Sign in to follow this  
Nightbreed24

Chthonian investigation issues

Nightbreed24

I've started writing a Modern (2017) scenario for our annual, week-long summer role-playing event set in the ongoing, labyrinthine Southern Sudanese civil war. We're using the Hungarian 5.5th edition. My future players will choose between being soldiers of the third Chinese peacekeeping infantry battalion, or working for China Central Television. I will even buy some Chinese field rations as props. I want to use monsters I've never used before: the chthonians. These ancient, cunning horrors are exploiting the crisis to feed their spawn by mentally dominating pro-government Sudan People's Liberation Army unit commanders and opposing forces alike. Perhaps the mysterious prophet named Dak Kueth, whose visions influence the feared tribal militia: the Nuer White Army.

But how to investigate them if you want to abandon the clichéd egg plot hook? I think, that chthonians are pretty difficult to write about, like nightgaunts and elder things. My ideas so far:

- Chanting heard in the distance. (Listen)

- Dinka refugees (fleeing towards Juba, the capitol from said White Army) sitting/laying in the bush or on the side of the road, silent and unmovable.
- Drained corpses. (First Aid)

- Hideous, octopus-like suction marks on the dead. (Biology)

GBSteve

You've seen Tremors, of course?

- A single body lying naked off the road, stripped of all hair, its equipment scattered around a wide area, some caught up trees.

- Strange portents, a freak wave depositing a Nile boat, stranding it in the middle of a road, cars slowing suddenly to avoid it.

- Booming noises like far off artillery.

- Electrical disturbances and lightning, but no rain - an exploded baobab, from a strike.

- An astronomical conjunction or event.

- Folklore tales, such as the Goat and Her Many Young

- a sacred hill, where dying sheep are left

Nightbreed24

Only the first and the fourth, the Wild West one, but ages ago. The walking and flying graboids were not my cup of tea.

Nightbreed24

[crickets]

Perhaps this is too controversial. But GBSteve had nice ideas.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this