Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Britannica - Oi! Yanks! No!

Quiller

I imagine that any of our colonial cousins over the pond must now think we're all off our trollies - if they didn't already!

We seem to have killed the 'Monkey Hanger' issue stone dead.

Moonrakers though...I'd heard that one stemmed from one Wiltshire genius seeing the moon's reflection in the village pond, believing it to be a giant cheese and trying to rake it in.

Once again, unless you guys know different. :roll:

cynick
Moonrakers though...I'd heard that one stemmed from one Wiltshire genius seeing the moon's reflection in the village pond, believing it to be a giant cheese and trying to rake it in.

Once again, unless you guys know different. :roll:

It's often attached to a story about quick-witted smugglers.

Mr_Lin

When I lived in Folkestone I had a friend who regarded anyone from north of Ashford as a "bloody northerner". And that's Ashford, Kent, not Ashford, Middlesex... :roll:

The living definition of parochial. Even worse than me saying everyone from Kent is a pikey. Not that I'd ever do such a thing :wink:

Simstim

Growing up in South Devon, I considered those inhabitants of North Devon (Bideford, Barnstaple, etc.) as living in, if not quite a different country, then certainly a different county...

Mr_Lin
Growing up in South Devon, I considered those inhabitants of North Devon (Bideford, Barnstaple, etc.) as living in, if not quite a different country, then certainly a different county...

I worked in Exeter for a bit many years ago. I remember my native Devonian colleagues really hated the Cornish.

Simstim

Well, I happen to be sharing a flat with a Cornishman now... The only sign of that ancient rivalry is that when one of us mentions something about our home county, the other will immediately mention in passing something that's just as good or better in theirs! This situation will change in the near future, however, as I'm planning on moving to London before the year is out, to lodge with... a Cornishman (and his Welsh wife).

Mr_Lin
Well, I happen to be sharing a flat with a Cornishman now... The only sign of that ancient rivalry is that when one of us mentions something about our home county, the other will immediately mention in passing something that's just as good or better in theirs!

Sounds a bit like the Essex vs London sketches in Monkey Dust:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Dust#Essex_man_and_London_man

This situation will change in the near future, however, as I'm planning on moving to London before the year is out, to lodge with... a Cornishman (and his Welsh wife).

Of course some English like to bash the Welsh (e.g. Ann Robinson) but in my experience they're jolly, fun loving people who I rather like. I remember my first visit to Newport, watching a couple of fat birds being so p1ssed they fell over in the pub at two in the morning, and I thought to myself, "By God, these people know how to have a good time." I always enjoy my visits to Wales.

SquibblyDibbly
Captain Blackadder : There's something wrong with your fiance, gorgeous Georgina

General Melchett : Oh my god, she's not Welsh is she ?

I remember one holiday to Wales we passed a place where the Welsh Independence Party had written "Go home English" on a wall by the side of the motorway. Only they'd written it in Welsh, so we had to ask somebody what it meant. I think that says a lot.

Mr_Lin

I remember one holiday to Wales we passed a place where the Welsh Independence Party had written "Go home English" on a wall by the side of the motorway. Only they'd written it in Welsh, so we had to ask somebody what it meant. I think that says a lot.

In my experience there's two main strands of Welshness, possibly exemplified by the country's two most prominent poets: The Dylan Thomas faction of fun loving hellraisers, and the RS Thomas faction of insular miserablists. Needless to say I greatly prefer the former.

ThothAmon
In my experience there's two main strands of Welshness, possibly exemplified by the country's two most prominent poets: The Dylan Thomas faction of fun loving hellraisers, and the RS Thomas faction of insular miserablists. Needless to say I greatly prefer the former.

Visiting Mrs Amon's granny in mid-Wales I was astounded to learn that the N and the S of the principality have different variants of the Welsh tongue. And I thought they were all inbred manic-depressive dwarves from the same die-stamp! Seems that you have to distinguish them geographically too :D

Similarly, in regard to these weird English cross-county prejudices, to us Scots you are all just a homogenous bunch of moaning gits with an over-rated footie team and a German monarch :P

Mr_Lin

Similarly, in regard to these weird English cross-county prejudices, to us Scots you are all just a homogenous bunch of moaning gits with an over-rated footie team and a German monarch :P

Ah, that famously sardonic Scottish sense of humour. Not bad, but you're not as funny as Rab C Nesbitt, or the old geezers from Still Game. :wink:

ThothAmon
Ah, that famously sardonic Scottish sense of humour. Not bad, but you're not as funny as Rab C Nesbitt, or the old geezers from Still Game. :wink:

How true :roll:

I also missed out on insulting the Irish. That shows I'm getting old(er) and soft(er).

ninthcouncil

My, you're going to be insufferable after this weekend's football results, aren't you? :wink:

ThothAmon

My, you're going to be insufferable after this weekend's football results, aren't you? :wink:

Nah. The Scots team have been at their nadir for so bloody long now, mainly because of the 'usual suspects' who get picked but don't actually bother playing for their country. It stands to reason that the fresh blood in the team would eventually result in somebody getting a shock when visiting Hampden.

I feel rather sorry for the French manager as he's going to get savaged by the French media and supporters. I also felt sorry for the Welsh. They seem to have been given a right kicking by the Slovaks.

I'll stand by my comment regards the English national team being overrated. On paper Macedonia should have lost by a significant margin. And Croatia are due up next? The English team really do need to get their finger out and start living up to their potential and their monstrous salaries.

Mr_Lin

I'll stand by my comment regards the English national team being overrated...The English team really do need to get their finger out and start living up to their potential and their monstrous salaries.

No argument there. Been the case for quite a while I'd say.

theshoveller

I feel rather sorry for the French manager as he's going to get savaged by the French media and supporters. I also felt sorry for the Welsh. They seem to have been given a right kicking by the Slovaks.

Being of Welsh extraction, I feel I can fairly say that they got a kicking because they were drawn against a world-class team. Wales are not a world-class team. England are the only one of the home nations that are, and that's tenuous.

ninthcouncil

Being of Welsh extraction, I feel I can fairly say that they got a kicking because they were drawn against a world-class team. Wales are not a world-class team. England are the only one of the home nations that are, and that's tenuous.

Even more tenuous, after the fiasco in Zagreb. :oops:

AcesandEights

Anyone know if the link the OP shared can be updated? I'll do a search and see if I can come up with anything, but it's been so long since i looked at this thread and I can't quite remember the look of the original site...

Necrothesp

Would that be the monarch who's yours too and actually has considerably more Scottish blood in her than English? Considering her mother was Scottish? :wink:

Necrothesp
Visiting Mrs Amon's granny in mid-Wales I was astounded to learn that the N and the S of the principality have different variants of the Welsh tongue. And I thought they were all inbred manic-depressive dwarves from the same die-stamp! Seems that you have to distinguish them geographically too :D

Isn't the Southern Welsh dialect commonly called "English"?

Necrothesp
I worked in Exeter for a bit many years ago. I remember my native Devonian colleagues really hated the Cornish.

That's nothing to how much we hate the Devonians! They can't even invent their own flag - have to nick ours and dye it some lurid shade of green!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Devon

It really annoys people from East Cornwall that their main hospital is in Plymouth. That means children born there are Devonian (i.e. English) and not Cornish. :wink:

Necrothesp
As Malcojones pointed out US is pretty large. I have been to Canada and Mexico though. It is a 16 hour drive from my house in Akron to Orlando, FL (Disney World) . According to MapQuest it is only a 11 hour drive from London to Berlin. It took me that long to drive across Texas.

Although in all fairness you'd probably see a lot more between London and Berlin! And you'd have to negotiate the English Channel.

ninthcouncil
That's nothing to how much we hate the Devonians! They can't even invent their own flag - have to nick ours and dye it some lurid shade of green!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Devon

As the Wikipedia entry correctly points out, they can't even design a heraldically valid flag for themselves, either. I suspect the fact that I immediately noticed this makes me a bit sad. :roll:

Mr_Lin

Look out, someone's angry down in Straw Dogs land. I can already hear the sound of man traps being set.

Only joking. :wink:

Necrothesp

Look out, someone's angry down in Straw Dogs land. I can already hear the sound of man traps being set.

Only joking. :wink:

Straw Dogs? That would be the one set in a strange enclave of Cornwall where the locals have every conceivable sort of West Country accent except Cornish?

No, we'll just set the piskies and the things that go bump in the night on them!