DeadCat

Is it possible to persuade a cultist?

Gaffer

Dr M, I like it!

cloud64

Episode 7 of the BBC production of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is a good treatise on the mentality and behaviour of cultists, and it made me think of this thread. Links to it can be found on this thread

I won’t go into detail because spoilers, but in short, threats to something believed in, or to the belief itself, provoke extreme responses. 

PaulStJohnMackintosh

Damn, every time Call of Cthulhu tries to get around its over-dependency on dice rolls and the whole dice-heavy/power gaming mentality, it manages to shoot itself in the foot. 

Oh well, back to Trail of Cthulhu, Delta Green, and other games that don't play to our inner 11-year-old. And sorry, I know that's gratuitous snark, but it's really born out of deep exasperation. 

PoC
29 minutes ago, PaulStJohnMackintosh said:

Oh well, back to Trail of Cthulhu, Delta Green, and other games that don't play to our inner 11-year-old. And sorry, I know that's gratuitous snark, but it's really born out of deep exasperation.

That's the wonderful thing these days. So much choice for your own preferred style of play (which may not be the same as other's).

Oladahn
On 30/11/2018 at 05:39, DeadCat said:

I myself find persuading some cultist during battle or confrontation really, really ridiculous.

Yes, agree.

As he/she is the head cultist they are very probably quite, quite mad or well on their way to utter madness. As mentioned by others if you could persuade them they might very well see your status as their brother as an extra special sacrifice.

I think part of the problem is seeing Persuade or similar as just a roll instead of a skill which must be used. As a Keeper I always assumed that persuading, fast talking or any similar skill used on anyone took time and I insisted that the players explained what their investigators do properly before any dice rolls are made.

Bang! Bang! Bang!, Punch! Kick! Punch!, "I'm your long lost brother", Hack! Hack! Hack!, Bang! Bang! Bang! just isn't going to work and the very best any investigator could hope for is a roll with several penalty dice.

So in my world, although given time they could persuade the head cultist, the consequences of that persuasion are down to the Keeper.

And if they insist on using skills like persuade, fast talk etc. in the middle of a frenetic gun fight/punch up not only do they suffer penalty dice on their eventual roll but they also suffer penalty rolls on their attacks or other manoeuvres that round or even forfeit them altogether.

Gaffer

Just had a thought.

Investigator mortally wounds the head cultist. As the villain gasps for breath, she beckons him to come closer, saying in a choking voice, "I am your mother."

Complication: She is younger than he is.

Is she lying or a time traveler? Or is the investigator somehow temporally dislocated?

misterPockets
43 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Investigator mortally wounds the head cultist. As the villain gasps for breath, she beckons him to come closer, saying in a choking voice, "I am your mother."

Complication: She is younger than he is.

Is she lying or a time traveler? Or is the investigator somehow temporally dislocated?

Why would the head cultist be telling the investigator that he is her mother?

Malkavellian

In the ToTK campaign there is an incident in Mercy Hill where the investigators may try to persuade a certain woman to let them have their "cult bible" (among her personal letters). I guess this maybe is an example of what the original topic poster meant. When I ran this campaign with my players I was willing to let them have these highly personal "correspondences" if they provided a good arguement and succeded with their rolls. But then again I enjoy giving some of my "evil" cultists some deapth and personality in my games. I actually have played out scenes where my investigators seek advice or make deals with them (none in their favour anyway) because they viewed these persons as a resource. Yeah, some of these deals have come back to bite them in the ass,  but then and there, it was a short term win for them.

So why not let your investigator "convince" the cultist that he is their long lost brother? Soon he will insist of sleeping over at their place for a few nights..........

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now