PoC

Greg Stafford (1948 – 2018)

PoC

News that Greg Stafford, the Founder of Chaosium has sadly died at the age of 70. I will always remember picking up the first edition of Pendragon, and how different it felt to other roleplaying games (in style, approach and art).

I had the pleasure of meeting Greg at Continuum 2008 where he kindly gave the following interview about the company he started (and Call of Cthulhu, the game he enabled).

[Video retired. See Lovecraftian Tales from the Table DVD-ROM for offline version.]

yronimoswhateley

I regret that I hadn't heard about this sooner.  Over all the decades that I've heard of Glorantha and Pendragon, I've never actually explored either very deeply, but I could always tell that I was missing out on something very creative an highly imaginative, and I could always appreciate that - it'll certainly be something I'll check out one day, and I know it'll be a great adventure when I do.  When I saw a a few minutes ago a reference to the discoverer of Glorantha passing away, it hit me a bit harder than I would have thought. Greg Stafford and his creations live on even among those of us who weren't that familiar with them, and he'll be missed - RIP.

yockenthwaite

My links with Greg are far less than many, but I was very sad to hear the news yesterday.

My main thanks to him are for founding Chaosium, which led to the Call of Cthulhu RPG which has given me enormous pleasure over the last two decades.

However, and quite coincidentally, I'm currently reading through the rulebook for Pendragon, as inspiration for a text adventure game I'm currently developing. So I'm enjoying discovering another aspect of Greg's life, albeit in a bittersweet way now.

I've also been enjoying the memories posted by many on the official Chaosium condolences thread at

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/8417-greg-stafford-condolence-thread/

Travern

a1ec735319537f90370c903c0e5cba49_origina

Sandy Petersen's also written an appreciation of Stafford as publisher of Call of Cthulhu: The Necessary Genius

Beyond18
9 hours ago, PoC said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Greg at Continuum 2008 where he kindly gave the following interview about the company he started (and Call of Cthulhu, the game he enabled).

Paul, that is a great interview, and worth watching (or watching again) to get an excellent recounting by Greg of the founding of Chaosium, and the genesis of its two most important lines: RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu. And Greg's engaging charisma is there to see, something he retained right to the end.

PoC
6 hours ago, MOB said:

...worth watching (or watching again) to get an excellent recounting by Greg of the founding of Chaosium

Greg was very kind in allowing me the time. Guests of Honour at conventions often have their timetables fully booked. For anyone wondering why the interview was done outside under a tree, it was simply because it was the quietest place in the entire venue.

The interview can also be found on our Lovecraftian Tales from the Table DVD for those who have it.

Beyond18

This is the beautiful obituary for Greg Stafford, "game designer, mythologist, shaman, father, grandfather, husband, brother, and friend" from his family.

It concludes on a wonderful note: "To honor Greg’s memory the family requests, in lieu of flowers, that you strike up a conversation with someone you don’t know, go somewhere you haven’t been, face a personal challenge head on, read about something new, and enjoy life. We are all us."

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2018/oct/29/obituary-francis-gregory-stafford-1948-2018

0c86b84e774e76bb628f280cd7286521.jpg.67b136a33ae279674691090599654e9f.jpg

Runeblogger
On 16/10/2018 at 08:30, PoC said:

Greg was very kind in allowing me the time. Guests of Honour at conventions often have their timetables fully booked. For anyone wondering why the interview was done outside under a tree, it was simply because it was the quietest place in the entire venue.

The interview can also be found on our Lovecraftian Tales from the Table DVD for those who have it.

I also enjoyed that interview a lot when I watched it years ago. I tried to find it recently, but then I saw it was no longer available on Youtube. I still remember his final words though, when you asked him if he wanted to leave any message for all the fans. He hesitated, then replied: "Keep playing. Keep playing because it's an art form". 

Perhaps those weren't his exact words, as I watched that video many years ago, but they nevertheless got stuck in my mind.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now