klecser

Any advice on Weird Tales?

klecser

I've considered collecting 1920s/1930s issues of Weird Tales, or reproductions.  Part of me would like to possess an actual magazine from the era as a collectible. Part of me just wants to read Lovecraft, Derleth and Howard in situ.

I recognize that I can get a lot of the magazines digitally via PDF, but it is not my preferred format.  So, some questions are below and if this is too far afield of CoC for this forum, just let me know.

What would you consider great 20s/30s issues to physically collect?  The cost can vary dramatically, from hundreds to thousands of dollars.  

What full-color modern exhibition books could you recommend that print full issues?  Do such things even exist?

Are there reproduction copies that you know of?

Thanks in advance!

yockenthwaite

Goodman Games sell a range of reprints.

PoC

Good find @yockenthwaite! There is (was) Girasol Collectables' The Weird Writings of HP Lovecraft (2010) which features HPL's Weird Tales stories collected in facsimile form.

I've also found issues at various science-fiction and fan conventions (worth a scan along the traders' shelves). Prices can vary a lot by trader and condition but if you're not too worried about how they look then they can be found relatively cheaply (or at least that was the case a couple of years back). I think I paid £15 in 2013 for the issue shown below which features the first appearance of HPL's The Call of Cthulhu. (See also: Goodman Games reprint.)

Weird Tales magazines featuring H.P. Lovecraft.

Sometimes you can get really lucky:

And congratulations to the lucky blighter who got into the Dealers' Room soon after it opened on the Thursday and picked up a free copy of the 1939 Arkham House volume The Outsider and Others by H.P. Lovecraft. Apparently the dustjacketless volume had a page missing, and the delighted new owner spent the rest of the convention getting his tome autographed by Lovecraft-related attendees (of which there were many).

http://www.stephenjoneseditor.com/wfc2013/news-pr24.html

So you never know! Always worth a trawl of Dealers' Rooms... [Thank you, Cold Tonnage.]

The Outsider and Others. Arkham House, 1939. Multi-Signed.

cjearkham

Not to stop anyone from buying the reprints, but archive.org has a wide selection of Weird Tales PDFs. Not the full run, and some of questionable legality, but there they are.

klecser

Thanks to everyone for responding!