Jump to content
Friedland

Stormbringer: Scenarios, Supplements etc

Recommended Posts

Friedland

After listening to the Stormbringer episodes on the Grognard Files podcast I've gradually collected a small library of publications: Stormbringer 4th edition rules, Demon Magic, Stealer of Souls, Sorcerer of Pan Tang, White Wolf, Atlas of the Young Kingdoms Vol 1, and the White Dwarf issue with The Madcap Laughs scenario.

 

Not bad so far, and all with reasonable price tags.

 

Has anyone played the Rogue Mistress and Sea Kings scenarios? or anything else I may not have listed which they can recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eternalchampion

We had not played Rogue Mistress, although it was in my intentions. It is full of interesting ideas but I wanted to modify it since it was a lot like space opera.

I would definitely recommend Sea Kings of the Purple Towns, and also all the books concerning locations. I remember we had played almost all the scenarios in the book.

I especially like all supplements of the "Elric!" edition of the game. They are really dark fantasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Friedland

Thank you for the info! I'm picking up a copy of Sea Kings from a friend in the next few days. I'll keep an eye out for the locations books too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eternalchampion

You are welcome fellow traveler of the Young Kingdoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Graham

If you are looking for obscure,  Theater Of the Mind Enterprises (TOME) published a Stormbringer scenario book called 'The Octagon of Chaos' before they went under. But given their track record with CoC it might not be worth tracking down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Friedland
48 minutes ago, Graham said:

If you are looking for obscure,  Theater Of the Mind Enterprises (TOME) published a Stormbringer scenario book called 'The Octagon of Chaos' before they went under. But given their track record with CoC it might not be worth tracking down.

 

Thanks Graham. I've seen Octagon of Chaos on Ebay a few times (for silly prices), but have been wary for the reasons you mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Graham
6 hours ago, Friedland said:

Thanks Graham. I've seen Octagon of Chaos on Ebay a few times (for silly prices), but have been wary for the reasons you mentioned. 

 

I did stumble across a review by Shannon Appel which suggests it might be worth looking for.

 

http://www.oocities.org/area51/chamber/5004/digest/39.htm

 

I have heard you'd be better to try a specialist retailer like Noble Knight Games for things like this as their costs are much more reasonable than ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheHistorian
On 29/11/2018 at 01:27, Graham said:

I have heard you'd be better to try a specialist retailer like Noble Knight Games for things like this as their costs are much more reasonable than ebay.

 

That depends on how patient you are. If auctions on ebay could be considered a fair guess at the "market value" for an rpg auction, then someone like Noble Knight generally prices older items at 2-4x market. They have overheard, so that makes sense. In return, you buy from a reputable dealer. There's value in that. But if you want to save money, and you aren't after something truly obscure, then keep an eye on ebay auctions; the book you want will show up eventually.

 

Those that use ebay for selling fixed price can often dream of relatively common items being worth a lot more than they are. Those are the inflated prices you see sometimes.

 

(I collect Stormbringer too, so I feel I can assess Octagon as maybe a $15-30 book, depending on condition. It's uncommon, but not a serious rarity.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Friedland
On 03/12/2018 at 00:54, TheHistorian said:

That depends on how patient you are. If auctions on ebay could be considered a fair guess at the "market value" for an rpg auction, then someone like Noble Knight generally prices older items at 2-4x market. They have overheard, so that makes sense. In return, you buy from a reputable dealer. There's value in that. But if you want to save money, and you aren't after something truly obscure, then keep an eye on ebay auctions; the book you want will show up eventually.

 

Those that use ebay for selling fixed price can often dream of relatively common items being worth a lot more than they are. Those are the inflated prices you see sometimes.

 

(I collect Stormbringer too, so I feel I can assess Octagon as maybe a $15-30 book, depending on condition. It's uncommon, but not a serious rarity.)

 

Thank you for the advice. I managed to pick up a copy of Rogue Mistress from the UK based Shop on the Borderlands for a really good price!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×