Helen

Secret Shoggoth XIII

Helen

Secret Shoggoth XIII. YSDC Festive Mystery Gift Exchange.

It’s time for Secret Shoggoth XIII – unlucky for some… (we hope not)!

If you want to be involved, please send me a Private Message with the following info (don't just message me saying "I'm in" - I need the details!)...

What is needed from you:

• Your name (real and user name).
  • Your address.
  • Where you would be willing to send a gift to – just your own country, own continent or anywhere. There are enough people involved that if you don't want to send something abroad, or can't afford it, that's fine.
  • Whether you're happy to receive a hand-made gift or if it would make you summon a Byakhee in rage.
  • Whether you might make something hand crafted (this isn't a commitment it's just that if it's a possibility I need to know so I don't match you with someone who doesn't want that).
  • The address of any wish lists that you have.

I'll post in the next message a list of people taking part. Please give me three days to get the info up before messaging me again to say you're not there. I'll aim to respond to your original PM so you know I've got you on my list.

Please sign up by midnight GMT on Friday, 16th November, 2018.

I will get details to you about your Secret Shoggoth by end of Sunday 25th November – though I'll aim for sooner. Gifts should be sent by end of Friday, 7th December so shop early if you're sending far away! If there are any problems please message me so I know you haven't lost your sanity by accidentally reading a dusty tome in the second-hand book shop.

Rules for Secret Shoggoth XIII:

• Gifts must be in the range of $20-25 or £12-15 or so.
  • Costs of the gift are before shipping.
  • DO NOT JOIN IF YOU WANT A SPECIFIC GIFT. You might not get it.
  • You must message me when you have sent your gift.
  • You must message me when you have received your gift.
  • Post a thank you in the forthcoming "Thank you Secret Shoggoth thread" - even if you don't love it. Let's be polite.
  • You must have been a registered user of YSDC on or before the 1st June 2018.

Please note that if I don't hear from you when you have sent and received then I’m afraid that you won’t be able to take part in next year’s Secret Shoggoth event. One or two are already on the naughty list... You might be thinking it’s OK as you have sent in previous years but it causes me a LOT more admin and stress if you don’t communicate

Please note the following advice:

• Please keep it clean and legal - let's say a PG or 15 rating.
  • Contact me if something goes wrong. Again, the sooner I hear from someone the sooner I can fix things.
  • There's little anyone can do to you if you don't send a gift. But we're Yoggies and above that kind of thing.
  • The gifts don't have to have anything to do with Cthulhu.
  • Those who live in far flung and fantastic locations may find it extra good to post a short list of electronic things they lust after. Sites like DriveThruRPG will be happy to send an e-copy of a book to Antarctica much faster than the standard albino penguin.
  • Please mark your gift "Secret Shoggoth YSDC" - so your recipient knows where it's from!

Finally, it's worth a post here telling your Secret Shoggoth what you'd like and what you don't want. No guarantees but it might help!

Cheers,

Helen

Helen

Shoggoths:

PoC

ClarenceColeman

WinstonP

Maccabeus

Rookery

Mysterioso

GBSteve

Lammomedes

Karloff

CharlesWard

Galbraith

joerg73

fluffy

Rayven

gabrielconnor

Nephilim

carpocratian

Chitin

Afraid of the dark

talleryrand

AdamAlexander

Munchezuma

carnage_lee

DeepOne74

Jiminy

SacredSpud

Rayven

I am super excited for this! Thanks for including me Helen.

So it dawns on me I should have included a little more in my post....like things I like for anyone who has to gift me. :S Sorry about that.

Right now I am absolutely nuts for the King in Yellow, but I already have the books for this, so what I'm hoping for is some artistic licenses! I want to see what people make themed after this madness!

Should you not be the artful type however I have a wide range of likes: Naruto, The seven deadly Sins, One piece, Castlvania, legends of dragoon, starfox.....anyway yeah I love manga and video games. :P So hope that helps. I'm also an avid Yu-gi-oh Player! I will like anything I get but if your looking for ideas here are a few places to direct from? Please be creative! Don't feel obligated to stick to the list. Have Fun!

Afraid of the dark

Of note, a returns address on all packages would be wise. I presume that would be yours Helen, else it would not be much of a 'secret' shoggoth. 

Helen

If you want a return address then feel free to add one- but it’s been ok for the last 12 years without them. And if you want to add a return address, you don’t need to add a name. That way secrecy is maintained.

Afraid of the dark

OK. I've sent few packages over the years, and if there is a failure to card the individual when they are not in to answer the door (or the card gets lost amongst  junk mail and bined), without a returns address, that package is lost forever. I just thought it might be wise to advise. 

Karloff

Tell you what might be handy, if you're sending overseas, is an invoice or description + value. I know it kinda spoils the surprise, but I also know our local customs people get very snippy if they don't know whether, or on what terms, to apply duty. I imagine customs in other places feel the same way. A lot of places don't apply duty on books, so if you say 'books' it might be enough to evade the baleful eye of Sauron.

For me: surprise me. I particularly like ghost/horror stories, unusual gaming stuff & so on. Oddly, I could actually use a set of Vampire dice or unusual dice sets ...

Rayven

Karloff - As in White wolf style vampire dice or just vampire themed dice? I've seen some pretty neat sets online.

Karloff

Well ... I recently bought VtM5e, so dice for that game would be good. However cool dice sets of whatever type are always interesting.

PoC

Today (Friday, 16th November) is the deadline to join in this year's Secret Shoggoth😎

[Update, Sat. 17th Nov.]

Deadline for entry for this year has now passed. Thanks to everyone taking part.

Rayven

The anticipation for this is just mind blowing for me. I can't wait!!!!!!!! I wonder where I will be sending to or where I will receive from?...o.O So exciting!

DeepOne74

Very excited for this. Can’t wait to see where I get to send some cultish goodies.

For what it’s worth, I’m interested in Pulp Cthulhu (currently play 7e modern and 1920s), unique dice and weird horror from lesser known writers.

fluffy

I recently discovered Charles Strosses the Laundry but have only read the first one so that could be an option please, or anything craft, please no food as I am on a special diet for a while. (cos I’m “special”) 😸

Helen

Hi,

All details of Secret Shoggoths have been sent. If you haven't had a message please let me know ASAP. After a little cry I will sort it out! ;)

Cheers,

Helen

P.S. You don't need to buy from any wish list you have been given. If you haven't had a link, it's because I haven't been given one. And do post here about the sort of thing you'd like. :)

Lammomedes

First, I'd like to thank Helen for stepping up and overseeing the show for the last few years.

So, I've been part of this wonderful tradition since before it was officially Secret Shoggoth. As far as Cthulhu stuff goes, I'm afraid I'm one of the completists...and pretty much have one of everything that isn't massively super collectible. However, I'm pretty ease to shop for in one sense: history books about your area, or local ghost stories, or similar are great ideas. I've been collecting a small treasure trove of books from past Secret Shoggoths, so I have things on Wisconsin, Providence RI, Massachusetts, Louisiana, for example. I'm also keen on handmade prop related items, or anything you might think cool.

gabrielconnor

To my secret Santa,

I am interested in all things Cthulhu, I have most of Chaosium's products, so anything from any other company would be appreciated!

Also I am a sucker for new RPG game systems, so that is an option as well. Hand crafted stuff are also very welcome!!!

Nephilim

Thanks for organising this again, Helen. 

For my secret shoggoth: 

I still need three DART-shows to complete that collection:  Dagon:War of Worlds, A Solstice Carol and  The White Tree... But I’d love to give the other audiobook versions a try as well. 

As so many here, I’m a CoC-completionist and am only looking for a few more titles:

No Man’s Land

SP’s guide to creatures of the Dreamlands

Tales of the Caribbean

The Bermuda Triangle

The Creature companion

The resurrected III: out of the vault.

I’m a big fan of old horror movies, Discworld, Sherlock Holmes and lots more.

But of course it wouldn’t be much of a surprise if I got what I’m looking for, so let yourself go ;)

GBSteve

Hi Secret Shoggoth, if that is your name, I'm happy to get anything, except for published Lovecraft stories or games. I like local stuff you make, or guide books local to you, the weirder the better. Cheers!

Mysterioso

Dear Secret Shoggoth:

Like a lot of folks here, I very much have accumulated a pretty sizable CoC collection as well as a collection of books by HPL and his circle.

I've been on a Sax Rohmer tear recently going through all of Titan's printing of the Fu Manchu books, the Black Dog books short story collections, and Stark House's collection of Bat Wing and Fire Tongue and Stark House's collection of Brood of the Witch Queen and The Quest of the Secret Slipper. I know that does not leave much Rohmer but there is a study of Rohmer Lord of Strange Deaths by Phil Baker which would be quite interesting. 

I'm also very much a fan of old movies from the Universal era.  The Universal Horror: Classic Movie Archive and the Boris Karloff Collection (with The Black Room, The Man They Could Not Hang, The Man With Nine Lives, Before I Hang, The Devil Commands, and The Boogie Man Will Get You) both look to be great fun.

Lastly Douglas Keister's Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography looks rather amazing.

Wishing you an amazing Solstice.

Mysterioso

joerg73

Dear Secret Shoggoth,

taking part in this Christulhu tradition again this year, I'm really happy for this great idea and I'd like to thank Helen very much for putting her time and effort into it!

I'm a collector of all Cthulhu related role-playing stuff and have a lot of the usual suspects already, so I put together a small list of PDFs I'm still looking for on DriveThruRPG.

If you want to surprise me with a book or PDF I might not even heard about, here's my RPGGeek collection to check if I have gotten it already.

I also like hand-made stuff, so if you have something like that in store - surprise me.

Besides Cthulhu related things, my other hobbies include baking (and eating said baked goods) and photography.

So thank you in advance and I wish a Merry Christmas!

Joerg

WinstonP

Some people go to Kingsport to keep Festival, I come here...

I prefer books to PDFs.  I like local ghost story collections and have built a little collection of them.  I'm also a student of New England history and graveyards/gravestones.  Handmade items are lovely and welcome, as are foodstuffs, knickknacks, and oddities.

Galbraith

Happy Solstice! 

I'm keen on old books and local history - props are also good! Ephemera such as old newspapers, timetables, and the like are also welcome. Very welcome also are crafts, food, or anything handmade. 

Munchezuma

I'm quite excited, as usual, to participate in Secret Shoggoth! I've received wonderful items over the years and had a wonderful time with it. If my shoggoth is out there, I am pretty flexible. I do have a fair collection of Call of Cthulhu, but have definitely developed a growing fondness for game accessories like props and the like. I have also developed an interest in stationary thanks in no small part to the Stationary Isle thread here (curse you all, you know who you are). I do also love bookmarks.

Afraid of the dark

Just in case anyone needs them.

UK to UK, Royal Mail's last Christmas posting dates for 2018 are:

Tuesday December 18 2nd class mail

Thursday December 20 1st class mail

Saturday December 22 Special Delivery

UK to Abroad (International Standard (formerly known as Airmail), Royal Mail's last Christmas posting dates for 2018 are:

Tuesday December 4 for Africa and the Middle East

Friday December 7 for Asia, Cyprus, Far East, Malta and Eastern Europe (ex Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia)

Saturday December 8 for the Caribbean and Central & South America

Monday December 10 for Greece, Turkey, Australia and New Zealand

Friday December 14 for the Czech Republic, Italy, Poland, Canada and USA

Saturday December 15 for Finland and Sweden

Monday December 17 for Austria, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Portugal, Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia, Switzerland and Spain

Tuesday December 18 for Belgium, France, Ireland, Luxembourg

BFPOs differ from the above.

Rayven

o.O Wow....The UK really knows its mail I guess. In the US your lucky if your mail makes it for Christmas if you don't mail it back in November. *L*

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now