Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Britannica - Oi! Yanks! No!

Mr_Lin

Straw Dogs? That would be the one set in a strange enclave of Cornwall where the locals have every conceivable sort of West Country accent except Cornish?

That's the one :lol: . It's a rubbish film, absolutely vile in fact. I saw it a few years ago at Gloucester Guildhall. Most of the cast seemed to be in the audience, either that or there was some rather peculiar Rocky Horror style dressing up going on.

Have you read the original source novel The Siege of Trencher's Farm by Gordon Williams? It's miles better. Quite a convincing portrait of an insular rural community. If I remember right it's even set in Devon!

Necrothesp

I have to also admit to not being a great fan of Straw Dogs. Not in any way because it doesn't portray the Cornish very well, but just because it's not a very good film. I just couldn't bring myself to have any sympathy for the main characters - they're just too damned irritating. One of these films that's hideously overhyped and then when you finally see it you just think "meh!"

red_bus

It was hyped because of the rape scene and the brutal violence (for 1971). I also think it is a vile film, in terms of much (but not all) of its moral content - but it is undeniably well put together and stunning at building tension. Some of the performances are pretty good too.

Bit off topic - but Sexy Beast was on TV the other day - can't believe how I managed to miss this - it is amazing. Unwatchable in parts, but an amazing film!!

Necrothesp
Bit off topic - but Sexy Beast was on TV the other day - can't believe how I managed to miss this - it is amazing. Unwatchable in parts, but an amazing film!!

Particularly for Ben Kingsley's performance, which has to be one of the most foul-mouthed I've ever seen. If you've only ever seen him in Gandhi this will be a bit of a revelation! He uses the "c-word" the first time he opens his mouth! Great performance though.

ThothAmon

Sexy Beast is a good wee film. It's one of those kovies that requires you to think and it doesn't spoonfeed a predigested plot to the viewer. Revolving doors ;)

Mr_Lin
It was hyped because of the rape scene and the brutal violence (for 1971). I also think it is a vile film, in terms of much (but not all) of its moral content - but it is undeniably well put together and stunning at building tension. Some of the performances are pretty good too.

I think Gordon Williams is on record as saying that Sam Peckinpah took his basic story and filled it with misogynist violence because he was the sort of sicko who liked to slap women around in his films. A great director in his day, but some of his stuff is hard to stomach (see also Kriss Kristofferson in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia and the female Russian soldier scene in Cross of Iron).

Yes, great film. I went to school with a kid just like Don Logan. It was quite unsettling seeing the film and thinking "Bloody hell, he's just like so-and-so." No idea if the kid I knew had those strange sub-Conan the Barbarian style dreams though.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

I agree with Mr_Lin below. Strike this from the record and I'll just search on my own. I do, however, especially in the 1920s insert inappropriate, nasty things into the mouths of some people. It helps remind players they are in the world and besides the Mythos to worry about, people seem to generally mistrust and dislike each other for very little reason.

Mr_Lin
I wondered if someone here can give me the rundown on the regional stereotypes in Britain: the English, Welsh, Cornish, etc.? (Something to put into the mouths of grousing NPCs.)

Hmm...Not sure this is a good idea given the incendiary possibilities.

However, if you take a look at http://www.smbu.co.uk and select Season Preview 2005/6 you'll find a wide range of regional stereotypes described in rather colourful terms. It's an unofficial fan site for Wycombe Wanderers FC but if you filter out the football stuff it's a good a guide as any to the petty rivalries and dislikes existing between different areas of the UK (except Scotland of course which has its own league).

theshoveller

I dunno. Might make a fun game... howabout, you're only allowed to insult your own ethnicity/regional identity?

I can start with Scousers... ;)

Mulciber

"Eh! Youse startin'?"

ninthcouncil
I wondered if someone here can give me the rundown on the regional stereotypes in Britain: the English, Welsh, Cornish, etc.? (Something to put into the mouths of grousing NPCs.)

Hmm...Not sure this is a good idea given the incendiary possibilities.

However, if you take a look at http://www.smbu.co.uk and select Season Preview 2005/6 you'll find a wide range of regional stereotypes described in rather colourful terms. It's an unofficial fan site for Wycombe Wanderers FC but if you filter out the football stuff it's a good a guide as any to the petty rivalries and dislikes existing between different areas of the UK (except Scotland of course which has its own league).

:lol: I suspect that site, though it's a hoot, will cause more confusion than illumination amongst the non-Brits. 8)

FunGuyfromYuggoth
:lol: I suspect that site, though it's a hoot, will cause more confusion than illumination amongst the non-Brits. 8)

Is there an English language version of the site? :lol:

Mr_Lin

Fair point, and I suspect it might well apply to most people outside the immediate environs of High Wycombe.

theshoveller

"Eh! Youse startin'?"

"Am gonna spark youse out kidder!"

Mulciber

"Eh! Youse startin'?"

"Am gonna spark youse out kidder!"

"Alright! Alright! Calm down! Calm down!" (Adjusts shell-suit and reaches for his stanley)

theshoveller

Alright, at that point you've got to give me an appropriate postcode...

Mr_Lin

"Alright! Alright! Calm down! Calm down!" (Adjusts shell-suit and reaches for his stanley)

You are Ramsey Campbell and I claim my free five pounds. :wink:

Mulciber

Sorry, I can't, just trying to role-play a stereotype for our American cousins.

Mr_Lin
Just found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brummie

useful links at the bottom.

Interesting article although I notice it uses the disparaging term "yam yam" for the Black Country dialect (and Black Country people) without explaining why. The following sample dialogue should make things clear:

"C'mon Florence, let's go catch yam bus."

I've lived in the W.Midlands most of my life, so it's ok for me to take the p***. In truth, most Black Country people I've met have been all right. They always seem up for a drink and a laugh.

Mulciber

Interesting article although I notice it uses the disparaging term "yam yam" for the Black Country dialect (and Black Country people) without explaining why. The following sample dialogue should make things clear:

"C'mon Florence, let's go catch yam bus."

I've lived in the W.Midlands most of my life, so it's ok for me to take the Pi**. In truth, most Black Country people I've met have been all right. They always seem up for a drink and a laugh.

Lived in Brum 13 years, Brummies and Yam-Yams are great folk, great sense of humour, generous, friendly and like you say always up for a laugh.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Sorry, I can't, just trying to role-play a stereotype for our American cousins.

Much appreciated. I still remember an old "Hellblazer" comic with various, not particularly nice, louts combined into one ogre-sized demon and tearing each other (and itself) apart upon a disagreement over which area fielded a better football club. For a teenager at the time, it was rather interesting, shocking, and strangely eye opening.

theshoveller

Constantine is an interesting one... half Scouse, half Cockney I think.

So Keanu Reeves was a natural choice.

ThothAmon
Constantine is an interesting one... half Scouse, half Cockney I think.

So Keanu Reeves was a natural choice.

Of all the big budget comic adaptations to the screen 'Constantine' is probably one of the best IMO. Although I'm sure many people disagree.

Maedlyn

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

--James D Nicoll]

Thankyou DnP that is my new favourite quote and is going in my signature block forthwith

Al