Rookery

Lovecraftian magic, spells and rituals

thevampman24
7 hours ago, ZeroMostel said:

Mind if I take your verbiage and my art and run with that?

I have a ton of fonts and background. I think I can do you justice.

Go right ahead my friend.

RogerBW

Very nice!

Now leave it under somebody's bed for 300 years, spill some coffee on it, and scribble crazed annotations in the margins. :)

JoeKenobi

Very impressed by many of the suggestions here--including the rituals developed by thevampman and ZeroMostel. Rookery, you've challenged me to think harder about outside-the-box ritual requirements that mix the spooky, difficult, and possible.

I'm curious, are there other good online resources/repositories for the possible text and rituals associated with certain spells? I'm running The Haunting for a relatively new group of players (we're a few scenarios in) and plan to introduce the opportunity to learn a spell for the first time with Summon Dimensional Shambler. (I'll note I'm considering simply adapting your Summon Shantak spell for this purpose.)

thevampman24
11 hours ago, JoeKenobi said:

I'm curious, are there other good online resources/repositories for the possible text and rituals associated with certain spells? I'm running The Haunting for a relatively new group of players (we're a few scenarios in) and plan to introduce the opportunity to learn a spell for the first time with Summon Dimensional Shambler. (I'll note I'm considering simply adapting your Summon Shantak spell for this purpose.)

I know of no such repository sadly. I know the guy who runs Propnomicon thought about making such  a wiki for if I remember correctly a kind of Open-source Necronomicon but I don’t think it went anywhere. And I am honestly honored you’re think of adapting one of my rites.

I’m at work as of typing this but if you want something akin to my Shantak spell I’ll see what I can do for the shambler.

RogerBW
3 minutes ago, thevampman24 said:

I know the guy who runs Propnomicon thought about making such  a wiki for if I remember correctly a kind of Open-source Necronomicon

This is an adventure waiting to happen, isn't it?

"See, there's this collaboration site where we're making occult tomes for our games, and this one guy started uploading a lot of stuff, really good stuff, but all of a sudden he hasn't logged in for a month…"

Rookery

Some awesome stuff here - and your magic circles are great Zeromostel. I've been messing around with trying to create a minor mythos tome as a prop handout, so I'm happy to share that and knock up some extra rituals. I've done:

How to Call forthe a Celestial Servant (Summon/bind Dimensional Shambler),

A Working to transform your shape (Bodywarping)

How to create a Bullae Amulet

Contact Bugg-Shaash

Summon Turura

Most of the rest of it is just creepy woodcut stuff from online, and the text bulked out by other various online resourses - creepy fiction snippets, some Lovecraft poetry, bits of old Hermetic texts or theology. I'd be happy to share it when it's finished.

Edit: A quick sample

image.png.fd201ae2b13f948f35c07963be58258d.png

image.png.91df0c97796254d78df52e8a664c8448.png

image.png.3aa0957bc7f9b0c9bacd43b148622dbc.png

It's still rough - and I apologise for my bad sketch copy from Field Guide to Lovecraftian horrors. Generally for handouts I try to stain and distress them so the flaws aren't as obvious. Also I need a decent font.

Malkavellian

Call - Dismiss Small Crawler (Panchama Veda).png

JoeKenobi
4 hours ago, thevampman24 said:

And I am honestly honored you’re think of adapting one of my rites.

I’m at work as of typing this but if you want something akin to my Shantak spell I’ll see what I can do for the shambler.

I ended up giving it a spin last night and came up with something I can share. It's on my personal computer, and I'm also currently at work--but will post it here tonight.

thevampman24

Again the circle goes to Zeromostel since I am no artist but here is one Summon/bind Dimensional Shambler as an excerpt from Corbitt's Diary.

Corbitt Diary.pdf

JoeKenobi
11 hours ago, thevampman24 said:

Again the circle goes to Zeromostel since I am no artist but here is one Summon/bind Dimensional Shambler as an excerpt from Corbitt's Diary.

Nice--I like how you worked it into the journal, too!

I've attached the document I put together, modeled as I said on your approach to the Shantak spell, and using one of ZeroMostel's images. I've been using these handouts for this go at The Haunting, so made a sloppy attempt in Paint to throw it into the Corbitt journal format found there. The font is almost illegible for some of the non-English fake words/phrases I used--I can't decide if that's a bug or a feature.

Spell_Call Forth the Opener of Ways.docx

Spell_Call Forth the Opener of Ways.jpg

ZeroMostel

Since before I had my Deviantart account, I was making magic circles and the like, Partly because I don't like the fact that artists want $75 a pop, pay in advance for their work. I have been stiffed by several artists who never produced and that's just wrong> So rather than bitch about the problem, I did something about it. I think My prices are fair, Free for your personal use, and I have even gotten a few commissions.

However, recent event, before this thread, made me want to quit. The Larp Community I was with turned very PC and Blue at the same time. It polarized to where if you were not 100% for people, you were considered 100% against them and had to be ostracized.

So, I am really happy to see people using my art and thanking me for it.. 😂

I would love to try an make a Mystic tome. So far I have seen one man who made 2 limited editions, put them on Kickstarter and got them made and sold for some seriously big bucks.

While I can draw the magic glyphs and the like, the verbiage is a little beyond me. I need a few hours to warm up to Lovecraftian mythos and then cut loose. I'd love to jam with a couple people and see where it goes.

thevampman24

Maybe Yog-sothoth should resurrect Propnomicons idea of a repository of various spells,catalogs of spirits and Mythos brings,cultist prayers and hymns and the like.

But that may be a lot of work to not only to moderate to prevent vandalism but also to make sure people aren’t stealing from there and selling the spells and glyphs like they were their own.

Who knows right?

ZeroMostel
16 hours ago, thevampman24 said:

But that may be a lot of work to not only to moderate to prevent vandalism but also to make sure people aren’t stealing from there and selling the spells and glyphs like they were their own.

I have found my work being stolen and one time used on a T shirt for a neo Nazi group. I told them to pay up or I would sue. They folded.

But people are going to plagiarize and outright steal from anyone. But if that's gonna stop you from creating, don't ever show your work to anyone.

thevampman24
14 hours ago, ZeroMostel said:

I have found my work being stolen and one time used on a T shirt for a neo Nazi group. I told them to pay up or I would sue. They folded.

But people are going to plagiarize and outright steal from anyone. But if that's gonna stop you from creating, don't ever show your work to anyone.

I see Than maybe  The Libram Sothoth could exist but that is a little out there right now. Till then maybe, we should just keep sharing our stuff from circles and glyphs to rites and incantations. Agin just spitballing and the like.

thevampman24

Inspired by the Rookery's attempt at making a proper mythos tome if even just a minor one. Here are the beginnings of my tome.

The Confession.pdf

ZeroMostel
12 hours ago, thevampman24 said:

Inspired by the Rookery's attempt at making a proper mythos tome if even just a minor one. Here are the beginnings of my tome.

Looks good.

thevampman24
19 hours ago, Nick Storm said:

Here's the pinnacle. The 'Kadath' of Tome / prop-making.

Well, he has a new patron and now I need to save up some money to get the previous leaves.

But now even more reason to keep going with our projects. He has achieved his goal now so must we.

Excelsior!

JoeKenobi
19 hours ago, Nick Storm said:

Here's the pinnacle. The 'Kadath' of Tome / prop-making.

That's pretty incredible.

While it would be awesome to have a copy of the Necronomicon in this style, I'm also pretty intrigued by the premise of this thread under Rookery: Rather than a tome, I'm looking for ways to flesh out different spells and rituals that might come up across several scenarios and campaigns. The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but rather than one large tome to turn over to my investigators when they find it, I like the idea of slowly spoonfeeding them many different and bizarre spells and rituals.

thevampman24
On 12/02/2019 at 01:51, JoeKenobi said:

While it would be awesome to have a copy of the Necronomicon in this style, I'm also pretty intrigued by the premise of this thread under Rookery: Rather than a tome, I'm looking for ways to flesh out different spells and rituals that might come up across several scenarios and campaigns. The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but rather than one large tome to turn over to my investigators when they find it, I like the idea of slowly spoonfeeding them many different and bizarre spells and rituals.

I do see where your coming from and I do think a nice keepers resource of just some random rituals would be very nice. Having a proper tome could also give you that feel since no one says you have to give it to them all at once, A page here a section there.

Could be great fun if they cast a few spells only to find a more complete version of the tome and see that the warning/side effects of the magic were listed after the spells.

thevampman24

The Confession part 1.pdf

The first section of my tome. Feels lacking but not sure what to do.

ZeroMostel
On 13/02/2019 at 21:33, thevampman24 said:

The Confession part 1.pdf

The first section of my tome. Feels lacking but not sure what to do.

All in all, it's a good start. It is though rather sterile. It lacks character. 

If all it is is a text paper, then basically just tighten it up. However if it is a manuscript, it needs the proper paper background, the right font. maybe even illuminations.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now