Merudo

"Immune to blows and cuts"?

Merudo

I'm studying a scenario and I notice that one of the monster is "immune to blows and cut; fire, magic, and enchanted weapons harm them normally".

I assume this means all firearms would be ineffective. But what about grenades and explosives though - would they work? They are not technically fire, but an explosion seems close enough.

yronimoswhateley

Up to you, I suppose - roll with what sounds reasonable.  What's the nature of this monster?

If it's immune to those forms of damage because it's incorporeal/ghostly, or made of "Different Atoms", then I could easily imagine that grenades and explosives might not affect it much, or might not affect it in an expected way: just treat it like what you think would happen if someone tried to throw a grenade at a ghost!

If it's immune to those forms of damage simply because it's heavily armored with ordinary matter, that might be a different story altogether:  perhaps it can be damaged if you hit it hard enough, and maybe a grenade or dynamite might just about be able to hit it hat hard.  Do you imagine it's a bit like a knight in steel armor?  What do you imagine might happen if a grenade is tossed at that knight?

When in doubt, roll with either the "Rule of Scary", "Rule of Weird", "Rule of Cool", or "Rule of Fun":  these rules probably won't be written explicitly in the rule book, but they're there in spirit, and they basically mean that, when given a choice between what the rule book says (or fails to say) a monster is like, and whatever your group will think is Scary/Weird/Cool/Fun, you should probably choose what your group will think is Scary, Weird, Cool, or Fun!

Shuikkanen

In movies grenade explosions seem more like fuel canisters going off. But there's no fire -- a shrapnel grenade literally does "blow and cut" damage when you think about it.

yronimoswhateley

I think you've got it right, Shuikkanen - I believe it's the shrapnel projectiles that do the damage on a grenade, and those are, effectively, bullets - I should imagine that technically, immunity from gunfire, cuts, blows, concussion, etc. would extend to grenades.

I'd still say go with what makes sense to you for the sort of creature involved:   For example, a plant that you can shoot, but not really hurt because bullets pass through or embed in redundant systems with no vital organs, might be something you could blow apart with a grenade's concussion and shrapnel - or not, depending on how you envision the monster.  A ghost or shade or vision of a monster that doesn't exist in Time-Space as we know it would probably be immune to almost any ordinary weapon you can throw at it, but be vulnerable to something as simple as as the presence of an Elder Sign, due to [insert hypergeometry technobabble here].

Maccabeus

With explosive, shrapnel-delivering grenades, there's shrapnel damage and then there's barotrauma from the shock wave of displaced atmosphere. While I'd not expect this to affect a non-corporeal creature, or necessarily an extra-dimensional one, it might be enough to do some damage to other opponents; even magical and/or heavily armored ones. Stories from the tunnel rats of VietNam concerning the effects of grenades going off in enclosed spaces are quite enlightening. 

Gaffer

Shock wave/concussion effects might not do any hit point damage to non- or semi-corporeal and transdimensional entities, but maybe it briefly distorts them, causing them to 'lose one turn.'

yronimoswhateley

I like that idea - of course, nothing like that is in the rules, but the cool ideas rarely are, and that has a great, cinematic feel to it.   I could see it pretty easily being something that will barely save the protagonists' lives in a movie, and something that would make for an interesting and tense scene in an RPG.

DrMonster

What if it takes full damage but heals really fast?  So the PCs blow it apart in the supposed climactic battle ... but unbeknownst to them they now have 2-6 hungry little monsters eager to eat and grow.

Gaffer

Dr I used a similar idea years ago with a human-shoggoth hybrid. Explosives could shatter portions of it, but these gobbets would become independent entities, less threatening individually, but more of them.

DeadlyTreadly

I like in 'The Haunting' where . . . . 

Spoiler

Corbitt's body just gets more horrible the more you shoot at it, so the SAN rolls continue

Danial

I’ve asked this exact same question before, but I can’t seem to get the site search to find the post. Though my memory sucks, I believe they pretty much agreed with what’s has been said here—that explosives are primarily physical attacks (despite what Hollywood would have you believe). If there is a flame from the chemicals used, it is a minor component, so probably wouldn’t do much damage anyway.

DeadlyTreadly
1 hour ago, Danial said:

I’ve asked this exact same question before, but I can’t seem to get the site search to find the post. Though my memory sucks, I believe they pretty much agreed with what’s has been said here—that explosives are primarily physical attacks (despite what Hollywood would have you believe). If there is a flame from the chemicals used, it is a minor component, so probably wouldn’t do much damage anyway.

It has to be. It's the massive displacement of gas and some fragmentation.
That asks the question though, what is *not* a physical attack? 
Just magic I assume

Danial
10 hours ago, DeadlyTreadly said:

It has to be. It's the massive displacement of gas and some fragmentation.
That asks the question though, what is *not* a physical attack? 
Just magic I assume

Plain old fire, chemicals (acid), and electricity.