MOB

Secrets of Berlin - Unveiling the Mythos in Weimar Berlin

MOB

Just entering layout: PDF release Q2 this year!

Secrets_of_Berlin_Smaller.thumb.jpg.0d6aec6be4d8be4bbd325123ae04806b.jpg

UrsusMaior

Uh, shiny! I was not aware, Chaosium would produce material about non-Anglosphere countries. It keeps getting better and better.

Will there be material on Germany in the volume as well or is it a strict "Berlin" sourcebook?

MikeM

The focus is on Berlin, we've crammed in as much detail and information we can - elements on the wider country are there, but it's not a whole country sourcebook. Apart from the source material, there are three large scenarios covering different aspects of the city and its people.

RogerBW

Ooh. Very nifty.

(And I'm guessing that's David Larkins of the Esoteric Order of Roleplayers?)

PoC

At last, something in the English language that's easier than my poor German skills!

Berlin_(front).jpg

Berlin (Quellenbuch)

– and probably a little more up to date than:

Tony Williams

As the kids say:

"Shut up and take my money!"

sasori

Book version available in time for Necronomicon/Gencon?

willmize
4 hours ago, Tony Williams said:

As the kids say:

"Shut up and take my money!"

Yep. I'm with you.

- Bill

DadsAngry
7 hours ago, RogerBW said:

(And I'm guessing that's David Larkins of the Esoteric Order of Roleplayers?)

Yep. He's been working on this for years. 

MOB

The full wrap-around of Loïc Muzy's wonderful cover:

DxDdFDAXgAAsc1D.thumb.jpg.2a37e1d7a23bbcbd8d6d359bdddab287.jpg

GBSteve

That cover is magnificent. Kudos to Loïc, and the art director.

Tony Williams

Atmospheric cover. Can we have it as a hi-def wallpaper download please ?

On the BRP forums a poster recommends the TV series Babylon Berlin ( Sky in the UK ) as something to watch to get the feeling of the era and I second that ( although it's not Mythos-related at all ). It got me doing a bit of research about the politics swirling in the city and sorting out my Stalinists from my Trotskyites.

🎵 "Willkommen...Bienvenue...Welcome..." 🎵

carpocratian

Will there be a print version available (POD or not)?

MOB
37 minutes ago, carpocratian said:

Will there be a print version available (POD or not)?

Yes, this will be a standard release - PDF first, followed by the full colour hardback print version a few months later. Buy the PDF from Chaosium, and you get the full price of the PDF off the physical book when it is out (plus get to use the digital version straightaway).

CanterburyTail

Oh very nice. Exciting.

TheHistorian
On 17/01/2019 at 07:05, Tony Williams said:

On the BRP forums a poster recommends the TV series Babylon Berlin ( Sky in the UK ) as something to watch to get the feeling of the era and I second that ( although it's not Mythos-related at all ). It got me doing a bit of research about the politics swirling in the city and sorting out my Stalinists from my Trotskyites.

I liked that show too; it's based on a book series if that's more your style. Some other good fiction to get a feel for the era is Berlin by Jason Lutes (comics) and the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr (novels). These are all fairly recent. Why there is a revival of interest in Weimar Germany, I don't know, but it's all helpful for an interested Keeper!

CanterburyTail

So Babylon Berlin is on Netflix here in Canada. I think perhaps in the US as well. 

omnimpotent

That book looks brilliant!  Sold!

I would also recommend Babylon Berlin, and the Bernie Gunther series TheHistorian scooped me on.  (now to check out this Berlin comic he mentioned...)

GrafSaintGermain

I am really looking forward to this book. I was assured on facebook that a native speaker will make sure that the German will be correct. A thing that has bugged me in numerous publications. So thank you for that! :) 

On 25/01/2019 at 19:30, Black-Seal-Editor said:

Taschen are having a sale at the moment and I picked up a copy of "Night Falls on the Berlin of the Roaring Twenties" half-price and post free.

Should be good companion material to "Secrets of Berlin".

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/graphic_design/all/04680/facts.night_falls_on_the_berlin_of_the_roaring_twenties.htm

I am reading the German version I borrowed from my local library. Its really good and I can only recommend it to everyone. Very compact information with beautiful artwork. But don't expect to read it on the tube...its very very tall :)

nclarke

I purchased a copy of Night Falls on the Berlin of the Roaring Twenties after seeing the original post by Black-  Seal-Editor. It's a mine of information about places and personalities in Berlin in the 20's and will make a great piece of supplemental background material reading for when I get the Secrets of Berlin book.

joe adams

Also available through Amazon 

MOB

We'll be releasing the PDF next week.

Please note, the new title of this release is

BERLIN: THE WICKED CITY

Unveiling the Mythos in Weimar Berlin

53563408_1165360113644357_7808864209055252480_n.thumb.jpg.6876866fcab1a6e35732acd7a9f06325.jpg

UrsusMaior
12 hours ago, MOB said:

We'll be releasing the PDF next week.

Please note, the new title of this release is

Unveiling the Mythos in Weimar Berlin

Wow, time went by quickly! Looks like my "annual spring order of CoC books" (proudly since 2019) will include quite a number of titles.

On 06/03/2019 at 09:55, GrafSaintGermain said:

I am really looking forward to this book. I was assured on facebook that a native speaker will make sure that the German will be correct. A thing that has bugged me in numerous publications. So thank you for that! :) 

That would really help. Grammatical mistakes completely kill immersion for me, not only concerning German, but especially.

MOB

Here is the blurb:

Unveiling The Mythos in Weimar Berlin

CHA23161-H
MSRP $44.99
ISBN-13: 9781568824178
Hardcover
272 pages
By David Larkins with Mike Mason & Lynne Hardy

The Wickedest City on Earth

In the aftermath of the Great War, Berlin maintains a reputation for licentiousness. A place where anything can be had for the right price. It is a city of both hedonism and business; its streets overflow with disabled veterans, prostitutes, destitute immigrants, and political agitators—all rubbing shoulders with buttoned-down businessmen, scholars, and artists. The gutters run with the blood of political assassinations, where Communists and völkisch Nationalists clash with each other and the police. Long into the evenings, Berlin’s world-famous cabarets offer music, dance, and titillating entertainment in stark contrast to the gray buildings that run on for endless miles along the sprawling city’s byways.

Into this bubbling stew, Berlin The Wicked City introduces the weird elements of the Cthulhu Mythos—a hotbed of secret organizations, sinister cults, and half-whispered lore. Amid the wicked air of the world’s capital of sin, the very nature of what it means to be human is questioned. And as the city hurtles toward its inevitable dark destiny, the oppressive atmosphere pushes the sanity of investigators to its breaking point.

This book presents an overview of 1920s Berlin as it would be experienced by visitors and residents of the time. Guidelines are presented for creating investigators for Berlin-centric campaigns, as well as investigator organizations to help bind groups together. Find notable personalities, key locations, and a system for generating details of the urban landscape on the fly. With the city’s crime and punishment, underworld, and high culture detailed, the tools provided help the Keeper gain an understanding of what makes Berlin unique—and dangerous.

Three scenarios, spanning the history of Berlin between the end of the Great War and the rise of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party, contain colorful details of Berlin and its inhabitants, and may be run as stand-alone adventures or linked together to form a mini-campaign.

In The Devil Eats Flies, Germany teeters on the brink of economic ruin and political chaos. The ghost of a madman stalks the city, turning its own citizenry against itself. To stop a demonic spirit and save a Russian princess in exile, the investigators must strike a bargain with other sinister forces and ask themselves: who else are we prepared to see die in order to save the city?

Dances of Vice, Horror, and Ecstasy takes place in the city’s golden years, when Berlin becomes superficially stable and prosperous again. A bungling sorcerer, a debauched dancer, and a strange cult of gnostic Saturn-worshippers threaten to put all of that to an end and turn Berlin into a pit of madness and depravity.

Schreckfilm sees Berlin racing toward its grim future. The investigators come face to face with a shadowy cabal of the city’s movers and shakers, determined to turn the city’s world-famous film industry toward ill ends. Trapped in a labyrinth of their own making and hounded relentlessly by dark forces beyond their ken, the investigators must confront the fundamental question of what is real and what is illusion.

For Mature Readers: This book deals with mature themes, including drugs and sex, and is intended for mature players.

This supplement is best used with the CALL OF CTHULHU (7th Edition) roleplaying game and optionally PULP CTHULHU, both available separately.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now