PoC

YSDC "Eternal Journal"

PoC

Launching this month (August 2018) is a new item from Innsmouth House Press/Thin King Publications, the YSDC Eternal Journal.

The Eternal Journal is in essence an A5 notebook that uses discs as its binding mechanism. Below is an example of our newly revised "Patron Zine" in Eternal Journal format.

IOTSOTOT Eternal Edition Cover.

The advantages of a disc-binding format are that pages can easily be added and removed (push them in, peel them out – the same can be done with covers) and the notebook/journal can be conveniently folded back on itself to take up less space.

It is a journal in the broadest sense as it can not only include published items (articles, utilities, guides, maps, rules sets, scenarios, fiction etc.) but can also be used as a personal journal/diary or notebook.

YSDC Eternal Journal - Calendar Examples.

YSDC Eternal Journal - Graph Paper Example.

Notepaper, articles, A3 foldout maps and the like will be available to purchase as individual bundles so you can stock your new journal the way you like. The system can be used beyond "Cthulhu" gaming of course and we'll be developing more support materials as time goes by. The Journal comes with either plastic (general) or metal discs (Patron) and can hold well over 100 pages. We'll be offering an "Archive Set" option for longer term storage of your finished pages in due course.

Pre-orders open on Monday, 20th August until the end of the month. All pre-orders will come with a special 'Whiteboard" wet-erase cover (and allow us to gauge how much to print on the first run - which would be a big help).

It's a very flexible "Journal" system and it's how we'll be publishing our own materials in the future. We've also got a number of different covers in process (including a commemorative one for this year's YSDC Games Day).

YSDC Eternal Journal: Wet Erase Overlay - Dungeon Example.

Example of a wet-erase overlay in use.

I hope you find the new Eternal Journal format of interest. I've certainly found it a joy since I started using it!

Natai

Very cool!

I recently used a similar disc-bound notebook to print out parts of the new MoN. Great way to combine pre-made content with keeper notes and other reference materials. The dry erase cover/insert is a great idea!

One question:  Will the Eternal Journal work with any of the "hole" punches used by similar systems?

PoC
1 hour ago, Natai said:

Will the Eternal Journal work with any of the "hole" punches used by similar systems?

It's not something I've investigated. You may find an answer online about the compatibility of the various disc-binding systems.

GBSteve

The Arc paper punch, I think, works with this system. It's not cheap. I found a couple more on Amazon, #1 and #2 for about £23 each.

Natai

The main two systems I know of are Arc and Tul. I have the Tul punch and it works with both systems, so I'd say odds are good either will work with the journal. 

And you are correct that these punches are not cheap. Of course, there's a lot more punches than a 3-hole punch, and consequently a lot more metal involved. 

PoC

Marty takes a look at the new Journal format:

Chitin

Are there still plans to release material in a format that can be used by the CBC Leather Journal, as mentioned in the post that's linked below? Or have those plans been scrapped for the YSDC Eternal Journal?

Specifically, 

On 21/07/2017 at 12:53, PoC said:

This is a refillable journal. Some of our future plans include Yoggie publications (rules, scenarios, guides, zines) designed to fit inside this pocketable notebook so you can read (or play) them from your hand crafted journal.

PoC

We produced MiniDisc booklets in the CBC Journal format which were fine (though a little labour intensive) but the first edition of IOTSOTOT in the same CBC Journal style (at 35+ pages) clearly demonstrated that while conceptually it was a very nice idea, production was unfeasible for longer form material – which is why I looked for a more suitable and sustainable publication format.

Chitin
2 hours ago, PoC said:

We produced MiniDisc booklets in the CBC Journal format which were fine (though a little labour intensive) but the first edition of IOTSOTOT in the same CBC Journal style (at 35+ pages) clearly demonstrated that while conceptually it was a very nice idea, production was unfeasible for longer form material – which is why I looked for a more suitable and sustainable publication format.

What?! I missed out on stuff? NOOOOOOOO!!!! It's okay...you'll survive...just find a paper bag and breath into it or something. Sorry bout that, okay...so, August 20th, got it, we'll be there. August 20th...August 20th....

PoC

🙂 The 20th is a Monday, and of course HPL's birthday...

PoC

Journal capacity measured at 100 sheets (200 pages). Pages can be inserted and removed easily (for long-term storage in "Archive Discs"). The Starter Sets (covers, discs and example pages) will be approximately half full. Again, simply choose what you want to keep in your journal at any point.

YSDC Eternal Journal Storage capacity - 100 sheets.

PoC

If you pick up one of our “Starter Kits” (covers, discs, various intro pages) when they’re available from the Yoggie Shoppe you will be added to a new additional YSDC group: “The Eternals”. At the moment it’s just a nice title but in the future it may prove useful for exclusives, freebies and information updates (if you’re signed up to our news lists).

Pre-orders will go live on Monday, 20th August and close at the end of the month. Once pre-orders have closed they will be fulfilled before the Journals go on general sale (planned for later in September).