MadHalfling

Finding Mythos Minis

MadHalfling

I've been interested in finding some mythos minis for putting on the map when we play Eldritch Horror and noticed the Death May Die KS from CMON.  The game, to me, looks a bit uninspiring, but there's (in true CMON KS style) now an ever increasing amount of minis being included in the base set, so I was wondering about getting it just for those.  $130 delivered to the UK, when broken down by mini, isn't quite so bad, but I was wondering if anyone had found a decent source of mythos minis elsewhere?

Here's the campaign for comparison of the sculpts to other sources

Cheers

Phil

nclarke

There's the older RAFM figures which are closer to 25mm size compared to current (28mm) figures. There's Bob Murch's Pulp Figures range of 1920 miniatures which are people rather than monsters. There are quite a few miniatures in the Clix Horror range that can be used as well. 

yronimoswhateley

Try Reaper Miniatures' "Bones" line of plastic minis - they're rather a nice balance of a variety of nice sculpts with a low price, with both small and gigantic Cthulhu monsters, as well as a few fine scenic items (altars, monoliths, etc.), and a nice (if small) selection of investigator types.  Reaper's "Bones" fantasy and "Chronoscope" (pulp & sci-fi themed) miniatures also provide a nice selection of monsters, scenics, and PC/NPC types, so I recommend checking out the range of Bones minis outside the Cthulhu Mythos.  The plastic material allows Reaper to produce some remarkably large sculpts that wouldn't be possible with metal, while plastic tends to be lighter and easier to store, cheaper, more customizable, and more durable than metal, though perhaps not quite as nice and substantial as metal; a few people find it harder to paint, but I thought they came out about even with metal for painting.  Reaper's crowd-funding campaigns have resulted in a nice selection of Cthulhu monsters and such, especially large ones like Cthulhu, Dagon, Shub-Niggurath, and (in the most recent campaign) Nyarlathotep.  They also produced a nice, large scenic Standing Stones set with an altar stone that seemed pretty popular with their backers, it looked fantastic, and seems like just the place for a showdown with some cultists.

Sandy Petersen's "Cthulhu Wars" plastic miniatures are another source of inexpensive but nice Cthulhu-themed minis, with a bewildering selection of monsters of all kinds (though there are no "investigator"/human NPC characters or scenics or anything like that - just some generic cultists, and a LOT of monsters!)  I've never tried customizing or painting these, but most are great sculpts, and should look fantastic on the table when painted.

Wizkids has produced more than a few Cthulhu-themed plastic, pre-painted, collectible miniatures game minis for the Pathfinder RPG setting, which embraces the Cthulhu Mythos as an integral part of its dark fantasy setting; with the CMG sales/distribution model, it might be hard to find some of the "uncommon" and "rare" minis in that line at a reasonable price, but it's worth checking out.  CMG miniatures for D&D, Star Wars, MageKnight, Horror Clix, and other plastic pre-painted collectible miniature lines might also have some fantasy or sci-fi miniatures at reasonable or even bargain prices, that can be repurposed as Cthulhu monsters.  I'm pretty sure there are a few "Cthulhu" themed mini lines out there that I'm not familiar with (the market, to be honest, was oversaturated with collectible minis games a few years ago, before the bubble burst on that scheme!)  On the bright side, no painting needed (though repainting is an option), but on the down side the factory painting is usually pretty sloppy and murky, while erratic supply and demand make sourcing the out-of-print prepaints kind of tricky.

If you're into terrain/diaramas, too, Mantic Games recently produced some "Terrain Crate" sets of plastic terrain, which was mostly designed for fantasy gamers, but includes some handy and generally timeless stuff like a library's worth of book cases, desks, and chairs, as well as some altar stones and such.  Reaper Miniatures' Bones line also includes a similar line of individual furniture/dungeon-dressing models intended for fantasy gamers but compatible with Cthulhu minis as well, with their own fair share of book cases, tables, chairs, altar stones, and whatever.

I loved the old RAFM metal minis that nclarke mentions, and have a box of those in storage somewhere, or at least some from the '70s and '80s.  If you can still find them, they're beautiful stuff, but perhaps hard to find and expensive by today's standards.

DrMonster

Re:  Bones line, Tikis are fish people.  Lizard folk could sub for serpent people.  There's a "shoggoth" which is a (smallish) single giant eyeball riding on tentacles.  You've got alien grays, and rat folk who could sub for Lovecraftian ghouls.  You've got bat-winged gorillas straight out of Howard's Conan tales.  There are smaller Cthulhu spawn alikes in addition to the Big Guy himself.

Dont neglect the toy section of your local discount stores -- all sorts of prepainted minis both characters and monsters.

MadHalfling

Cheers, will have to have a (swift - before the KS ends) look at all of those options and compare them - maybe even just to fill up the holes that the KS doesn't cover.  Will have to go through all the EH expansions I've got (I seem to have accumulated a few) and see how many different ones I need.....and then go an sob in a corner.  On the plus side, once I've got them I can use them for other Lovecraftian games that don't have minis.

yronimoswhateley
15 hours ago, MadHalfling said:

Cheers, will have to have a (swift - before the KS ends) look at all of those options and compare them - maybe even just to fill up the holes that the KS doesn't cover.  Will have to go through all the EH expansions I've got (I seem to have accumulated a few) and see how many different ones I need.....and then go an sob in a corner.  On the plus side, once I've got them I can use them for other Lovecraftian games that don't have minis.

Oh, I hadn't realized the Bones Kickstarter 4 was still open for last-minute orders!  Some things to note about the Kickstarters:

Spoiler

1. The minis from Bones KS4 have not been manufactured yet, and won't be ready for months.  Now is a great time to get a number of great minis all at once with a relatively low amount of backing money, but then there will be a frustrating  waiting game as they are manufactured, shipped from China, etc., with inevitable delays....
  2. If you've never backed one before, there are some risks to backing Kickstarters:  in every big Kickstarter campaign I've ever seen, there are always people who back under the impression that they are "customers" who are "pre-ordering" something; in reality, you're a bit more like an investor, backing an entrepreneur with no insurance that they will deliver what they are offering you to encourage you to crowd-fund the enterprise.  I have had nothing but positive experiences with Reaper's Kickstarters, aside from the occasional delay of a few months (generally the result of doing manufacturing business in China), but, as they say in this sort of thing, "past performance is no guarantee of future results", and I guess you never know how things will turn out until the rewards are fulfilled and shipped to you.  (In contrast, the infamous Kickstarter for 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu was nearly disastrous, but for the good will, tremendous risks, and great efforts of the folks who bought Chaosium and bailed the Kickstarter out!)
  3. You missed the Bones Kickstarter 3 from a year or so ago - that was the best of the four big Reaper "Bones" Kickstarters for Cthulhu gamers!
    • On the downside, it's too late to get all the cool stuff from that Kickstarter together, at a great price.
    • On the upside, all of those miniatures have been manufactured and the rewards already shipped, with most (if not all) available on Ebay or otherwise available through the secondary market from the backers, as well as through online gaming stores and from the manufacturer's store.
    • That Kickstarter included Dagon, Shub-Niggurath, the "Mystic Circle" Standing Stones/Stonehenge scenic, a "Graveyard Expansion" with a crypt and gravestones and other wonderful scenic bits as well as some fantastic ghosts and ghouls and such, a Dark Young, an altar and a handful of cultists, a handful of Deep Ones, a Gug, a couple Mi-go, about a dozen Cthulhu investigators, a couple cthulhu idols/statues, a half-dozen pulp-themed "Savage Worlds" minis (who could all pass for investigators and NPCs), some Yetis, a set of Torture Chamber scenic bits, some man-eating plants, a brain in a jar, a werewolf and vampire-bat-man-thing, a couple of great hooded wizard-types, "Goremaw" (a gigantic, gnarly-looking worm-monster), and more...
    • If you'd like a glimpse at what kinds of Lovecraftiana the first couple Bones Kickstarters released, here's some links to Bones KS I, Bones KS II, Bones KS III, and Bones KS IV (the first Kickstarter included Cthulhu itself, along with a small "Mythos Monsters" set and some zombies and modern zombie-hunters, while the second included some great pulp and Weird West characters, a nice Kraken tentacle-monster, and "Mashaaf, Great Old One" (a gigantic maggot-monster-thing).... Most of the better Cthulhu-monster stuff is at least available on Ebay.

The short version is that the stuff from Bones KS4 won't be ready for a couple months, but now is a good time to take the plunge on backing it, doing the homework first and weighing the risks vs. rewards if you've never backed a Kickstarter before.  Meanwhile, some of the older stuff from the first three Kickstarters is already available out there, but not as cheaply or as easy to find as they were before the Kickstarters closed.

15 hours ago, DrMonster said:

Re:  Bones line, Tikis are fish people.  Lizard folk could sub for serpent people.  There's a "shoggoth" which is a (smallish) single giant eyeball riding on tentacles.  You've got alien grays, and rat folk who could sub for Lovecraftian ghouls.  You've got bat-winged gorillas straight out of Howard's Conan tales.  There are smaller Cthulhu spawn alikes in addition to the Big Guy himself....

Great stuff - and something I'll add:

Spoiler

For some reason, the fantasy gamers frown every time Reaper included Cthulhu stuff in their Kickstarters, saying they can't find a use for Cthulhu monsters in fantasy.

Trying to explain that Robert E. "Conan the Barbarian" Howard and H.P. Lovecraft were good friends and set their famous creations in the same universe didn't seem to sway those fantasy guys too much!  They were adamant that you couldn't get Lovecraftian chocolate into their fantasy peanut butter.

Definitely try to avoid making the same mistake:  there's lots of great fantasy stuff that can easily be repurposed for use in a Cthulhu game with only a little imagination - starting with the guys DrMonster mentions, but then there are also fantasy ghosts, skeletons, mummies, vampires and werewolves, ghouls and zombies, wizards and druids and witches and necromancers (they all make great cultists and villains!), Reaper's "bathalians" (a copyright-friendly version of D&D's "mind flayers":  creepy-looking wizards with tentacles for faces - what self-respecting Keeper couldn't think of a use for those?) and "eye beasts" and other D&D weirdos, wild and domestic animals (you might not find a frequent use for cows and horses or whatever, but the rats, wolves, wild cats, crocodiles, snakes, beetles, spiders, scorpions, and worms will surely come in handy at least once!), ogres, fire and air and water elementals, demons and devils, ogres (many of the modern examples of ogres take their cues from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes and can make fine inbred, degenerate Dunwich folk), blobs and slimes and oozes, scarecrows and golems, and even the occasional dragon/wyrm/wyvern have more than a touch of the Lovecraftian around them, when put in the right context!

In other words, too many fantasy gamers fail to see the cross-over uses in their fantasy RPGs for Cthulhu monsters.  Hopefully, Cthulhu gamers are better at seeing the cross-over uses for fantasy monsters and characters in their Cthulhu games!  🙂

MrHandy

Mansions of Madness comes with a good selection of Cthulhu Mythos minis, both investigators and monsters. Their bases also allow you to slide in monster tokens, and the ones from Arkham and Eldritch Horror are the same size. In addition, there are official Arkham Horror minis from Fantasy Flight Games. They may be some of the same sculpts as in Mansions of Madness.

HerbirdFluWest

Not sure how up to date it is but this list seems pretty comprehensive to me.

mvincent
On 18/07/2018 at 14:27, MadHalfling said:

I was wondering if anyone had found a decent source of mythos minis elsewhere?

My favorites are:

• Pre-painted:
    • Arkham horror prepainted
    • Pathfinder minis (Ythians, Mi-go, etc.)
    • Heroclix (lots of 'normal' people are available, inexpensively, which I rebase)
  • Unpainted:
    • Cthulhu Wars
    • Mansions of Madness

DrMonster

I can't emphasize hitting the toy section of your local discount or dollar store enough.  Animals, robots,  super villains, knights, ninjas, space men, monsters --- prepainted and often much cheaper than anything you'll find at a game shop or hobby supplier.  I will even throw in toys from fast food restaurants.  They tend to be bigger than 25-28 mm but if you're looking for monsters that's a feature rather than a bug.  I got a 40-member army of giant (40 mm) skeleton warriors from the post Halloween discount bin.  If Stephen King can throw clowns at children, you can throw a giant Ronald McDonald at your hapless investigators.  Farm animals boring?  Not when they stand the equivalent of 10-15 feet tall at the shoulder compared to your heroes.   Keep in mind that Ancient Greek demigods built their careers battling oversized hogs, cattle and cats.  Call them mutant products of weird science and stampede them in your players' direction.  Ditto sea creatures.  I've got a penguin that stands two heads taller than 28 mm.  Obviously a were-penguin!

yronimoswhateley

And it's definitely worth that emphasis, DrMonster - a handful of the original RPG miniatures for one of the first incarnations of D&D began their lives as a package of Korean plastic dime-store toy "Kaiju" monsters packaged as "dinosaurs" in the 1970s, inspiring entries in that game's monster manuals and surviving to this day as signature mainstay monsters of that game:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MxYAAOSwDk5T5vXw/s-l400.jpg

Some of those 70s vintage toy monsters would have made splendid home-brew Cthulhu monsters, too. 

Alas, I used to own a pack of those myself, and lost them by the 1980s - I kind of wish I'd kept them safer, as surviving examples are pretty hard to find now!  Still, if that was what was available in the 1970s, who knows what treasures you might catch in the toy aisle of your local dollar or department store with the huge selection of toys available today?

PoC

Wow... that’s a Rust Monster!

Well well.

MadHalfling
2 hours ago, DrMonster said:

I can't emphasize hitting the toy section of your local discount or dollar store enough.  Animals, robots,  super villains, knights, ninjas, space men, monsters --- prepainted and often much cheaper than anything you'll find at a game shop or hobby supplier.  I will even throw in toys from fast food restaurants.  They tend to be bigger than 25-28 mm but if you're looking for monsters that's a feature rather than a bug.  I got a 40-member army of giant (40 mm) skeleton warriors from the post Halloween discount bin.  If Stephen King can throw clowns at children, you can throw a giant Ronald McDonald at your hapless investigators.  Farm animals boring?  Not when they stand the equivalent of 10-15 feet tall at the shoulder compared to your heroes.   Keep in mind that Ancient Greek demigods built their careers battling oversized hogs, cattle and cats.  Call them mutant products of weird science and stampede them in your players' direction.  Ditto sea creatures.  I've got a penguin that stands two heads taller than 28 mm.  Obviously a were-penguin!

Yeah, I tend to keep an eye out for such things - I find that charity/thrift shops can yield some cool stuff.

18 hours ago, yronimoswhateley said:

Oh, I hadn't realized the Bones Kickstarter 4 was still open for last-minute orders!  Some things to note about the Kickstarters:

🙂

The Reaper KS has finished - I was talking about the CMON one.  Thanks for pointing me in their direction, though - I'm certainly looking at their stuff as some of it is lurking in online shops at a reasonable price (I found the Mythos Bones 3 box for £40)

17 hours ago, MrHandy said:

Mansions of Madness comes with a good selection of Cthulhu Mythos minis, both investigators and monsters. Their bases also allow you to slide in monster tokens, and the ones from Arkham and Eldritch Horror are the same size. In addition, there are official Arkham Horror minis from Fantasy Flight Games. They may be some of the same sculpts as in Mansions of Madness.

Yeah, that was one of my early thoughts - it was nice to seem them do this, but unfortunate for me, that they made the 1st edition still useful if you got the 2nd edition.  I will keep an eye out for a cheaper 2nd hand copy, though.

11 hours ago, JanothanSmall said:

Not sure how up to date it is but this list seems pretty comprehensive to me.

Thanks for that, I shall investigate it further

3 hours ago, mvincent said:

My favorites are:

• Pre-painted:
    • Arkham horror prepainted
    • Pathfinder minis (Ythians, Mi-go, etc.)
    • Heroclix (lots of 'normal' people are available, inexpensively, which I rebase)
  • Unpainted:
    • Cthulhu Wars
    • Mansions of Madness

The FFG ones are nice, but bloody expensive and mostly out of stock, now.  I'm wondering if they will re-release them if the rumoured 2nd ed AH is announced, though - I'd be surprised if they'd miss the opportunity to do so.  Esp as ones like the complete investigator set which can be used in AH, EH and the AH:LCG.

I've currently got a spreadsheet I've put together with all the EH monsters I've got and it's, erm, rather large, hehe.

DrMonster

Heh, those '70s monsters look like Gamera foes to me.  I used to have some robot-shaped erasers that were perfect for menacing player-characters.  Not sure what happened to them.

Tony Williams
12 hours ago, PoC said:

Wow... that’s a Rust Monster!

Well well.

And a bulette on the lower right.

yronimoswhateley

"There once was an unknown company in Hong Kong that made a bag of weird animal-things that were then sold in what once were called dime stores or variety stores for like $.99.... Gary [Gygax] and I talked about how hard it was to find monster figures, and how one day he came upon this bag of weird beasts…He nearly ran home, eager as a kid to get home and open his baseball cards. Then he proceeded to invent the carrion crawler, umber hulk, rust monster and purple worm, all based on those silly plastic figures. The one that I chose was known in the Greyhawk campaign as 'the bullet' (because of its shape)...."
- Dragon Magazine Editor Tim Kask

I take it the red guy with the mandibles near the top became an early version of the D&D Troglodyte; there's a bunch not shown in the photo I posted, including a dead ringer for the original Owlbear and one that's a little less like the Umber Hulk.  Supposedly, the set that Gygax had found included monsters that would become the Carrion Crawler and Purple Worm, but I don't remember anything like those in the set I had and have never seen anything that fits those descriptions anywhere, so I suspect those came from somewhere else.

According to Kask in various quotes I've seen, 'the bullet' was given a fancy, French-sounding name for publishing (as "the Bulette"), along with a description inspired by a Saturday Night Live skit ("Land-Shark", in which the world's smartest shark goes door-to-door looking for victims) and Kask's cornfield-country-inspired nightmares about giant, burrowing, armored monsters chasing panicked riders on horseback through sunny seas of grass....  You could get a lot of imagination out of a cheap dime-store toy back in those days!  :)

Sorry, MadHalfling - I don't mean to hijack your discussion, I had a lot of fun discovering the history of fantasy gaming miniatures, and couldn't resist sharing! 

I've been a backer for the CMON kickstarter for a few weeks now - that's what killed my gaming budget for the year, but I really couldn't resist adding the monsters, cultists, and investigators to my small collection of Cthulhu monster minis.

MrHandy
12 hours ago, MadHalfling said:

The FFG ones are nice, but bloody expensive and mostly out of stock, now.  I'm wondering if they will re-release them if the rumoured 2nd ed AH is announced, though - I'd be surprised if they'd miss the opportunity to do so.  Esp as ones like the complete investigator set which can be used in AH, EH and the AH:LCG.

You can still find a bunch of them for sale here, and with a 15% discount on retail. They were actually on sale even cheaper not too long ago, but there are still some left.

Nick Storm

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?board=7.0

[Link to the Call of Cthulhu minis section on the Lead Adventure Forum.]

MadHalfling
9 hours ago, yronimoswhateley said:

Sorry, MadHalfling - I don't mean to hijack your discussion, I had a lot of fun discovering the history of fantasy gaming miniatures, and couldn't resist sharing! 

I've been a backer for the CMON kickstarter for a few weeks now - that's what killed my gaming budget for the year, but I really couldn't resist adding the monsters, cultists, and investigators to my small collection of Cthulhu monster minis.

No problem, I'm finding it just as interesting - I always enjoy seeing the origins of things.

I think I'm passing on the CMON project as I've found a couple of boxes that give a lot of the monsters a fair bit cheaper - I'm not sure about the investigators, I might look to get some together in dribs and drabs, or to see if FFG produce another set (though I suspect they might be a bit expensive).

9 hours ago, MrHandy said:

You can still find a bunch of them for sale here, and with a 15% discount on retail. They were actually on sale even cheaper not too long ago, but there are still some left.

Thanks, it's just a pain that's over in the USA - I think I've looked at buying stuff from CSI before but the shipping to the UK is rather expensive.

I found the Reaper Bones 3 Mythos Box here for forty quid, which isn't too bad

https://www.mightylancergames.co.uk/products/77958-bones-3-mythos-expansion-set-boxed-set

And the also have a Dire Penguin, which I just had to get

https://www.mightylancergames.co.uk/products/03870-dire-penguin

Tony Williams
12 hours ago, yronimoswhateley said:

I take it the red guy with the mandibles near the top became an early version of the D&D Troglodyte

Wouldn't he be the umber hulk ( they have mandibles in the 1st Edition Monster Manual picture ) ?

This is fascinating I never knew some of the MM monsters originated from crappy plastic figures.

MadHalfling

I also found the Fate Of The Elder Gods expansion, which has 11 monster minis in it and seems OK for 15 quid delivered:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XB35J66/

GQ don't seem to have it on their website so I guess you have to get it from Amazon.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now