JeffErwin

Paris c.1620-80

Mysterioso

I wonder if Golden Goblin Press's Cthulhu Invictus 7E has not done a large part of the heavy lifting in terms of game mechanics for Cthulhu et le Roi Soleil and thus would not be a better venue for your work than Cakebread and Walton's Cthulhu and Clockwork.  

JeffErwin
1 hour ago, Mysterioso said:

I wonder if Golden Goblin Press's Cthulhu Invictus 7E has not done a large part of the heavy lifting in terms of game mechanics for Cthulhu et le Roi Soleil and thus would not be a better venue for your work than Cakebread and Walton's Cthulhu and Clockwork.  

It has done some lifting. I am using conventional CoC for my basic structure. It's not hard to convert it to Renaissance.

The chief mechanical problem is providing a satisfying and fun sword fighting system.

sasori

I for one would be interested in this as a product!

I can see that BRP in general is not a great system for recreating swashbuckling fights, but maybe porting a few ideas from Pulp Cthulhu in terms of Pulp Talents and some of the Luck Spending rules into your game would help move things in the right direction whilst still not being overpowering in tone, as long as they stayed in genre.

A little thinking outside the box e.g. Fast Talk rolls in combat to distract the opponent, a la Cyrano de Bergerac might also be worth thinking about...

Actually, I think I feel a blog post coming on for Swashbuckling and Cthulhu...

yockenthwaite

Belatedly spotted this thread, just as I'm nearing the end of my first The Three Musketeers read (Will Hobson's 2014 translation). Count me as another one who'd buy this book :)

IbnGhazi
On 31/12/2018 at 15:46, JeffErwin said:

The chief mechanical problem is providing a satisfying and fun sword fighting system.

Jeff - Just a suggestion, but I would consider having a look at what Mongoose publishing did with their "Runequest 2" combat system, which is very Basic Roleplaying friendly in it's conception. I'd use something like that as a basis, then obtain/beg/borrow/steal a copy of the old "En Garde!" book from Game Designers' Workshop, which was originally designed around a a duelling system as it's central mechanic. Both offer flavour to melee combat regarding manoeuvres, especially En Garde.

"En Garde!" Reprinted in 2005 https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/66957/en-garde

Edit: also worth a look for inspiration:  Flashing Blades (FGU) 1984    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/585/Flashing-Blades?it=1

Some food for thought if you are at an impasse...

nclarke

Would be worth grabbing a copy of the free Mythras Imperative from DTRPG. It's written by Loz Whittaker and Pete Nash who did the RQII stuff for MGP and is a further development of the system that started out as Runequest then BRP (and Call of Cthulhu).

MI has a combat system that is very much based on actual sword techniques as Pete teaches HEMA/medieval sword fighting.

JeffErwin
17 hours ago, nclarke said:

Would be worth grabbing a copy of the free Mythras Imperative from DTRPG...

Thanks.

JeffErwin

Thinking about the Ghoul aspect of this campaign. Obviously witches and ghouls would a big part of it. Nyogtha would seem to be a good focus (if only for variety). Tsathoggua too. What obscure mythos entities deserve some swashbuckling attention? Suggestions?

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now