Rayven

Nyarlathotep 4th Edition Versus 7th?

Rayven

So, Christmas gift from my girlfriend is Masks of Nyrlathotep! I've wanted this forever and am so excited I can't even say. My only hang up is she bought 4th edition because she doesn't really know the difference between rule sets. I'm running a 6th edition core book at the moment. I can get conversions up to seventh from sixth easy enough. Moving backwards less elegantly.  So can anyone tell me what the major differences are from 4th up to 7th? What do I need to make this work in 6th or 7th edition rules? Are their any new developments I should know about to the way the whole scenario plays out?

nclarke

Get hold of  the Masks Companion from Chaosium as that updates the 4e version to 6e (and has a 7e conversion as well IIRC). The MC provides loads of help for GM's running Masks and includes a new precursor to the NY chapter different from the newly released 7e version.

PoC

The following thread may also be of interest:

Rayven

@nclarke I appreciate the direction but at $ 47.50 for a pdf file, its outside my budget at the moment.

@PoC Thank you for the direction, this will illuminate some of the bigger changes at least. Though it doesn't look like it is going to help me supplement those differences without purchase of the newer book at this time.

TheHistorian
3 hours ago, Rayven said:

I appreciate the direction but at $ 47.50 for a pdf file, its outside my budget at the moment.

When budget allows, go for it. Did you check the page count of that pdf...

Rayven

@TheHistorian I can see its worth the investment but that is a lot of money for an item I would in turn have to pay to print out. I don't own anything like a lap top, cell phone or notebook portable to keep my books like that accessible. So physical copies are a must, I can't be at my computer all the time trying to read books and run a campaign.

While these are great recommendations and solid for people with a flexible income. I'm in a tight spot after a job injury and I was really hoping for some recommendations to supplement the areas where I know this older edition to be lacking. So much has been added to MON in the latest edition that smooths out the campaign, the prologue intro of Jackson Elias just off the top of my head. I have a lot to smooth out and I guess I just have to finish reading the campaign first. Can any Yoggies please point me to relevant discussions of past MON runs? How have other keepers handled it?

PoC

The site search function should bring up quite a few threads dealing with other members’ experiences of running Masks of Nyarlathotep.

There’s also a recorded play-through of the original campaign on this site.

MrHandy

There are several play-by-post partial runs of Masks of Nyarlathotep on Play@Yog-Sothoth.

This one is currently underway and uses the new 7th edition version. We're most of the way through Peru.

This one ran for a long time before it fell apart, making it through New York and most of London.

This one barely got anywhere.

This is a short-lived prequel that was set in 1913.

This one got partway through New York.

This one also got partway through New York.

This one is an adaptation of Masks to Dark Heresy and ran for a long time. It made it through "New York" and part of "London."

Rayven

@MrHandy Those look like some intense reads. I will have to make some time to skim through. The short lived Prequel seems to have a broken photo issue. and the Masks to Dark Heresy seems to require registry to view. :S I have to admit I have not fallowed much of the play@YSDC before.

@PoC I am in the middle of skimming through the available results of that search still. It seems their will be a LOT of reading before I can narrow down to more specific questions. The scope of this particular campaign seems to have a lot of ground to cover, the more I try to find specifics to talk about the more out of my depth I get. I could be researching this campaign a while before I ever make real ground....I might just fall back on my mountains of madness and Ripples from Carcosa sets for a while. I already have most of those props and write ups finished on those, and back up scenarios written to deal with player changes to the story. I was looking forward to running something new...but their is a LOT of reading to do still.

SunlessNick
On 05/01/2019 at 16:14, Rayven said:

My only hang up is she bought 4th edition because she doesn't really know the difference between rule sets. I'm running a 6th edition core book at the moment.

While the differences between 4 and 7 have been covered, the differences between 4 and 6 are essentially none at all.  So if you're running off a sixth edition core book, there's nothing you need to do to make 4th ed Masks usable.

Rayven

@SunlessNick Really?....I didn't realize their were no major changes made in that time between 4th and 6th. This should make this easier in the long run though I will still have to figure out how exactly I want to introduce Jackson Elias to the team and make his death more meaningful to the players then hay you should already know and love this guy. I know 7th edition kind of gave a new intro for this and I wish I had a little more information regarding this 7th edition addition. Thank you for your help!

MrHandy

There's actually more difference between 6th and 7th edition rules than there is between 1st and 6th edition. Before 7th, the rules didn't change much between editions, though some skills were consolidated, renamed, or separated. Also, the 4th edition of Masks is, I believe the 4th edition of the campaign rather than one designed to use the 4th edition of the rules. I own that edition of Masks, and I think it came out in 2004, when the 5th or 6th  edition of the rules was current. The new version of Masks is technically the 5th edition of the campaign, which is designed to be used with the 7th edition of the rules.

The new version of masks adds the Peru prologue chapter, set in 1921 (the first link I provided has a play-by-post of that chapter, which is currently underway), where the investigators meet Jackson Elias. There's also the Masks of Nyarlathotep companion, which contains a prologue scenario that introduces Jackson Elias called The God of Mitnal. The companion was designed for the version of Masks you have. If you want a physical copy, you'll have to pay an arm, a leg, and possibly a kidney on the secondary market. Chaosium also sells a PDF version on their website.

PaulStJohnMackintosh

There's a big discussion on the whole CoC 7th edition ruleset changes here:

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/coc-differences-between-editions-of-call-of-cthulhu.840234/

And here's my review of Masks for 7th edn:

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/17/17775.phtml

If you're running 6th edn already, I don't see any mechanical reason to worry about running 4th edn Masks. My own view of Masks is very different, but I can say that the main upgrade in the latest edition is quality and variety of content. There's a lot more in this edition. But you can get even more, and IMHO better, added content from the Masks Companion - a.k.a. if you're going to spend on anything after this, spend on the Companion, and not on upgrading to Masks for CoC 7th edn.

Rayven

@MrHandy....I realized their were some changes but not many. I will have to look into getting the companion when I can afford it as it does seem like a great investment. The provided play through has been interesting so far though I am very slow at getting caught up with the amount of reading I have yet to do. I have a truck payment and rent currently requiring the sale of a Kidney so I may need the remaining one a while.

@PaulStJohnMackintosh Thank you! I'll have to look when I have more time. And it does seem the Companion is a better investment but its also a bigger price tag. :S I'm going to have to balance the difference and see what I need and when after talking to my players.

Black-Seal-Editor
5 hours ago, Rayven said:

And it does seem the Companion is a better investment but its also a bigger price tag.

Remember 90% of the price goes to yog-sothoth.com and helps run this place.

Rayven

@Black-Seal-Editor I do understand that, and its certainly something I want. I love Yog-sothoth and want it to keep running....I also don't make that kind of money right now. -_- Its like being trapped between a rock and a hard place for something that is really only a want when I have what I need.

TheHistorian
On 15/01/2019 at 19:05, MrHandy said:

If you want a physical copy, you'll have to pay an arm, a leg, and possibly a kidney on the secondary market. Chaosium also sells a PDF version on their website.

Print copies are in the $200-300 range.

CTPhipps

I own both and honestly you don't need to buy the other if you get the first.

The 7th Edition comes with a new "Peru" section, updates the characters to be more 3-dimensional, offers Pulp Cthulhu suggestions, changes around some characters race and sex, while also making it less automatically lethal.

But it's nothing you can't do yourself.

If you can afford the 7th, I would get it but it's a shiny new version versus a different kind.

Rayven

@CTPhipps Like I said, My girlfriend already purchased the 4th edition for me. I knew 7th had some changes made and was just trying to compare those differences while not actually owning a physical copy of 7th edition, so I could update my campaign a bit. It seems like people share a lot of details in other areas of this forum though, mostly through game play. Their was a Masks Companion offered however by the makers of this site that will allow me to update my campaign as well, and I am now comparing my options in this regard.

CTPhipps
4 hours ago, Rayven said:

@CTPhipps Like I said, My girlfriend already purchased the 4th edition for me. I knew 7th had some changes made and was just trying to compare those differences while not actually owning a physical copy of 7th edition, so I could update my campaign a bit. It seems like people share a lot of details in other areas of this forum though, mostly through game play. Their was a Masks Companion offered however by the makers of this site that will allow me to update my campaign as well, and I am now comparing my options in this regard.

I think the Companion is an amazing achievement by the site personally but I also note that getting everything is a substantial financial investment.  I intend to get everything eventually but more from a collector's perspective (as much as you can collect bytes of data).

Rayven

@CTPhipps It is indeed an investment for the companion but I think the better of the methods of spending my money at the moment. I like the depth it offers better then adding 7th addition to my collection at this time. Especially since I just got the 4th for Christmas. Everything I have so far is hands on copy not data only...I kind of need to buy a notebook or something so I can make use of PDF and the like without my PC.

CTPhipps
Just now, Rayven said:

@CTPhipps It is indeed an investment for the companion but I think the better of the methods of spending my money at the moment. I like the depth it offers better then adding 7th addition to my collection at this time. Especially since I just got the 4th for Christmas. Everything I have so far is hands on copy not data only...I kind of need to buy a notebook or something so I can make use of PDF and the like without my PC.

Do what you think is good for you.

Companions is said by everyone I've talked to, to be an enormously awesome supplement.

Rayven

@CTPhipps I've been saved by an Angel! Though I will feel forever indebted I am reading the companion now and think I have my hands full for days and maybe months to come getting this prepared.

CTPhipps

I'm currently into the London chapter of the game with my players.

My playthrough is going well!

Taavi
10 hours ago, Rayven said:

I've been saved by an Angel! Though I will feel forever indebted I am reading the companion now and think I have my hands full for days and maybe months to come getting this prepared.

Sounds like you'd better hang on to her :-)

Hope you enjoy the Companion!

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now