jdrakeh

What Mythos story is this (or have I gone mad)?

jdrakeh

This has been bugging me for a few days....

I clearly recall reading a Mythos story in the distant past about one or two people working in a large office building at night, after everybody else has gone home, that also involves some kind of giant, eldritch, white worms (chthonians?) and an old vault or shelter in the basement.

Is this a thing? Or did I totally imagine this? If not, in what book can this tale be found?

yronimoswhateley

I don't recognize the exact details, but in essence it sounds like the plot of Stephen King's "Graveyard Shift" (a cleanup crew at a really old textile mill is payed overtime to clean out the basement overnight, and they find trapdoors down into lower and lower sub-basements loaded with albino rat-horrors....)  If the basic story was done once, I'm sure it's been done more than once, so I'd say it might not be your imagination.

SunlessNick

I think Ramsey Campbell has written something of the kind (were the offices above a bookshop, because that comes into my head as I write this?), but I can't remember the exact story (I'm not thinking of Before the Storm, or anything else from Cold Print).

jdrakeh

It's definitely not Graveyard Shift, though I can see some similarities. 

And it may be a Ramsey Campbell story.  I don't recall a bookstore, however. I'm pretty sure it isn't in Cold Print, but was in another anthology book. 

GBSteve

There's a Jack O'Connell story, Word Made Flesh, one of his Quinsigamond series, which although not overtly Lovecraftian has noir and weird languages and worms. Well worth the read, any of them.

jdrakeh

Cool! I'll look into those, GBSteve! 

Also, SunlessNick, I think you may be on to something with books.... although I almost think the offices were those of a book or magazine publisher. I may be mis-remembering, however. 

sicDaniel

A bit late to the party but I'm quite sure it's Ramsey Campbells "Down There", published in "Alone with the Horrors".

jdrakeh

This is 100% the story I was after! Thank you! 

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now