perspectives. I think we owe it to new Keepers to know why  certain aspects should be avoided.  New Keepers also have a tendency to take absolute-sounding advice as gospel, giving us a responsibility to explain that advice, so it doesn't do things we didn't intend. When new Keepers hear that something is "bad", my experience has been that they can sometimes take that as meaning they should never do that, ever. 

Edit: In an effort to clear the air, I just want to say that I respect the heck out of nclarke's perspective on these Boards.  I also very much want all Keepers (especially new ones) to succeed.  My comments have been made in the spirit of us all doing our collective best to give each Keeper whatever it is they need to succeed.  We all know how intent translates poorly through text.

Oladahn

Thanks all, I appreciate everyone's comments.

Just to clear one issue up, I'm not  a brand new keeper. I am however a keeper returning after a long long break 25+ years.

I'm an oldie at 62. I first started role playing sometime around 1979/1980. 

I've played D&D, Avanced D&D, 2nd edtition, Traveller, Aliens and obviously, Cthulhu.

I'm just aware that things change and want to make sure I'm with the plan. 7th edition is fairly different to the game we used to play.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now