Pigeon

One shot 1920 scenarios for new Keeper + Party?

Pigeon

Hello,

A little background….  

I am part of an online role-playing community that mainly plays DnD 5e, but our group has been looking for a system focused more on RP and less on a D20 combat system and we landed on CoC 7e.  

I have been nominated as keep as I am the most familiar with H.P. Lovecraft’s work, so I jumped onto Amazon and grabbed a Keepers guide and Investigator Handbook. Now I’m looking for a good first scenario to run, ideally for a one/two 4-hour session length.

As we are spread out geographically ranging from the UK, Europe, Israel and the USA we use roll20, so will need a scenario with digitally supported handouts, or community made handouts so totally open to buying a PDF scenario.

Would ideally like something UK based so I don’t have to jump straight in with my awful American accent, but happy to torture the players with my accent in a New England setting.

Guess the keys requirements are:

• Sub 8 hour runtime 
  • Low planning load on Keeper.
  • New player/keeper friendly, little restriction on occupations (or too much justification on how the players know each other.
  • Good support for online play.    

Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

klecser

I'm gonna lead with....The Haunting. ;)

Lots of fan-made handouts, the Classic first scenario to run the game with since time immemorial.  See the free Quick Start PDF for 7E.  Also lots of commentary online that you could read, if you had the time.  Or just ask us questions here and you'll get a ton of advice.

My tip: Describe the junk present in the basement with great detail to give players ideas of how to creatively deal with the knife.  

Pigeon
34 minutes ago, klecser said:

I'm gonna lead with....The Haunting. ;)

Though I would start with a scenario that they don't all have access to. 😛

klecser

Part of the contract of role-playing is that people aren't going to try to metagame in preparation of the game.  If they are, you have bigger problems right out of the gate than running a scenario that meets your requirements.  Your players can access any published scenario that you might run.  You don't tell them you are "running the Haunting" at the start. And if they read it, the challenge for them is to run a character through it effectively even if they know the basics.  Veteran players play the Haunting over and over again, they know what the basics are, but they still have fun and try to not let their out-of-game knowledge impact the game.

Pigeon
1 hour ago, klecser said:

Part of the contract of role-playing is that people aren't going to try to metagame in preparation of the game.  If they are, you have bigger problems right out of the gate than running a scenario that meets your requirements. 

Oh, I totally agree.

Just expect them all having downloaded the Free Quick Start guide, one or two of them may well have consumed the whole 27 pages. 

That said, I will take your advice and run The Haunting this weekend with a few of the group as a dry run. Do you happen to know a good resource for nicer handouts and map artwork for the scenario? 

klecser

Pigeon

@klecser 👍

vincentVV

I'd also recommend CoC: Cracked'n'Crooked Manse, The Sealed Room (the one about vampire afair) and Trail of Cthulhu: Keepers of the Woods and Murderers of Thomas Fell. They all are good for a one session and have both investigations and roleplaing possibilities.

Pigeon

Thanks, @vincentVV will check them out 👍

yronimoswhateley

I cooked up a player-friendly 7th Edition "Quick-Start" guide with the default hand-outs for "The Haunting", if you're interested (it's basically the free Chaosium 7E quick-start guide, edited down to the stripped-down quick-start rules, a blank character sheet, the introduction hook for "The Haunting", and a map of the house with spoilers removed).

PM me if you'd like a copy of it, and also check out the YSDC wiki article for some suggestions, ideas, and tips for "The Haunting".

I think "The Haunting" is a fine introduction - it's one of the oldest Call of Cthulhu adventures, it's pretty simple and easy to run, some form of it has appeared in almost every edition of the game since the first, it's been the introduction to the game for many, if not most, CoC gamers, and it's highly customizable (there's nothing, really, to prevent you from moving the scenario to any time or place in earthly history or beyond with just a little tweaking, and the scenario's monster is pretty easy to "refluff" into anything that interests you - just for an example, the basic premise - a group of people are motivated for their own reasons to enter, explore, and survive a creepy location - is the foundation of horror movies ranging from some of the most famous haunted house movies ever, such as "The Haunting", "House on Haunted Hill", "Legend of Hell House", and "The Shining", to sci-fi/horror movies like "Alien" and "Event Horizon", to monster movies like "The Descent" and "The Ruin", to slasher movies like "The Hills Have Eyes" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", to a number of period horror movies involving soldiers exploring haunted trenches and bunkers, to a variety of found footage horror movies starting with "The Blair Witch Project", and much more....)

There's nothing wrong with the very popular 1920s setting, but I recommend running it as a modern-day scenario for a team of amateur ghost-hunters, and let your investigators wander the house (or abandoned hospital, asylum, prison, whatever) with tape recorders, night-vision video cameras, EVP recorders, digital thermometers, cell phones, lap tops, or whatever else they want to bring - it really shouldn't make the challenge any easier or less atmospheric for them, and the ghost-hunter hobbyist role is probably familiar to a lot of your players through the TV ghost-hunter "reality" shows that were a fad several years ago, or the countless found-footage movies based on the same concept.

LeonardH
22 hours ago, yronimoswhateley said:

I cooked up a player-friendly 7th Edition "Quick-Start" guide with the default hand-outs for "The Haunting", if you're interested (it's basically the free Chaosium 7E quick-start guide, edited down to the stripped-down quick-start rules, a blank character sheet, the introduction hook for "The Haunting", and a map of the house with spoilers removed).

PM me if you'd like a copy of it

Hey, that sounds very nice! May I have a look at that quickstart document, please? Thanks =)

yronimoswhateley

Sure, hit me with a private message.

DrMonster

Murder in the Footlights used to be a free download from Chaosium’s website.  It is set in the Thirties but could easily be set back a decade.  It is a simple, straitforward investigation with an interesting setpiece for the climax.

dulcamara

I second vincent's recommendation of Crack'd & Crooked Manse, works great as a one-shot and is a little more creative than The Haunting IMO. You would probably have to mock up your own handouts if you want to distribute them online, but they're pretty simple.

boulash

You can't go wrong with the Haunting but I'd recommend Edge of Darkness, which you'll find in the 5th and the 6th editions rulebooks.