Sign in to follow this  
JeffErwin

Paris c.1620-80

JeffErwin

My Averoigne project is now Swashbucklers vrs. Cthulhu (except serious)... Possibly to be called Paris: Cultes des Ghouls. I'll release it to the Repository.

I have a paid project I'm working on right now but this is my go-to when I have a mental block on the other one. So far, 140 pp., detailing a realistic (not a parody) 17th c. Paris, eight cults, and RW intrigue.

(the Dee project is on ice)

Highlights:

* the Affair of the Poisons

* the Man in the Iron Mask

* the Rosicrucians

* sword fighting rules (though good luck with that against mythos beasties)

Any suggestions anyone wants to offer up will be considered. If I bite, I'll credit you.

Mysterioso
15 minutes ago, JeffErwin said:

My Averoigne project is now Swashbucklers vrs. Cthulhu (except serious)... Possibly to be called Paris: Cultes des Ghouls. I'll release it to the Repository.

I have a paid project I'm working on right now but this is my go-to when I have a mental block on the other one. So far, 140 pp., detailing a realistic (not a parody) 17th c. Paris, eight cults, and RW intrigue.

(the Dee project is on ice)

Highlights:

* the Affair of the Poisons

* the Man in the Iron Mask

* the Rosicrucians

* sword fighting rules (though good luck with that against mythos beasties)

Any suggestions anyone wants to offer up will be considered. If I bite, I'll credit you.

Strongly recommend you take a look at these:

The Three Mystic Heirs: The Rose Knight's Crucifixion

The Three Monks of Tears: The Rose Knight's Crucifixion

They are by "Lawrence Ellsworth" who is actually Lawrence Schick who worked at TSR.  I think they'll give some interesting links to your project.  Additionally Ellsworth/Schick is still around on social media and if you reached out to him might be able to give even more to work with.

I also strongly recommend his translation of The Three Musketeers.  It is the most readable one out there by far.

JeffErwin

Well, I've been reading Ellsworth's translation of the Red Sphinx... and my contemplation of getting those books has moved to 'probable.' Thank you.

On the other hand, I'm rooting my interpretation of the Rosy Cross on my own historical research, so I may wait a short while so as to keep things separate in my head.

On an unrelated note,

One thing I noticed when I was reading was that in SoYS Anne de Chantraine appears to be living in Paris in this period, and the Silver Twilight may have even been founded there.

Mysterioso

I read The Red Sphinx too. His translation was great on that one too but I found it dragged a bit when compared to The Three Musketeers and his parallel books.

Ric

I was browsing through the "Paris Gothique" supplement for the "All for One" RPG in the Ubiquity system, which is 17c Paris and I noticed that King Louis XIII was listed as taking advice from one Belphegor! Now that's a gift Jeff, with Anne de Chantraine already in Paris, the two of them could well be founding the Silver Twilight!

andreroy

Don't have much for suggestion, but French is my native language and I used to teach it too (for 13 years) before a change of career...so if you need someone to proof read (especially the French elements) it could help you.

If you read The Three Musketeers,  try to read the 2 sequels Twenty Years After and The Vicomte of Bragelonne: ten year later.

The first sequel is set during the Fronde era (1648-1653) after the events in The Three Musketeers (1625-1628). The second sequel is set between 1660 and 1673, there are a few subplots (The exiled Charles II, Louise de la Vallière, the Man in the Iron Mask) which could help.

GBSteve

How did Richelieu come through the Day of Dupes?

What influenced Colbert in his redesign of Paris late in the period?

Why did the Sorbonne burn in 1670, and how was the Chapel spared?

What of the Devils of Loudun and the almost certainly related Louviers possessions? How did this not spread to the rest of France, or perhaps the Affair of the Poisons was its culmination?

JeffErwin
20 hours ago, GBSteve said:

How did Richelieu come through the Day of Dupes?

What influenced Colbert in his redesign of Paris late in the period?

Why did the Sorbonne burn in 1670, and how was the Chapel spared?

What of the Devils of Loudun and the almost certainly related Louviers possessions? How did this not spread to the rest of France, or perhaps the Affair of the Poisons was its culmination?

Wow.

Curiously I can't find much of anything on the Sorbonne fire, even in French, which suggests that story is wide open for all sorts of scenarios.

On 01/08/2018 at 05:25, Ric said:

I was browsing through the "Paris Gothique" supplement for the "All for One" RPG in the Ubiquity system, which is 17c Paris and I noticed that King Louis XIII was listed as taking advice from one Belphegor! Now that's a gift Jeff, with Anne de Chantraine already in Paris, the two of them could well be founding the Silver Twilight!

Paris Gothique is pretty much built around ridiculous filmic swashbuckling, and has a very weak grasp of history, fun... but trash as a historical setting. I have a copy, and its version of Paris was one of the reasons I wanted to write this...

I don't want to spoil that setting, but their Belphegor is not our CoC character, though the name is closely associated with pulp stories in Paris.

21 hours ago, andreroy said:

Don't have much for suggestion, but French is my native language and I used to teach it too (for 13 years) before a change of career...so if you need someone to proof read (especially the French elements) it could help you.

If you read The Three Musketeers,  try to read the 2 sequels Twenty Years After and The Vicomte of Bragelonne: ten year later.

The first sequel is set during the Fronde era (1648-1653) after the events in The Three Musketeers (1625-1628). The second sequel is set between 1660 and 1673, there are a few subplots (The exiled Charles II, Louise de la Vallière, the Man in the Iron Mask) which could help.

I have read them and plan on rereading them again soon. I lived in France, but the language is a bit rusty, so I will keep you in mind. Thank you.

GBSteve
10 hours ago, JeffErwin said:

Curiously I can't find much of anything on the Sorbonne fire, even in French

Me neither, but this is a very nice timeline of documents.

I have a number of books about mysterious and magical Paris. I'll have a look later to see if there is anything apposite to the fire, and other period events.

Ric

Yes, I read through the entire "Paris Gothique" manual afterwards and it struck me as a real grab bag of ideas without a lot of thought about making it coherent. And yes Belphegor is the traditional figure. The idea that he has 'taken over' (consumed the likeness?) of a significant figure intrigues me though. I always felt the Belphegor figure in SOYS was somehow insubstantial - existing in a vacuum. What pulp stories is he associated with Jeff, please? I think I will do some research on this.  

GBSteve

I've got the Guide du Paris Mystérieux by Carradec and Masson. It's full of lovely stuff but it's indexed by theme and by street. So it's a question of looking through until you find something apposite. Or perhaps using google books to search and then going to the page.

JeffErwin
5 hours ago, GBSteve said:

I've got the Guide du Paris Mystérieux by Carradec and Masson. It's full of lovely stuff but it's indexed by theme and by street. So it's a question of looking through until you find something apposite. Or perhaps using google books to search and then going to the page.

Thank you, I'll try to locate that...

13 hours ago, Ric said:

Yes, I read through the entire "Paris Gothique" manual afterwards and it struck me as a real grab bag of ideas without a lot of thought about making it coherent. And yes Belphegor is the traditional figure. The idea that he has 'taken over' (consumed the likeness?) of a significant figure intrigues me though. I always felt the Belphegor figure in SOYS was somehow insubstantial - existing in a vacuum. What pulp stories is he associated with Jeff, please? I think I will do some research on this.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belphégor_(novel)

Belphégor has a pretty strong presence in French pop culture; it's been adapted into film several times. Belphegor the demon is said (in De Plancy) to be the patron devil of Paris and France.

JeffErwin

I have, it turns out, identified the Man in the Iron Mask in the process of researching this book! (What comes of reading nearly everything published on him and the Affaire des Poisons, one imagines).

Which requires a bit of work to write up as an article, I suppose. I'm not sharing it here, but it is (and is not) a person already connected with the mystery (there is a mistaken identity involved). Fortunately the history of the fellow works well for all sorts of occult and gaming purposes, though that's wasn't my primary objective. He isn't a royal twin or bastard or anything quite so romantic.

I should probably find a publisher for this.

Mysterioso
12 hours ago, JeffErwin said:

I should probably find a publisher for this.

Oui!