shoggothsean

Masks of Nyarlathotep Gamer Prop Set

jlynn
53 minutes ago, mvincent said:

"Instantly" was to provide a direct response for "wouldn't have left the time necessary to have a record cut". It was based on my prior knowledge of the item (and reading up on it online) - wax cylinders really did record as you spoke, providing an immediate recording.

Yes, thank you, I sort of got that from the Wikipedia link you provided (though they didn't state it explicitly there), though Paul's response has me wondering how that recording would really sound if you had to shout into the funnel to make the necessary grooves!  :-)

PoC

There’s quite a few examples of cylinder recordings online to hear how they sound. Obviously for most of them they’re now a century old.

Anyway, it was a nice touch by the HPLHS to put the USB audio for the Masks props inside a replica cylinder case.

Afraid of the dark

Yes, I think they should have sent out one or two replica cylinders instead though, just to see the response. "and here we are at the unwrapping video of the handouts box, opening this cylinder we have a,.. a,... wh - uh ?" :)

shoggothsean

Nice to hear so many of you are enjoying our prop set. The audio files were provided as an option for Keepers; if they like them, they should use them and if they don't they should ignore them. Because several of the monologues in the Masks books contained very key information, we wanted to try a new way of imparting that information apart from having the Keeper read a long monologue.

Our thought with Elias and the dictaphone was that it might be more interesting let players hear Elias' parting thoughts rather than read them. Ediphones were not at all unusual bits of office equipment, not much more difficult to use than a tape recorder (we have one here at the HPLHS). So we had Jackson record his final thoughts for his friends rather than dictate them to his attorney. Use whatever works for you. Listeners to the Dark Adventure show of Masks of Nyarlathotep will get quite a bit more context on this particular moment of the story.

rmeints

Let me say this about Edison wax cylinders. If you are ever looking for anything to hurtle you back in time to the 1920s you will never find a more immersive way of doing so. As someone who owns an antique 1917 Edison Cylinder player with a few wax cylinders from that era, it cannot be surpassed. Cannot. It is haunting, and atmospheric in every sense of the word. I know that the recordings can be ported to modern technology and played far more simply. That is wonderful, for it greatly expands the reach of the audience. Yet, NOTHING can beat the actual metal needle playing on an actual wax cylinder through that small tinny cone of a "speaker". For lack of a better word, it is haunting. Haunting. Haunting. You hear the static amidst the notes and you are transported to a different place. That's all there is to it. It transports you to another time.

PoC

Marty and Chris have a look at the Gamer Prop Set in the late September edition of News from Pnakotus.

Beagle

Quick question.

I can't find the new Edition of Masks anywhere in the UK, so I'll be using the 2nd release of Masks when I start running it this month. Does the prop set match up with the handouts from the old blue book edition of Masks? I understand there have been changes to Masks and clearly I don't want to be giving my players handouts that don't fit the printed scenario I'm using.

Thanks 

MikeM
22 minutes ago, Beagle said:

I can't find the new Edition of Masks anywhere in the UK, so I'll be using the 2nd release of Masks when I start running it this month. Does the prop set match up with the handouts from the old blue book edition of Masks? I understand there have been changes to Masks and clearly I don't want to be giving my players handouts that don't fit the printed scenario I'm using.

The PDF for the new edition is on sale at chaosium.com  - the print book is due out within a few weeks now (if you purchase the PDF from Chaosium, the full PDF price is discounted from the print price when you come to purchase that).

The new handouts do not entirely match the older editions of Masks (plus a number are new or reworked) - the prop set uses and matches those in the new edition of Masks. You could get by if using an older edition of the campaign, but will need to do some work to allow for all the material in the prop set, if used with an older edition.

Beagle
34 minutes ago, MikeM said:

The PDF for the new edition is on sale at chaosium.com  - the print book is due out within a few weeks now (if you purchase the PDF from Chaosium, the full PDF price is discounted from the print price when you come to purchase that).

The new handouts do not entirely match the older editions of Masks (plus a number are new or reworked) - the prop set uses and matches those in the new edition of Masks. You could get by if using an older edition of the campaign, but will need to do some work to allow for all the material in the prop set, if used with an older edition.

Mike, thanks for that.

Do you know what the price of the slip case edition will be yet? I'm tempted to get the PDF but was hoping to pick up the hardcover from a UK retailer.

PoC

Recommended retail price for Masks 2018 in print is £100. See also:

Beagle

Thanks