DrMonster

Mexican horror?

DrMonster

I’m a sucker for cheesy Mexican horror and fantasy films of the 1950s and ‘60s.  Low budget, mostly black and white, mad scientists, Martians, Aztec mummies, luchador crimefighters, Universal Monsters rip-offs, vampires out the wazoo and spooky atmosphere to burn.  Some films are serious, others more superhero action or comedy.  Anyone attempted anything like this with Call of Cthulhu?

yronimoswhateley

I haven't, but what a fun idea!

It doesn't seem far off from a variation on Pulp Cthulhu: that source book starts with a wonderful run-down on the unique flavor of the later pulps, comic-book heroes, and radio and movie serials of the '30s and '40s (which were all surely a huge influence on Mexican horror and fantasy), and also resources for mad science, giant robots, super powers, and that sort of thing.

I'm betting the rest of the blanks (gangsters from Atlantis, Zombie bank-robbers, vampires from Mars, masked wrestlers:  all the usual suspects....) shouldn't be too difficult to fill in from there.....

DrMonster

Hmmm, “The Jaguar and the Pyramid of Destruction” sounds like it has its heart in the right place (... for the evil Aztec high priest to try to cut it out).

ReydeAmarillo

No RPG ideas I'm afraid, but for cheesy, aztec, sacrifice and Quetzcoatal, you can't beat "Q-the winged serpent". 

DrMonster

A few favorites, in no particular order:

Ship of Monsters (1960) -- Venus needs men!  A pair of slinky space vixens collects male aliens from various planets before encountering an amorous singing cowboy on Earth.  When he prefers one stellar glamour girl over the other, the jealous one threatens to unleash the other monstrous bridegrooms on humanity.

Castle of Monsters (1958) -- When the local undertaker's girlfriend disappears, he followers her suspected kidnapper to, well, you know.

Santo and Blue Demon Against the Monsters (1970) -- This time its brawny masked wrestlers against Mexican versions of the Universal Monsters.

The Mummies of Guanajuato (1972) -- El Santo, Blue Demon and Mil Mascaras take on an army of zombies.

The Champions of Justice (1971) -- Our usual masked heroes vs. wrestling midgets!

The Vampire (1957) and The Vampire's Coffin (1958) -- The first film is an excellent, atmospheric vampire yarn well worth seeing even if you don't speak Spanish.  The second is a comedic sequel in which the sinister Count is revived and chases the same girl from the first movie.  Both are fun but only the first is a serious horror film.

The Aztec Mummy Against the Humanoid Robot (1958) -- Supervillain Dr. Krupp builds a robot to recover a treasure guarded by You Know Who.  Very pulpy adventure tale, lots of fun.

The Scoundrels (1968) — Mil Máscaras battles a sexy gang leader and her goons. Regina Torne burns up the screen as the villainess.

nclarke

Sandy Petersen loves these type of cheesy movies and usually brings a few when attending The Kraken. We have a couple of late night movie sessions with the movie chosen by popular vote whenever he attends.

PoC

@SandyPetersen is a huge fan of these kinds of film and often uses elements from them for scene inspiration.

DrMonster

See?  Why confront your intrepid investigators with mere cultists when you could throw a squad of brawny midget wrestlers at them instead?  (If only BRP had decent martial arts rules!)

HomoLupusDomesticus
On 13/09/2018 at 01:35, AkronTony said:

There is MesoAmerica  Cthulhu. by Pagan Press.    https://www.amazon.com/Mysteries-Mesoamerica-Call-Cthulhu-RPG/dp/1887797254

I too have been wanting to write a scenario with lucha libre characters and their associates.  I really like Santo and Blue Demon. 

Mysteries of Mesoamerica is not going to be of any use here. Lucha Libre Hero is pretty much THE RPG book on the topic, full of excellent information and lovingly written by knowledgable fans of the genre. Link: Lucha Libre Hero - Hero Games | HERO System | DriveThruRPG.com

HERDOJHERO401E_500.jpeg

Now if someone would come up with a conversion to some popular rule sets... Still, well worth checking out!

PoC

Wow, I never knew that existed! I do know @BigJackBrass is also a bit of a fan of the subject.

BigJackBrass
16 minutes ago, PoC said:

Wow, I never knew that existed! I do know @BigJackBrass is also a bit of a fan of the subject.

It's just possible that I might have two or three copies of Lucha Libre Hero and a selection of DVDs, true...

7 hours ago, HomoLupusDomesticus said:

HERDOJHERO401E_500.jpeg

Now if someone would come up with a conversion to some popular rule sets...

Harsh!

GBSteve

I've done it in Hellboy. A Nazi sorcerer living in the Chicago projects unleashes a demon that requires putting down. The team must travel then to Mexico City and root around in the subway to find the entrance to a hidden pyramid and defeat the evil at its source. I also chucked in Santa Muerte for good measure. Of course this was some 20 years ago when Tepito station was still under construction.

I found some notes, which I never finished, although I did run the game twice. Might do for a more modern Pulp game.

Projekt Rauchende Spiegel

1930s Nazi archaeologists scour the globe in search of ancient occult artefacts. These are to be used in the fight to come.

1935 Mexico

Rudi Kreuzfeld discovers an inscription describing the burial place of Black Tezcatpolica after the end of the fourth Aztec age. Rudi’s requests for more funds are turned down because he is Jewish. Rudi goes to the US to raise more funds.

1936 Boston

Rudi Kreuzfeld manages to interest the Harvard Archaeological Society and funds are granted to send an expedition to Mexico. Rudi dies in an apparent mugging whilst crossing Harvard Square with papers relating to the expedition, which is cancelled as the papers contained the critical information. In fact Rudi was followed back to the US and killed by a member of the Black North Cult who still follow the old ways and don’t want their activities to be discovered. The cause of death is found to be stabbing in the heart with a stone knife.

1943 Mexico

The war is turning against Germany. Many of the senior officials seek bolt-holes, notably in South America. Projekt Rauchende Spiegel is created as a cover for these activities. However the project seems to do quite well, using as its basis papers provided by a local cult member seduced by a Nazi.

1944 Mexico

Reports to Berlin indicate that the general location of the tomb has been found but that not exactly pinpointed. More funds are requested but then reports stop.

1945 Mexico

Harry Wise, looking to escape Germany, volunteers to go to Mexico to chase up leads. He manages to appropriate local Nazi funds but finds no trace of the expedition, except an area in which all is dead and covered in slime. He also gets papers relating to the dig. Harry uses the money to forge a new identity and escapes into the US. In fact, the group found the Smoking Mirror in the tomb and used it to contact the other realm and accidentally summoned Appsot. Appsot rampaged killing everything in the area except for 2 girls aged 12 and 13 who were protected by the fact that they were menstruating at the time. Appsot is powerless against menstruating women and dreads any kind of blood. Appsot was finally banished when the girls chucked the mirror in the lake. The lake has since become barren, and in fact sterilises any female who is immersed in it for more than 10 minutes.

1946 Chicago

Harry sets up shop in the landlord business and creates his Teufelmachin to extend his lifespan.

Now Chicago

Harry contacts Appsot using the Rauchende Spiegel material and sets in motion the events that lead him to being caught by the B.P.R.D. Harry knows what happened to the crew in 1944 and once he starts to melt, suspects that it is the contact with Appsot that caused it. As far as he know, only Appsot can remove the curse, but he must be forced to do so. Harry does not know how to summon Appsot.

Now Mexico

The village, tomb and lake have all been swallowed up by Mexico City. In fact the easiest access to the tomb is via the subway that runs nearby. The cult still exists but have no become criminals.

The lake is now completely underground but there is a big factory near lake that uses it for dumping pollution, and the lake doesn’t look very savoury. The Mirror’s badness has created a creature that kills locals – El Chupacabra?

Something about Santa Muerte.

The lake is near Tepito subway station.

DrMonster

Lucha Libre Hero is a book I’ve wanted for some time but I never seem to have the money.  I’m a longtime Champions/Hero fan.

There was a brief time in the 1980s when publishers put out adventures for multiple systems:  Justice, Inc., Call of Cthulhu, Daredevils and Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes.  It kind of gave a feel of what comprable adventurers would look like.  The Hero System versons were tougher than the Cthulhu ones because of the different assumptions of their parent games.

Max_Writer

I've been running Down Darker Trails and, when my investigators eventually end up in Mexico I might try to adapt this:

ba9a90c2332a4a2a4d90e7e03c805961.jpg

AkronTony
On 15/09/2018 at 17:57, GBSteve said:

I've done it in Hellboy...

I completely forgot there is actually a HellBoy in Mexico graphic novel.  

yronimoswhateley

I've never read the novels, but one of the characters from the television adaptation of vampire horror series The Strain was an aging, injured luchador, The Silver Angel, who was (in universe) a famous Mexican wrestler who appeared in movies as a masked hero who uses his wrestling skills - and some brass knuckles mounted with silver crucifixes - to fight movie vampires; after a crippling leg injury ended his wrestling career, he was forced to subsist by working as a dish-washer in an Indian restaurant, but makes a come-back in the vampire apocalypse of the books, acting as a sort of role-model and later a mentor to one of his fans as vampire-hunting characters of the story.  I didn't like the show very much, but I thought the character and his come-back story in which he rise from the ashes of his wrestling and movie career to become a real hero to his fans was awesome and was one of the few reasons I followed the show, I totally lost interest in the show when the character dropped out of the series....

HomoLupusDomesticus
On 15/09/2018 at 11:02, BigJackBrass said:

Harsh!

Not intended as such. There's nothing inherently wrong about the Hero system. Just the general consensus about Lucha Libre Hero seems to be that people would really love a conversion to [insert favourite/more popular ruleset]. I bet a BRP version would prove popular on these boards.

DrMonster

I don’t think it is a matter of popularity, rather a reversal of the publishers’ fortunes.  Hero Games published and apparently sold a library of 5th edition material.  It was a Renaissance after the long hiatus post 4th edition.  During this period Chaosium was limping along with only Call of Cthulhu and monographs that were available only on the publisher’s website.  It had practically vanished from the marketplace.

However, Hero overreached itself with an expensive two-volume 6th edition that contained controversial rules changes.  It published some 6th edition content but didn't have the oomph of the earlier triumphant return.  It shrunk into a one- man company and tried to return to its earlier single volume simplicity with Champions Complete.  Meanwhile, Chaosium began to wake up with the compilation of the Big Gold Book.  Runequest fans were energized by Mongoose’s versions.  The plans for CoC 7 and the return of Chaosium’s founders reinvigorated the company and enabled it to start pumping out product again and get it on store shelves.

Both BRP and Hero System are venerable game systems with dedicated fans.  We are just at a time when Chaosium is on the rise and Hero Games is reassessing its strategy.

BigJackBrass

I can particularly recommend this book for further information on the genre. It's not easy to find copies of the films, particularly with English subtitles, but this will point you in the right direction.

IMG_20180921_134124_543.jpg

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now