GetTheeToABrewery

What exactly is J. Vernon Shea's "The Snouted Thing" and what makes it a posthumous collaboration?

GetTheeToABrewery

The only description I've ever found for this elusive short story is that it is a "posthumous collaboration" between Shea and Lovecraft (an appropriate description, considering both of them were dead by the time of its 1989 publication), but nothing more specific than that. What exactly is the story? I know that, in addition to August Derleth's notorious work on The Lurker at the Threshold and "The Lamp of Alhazred" (the rest of their so-called collaborations being written entirely by Derleth), other hands have taken it upon themselves to complete some of Lovecraft's prose fragments, including "The Book" (Martin Warnes), "The Descendant" (Lin Carter), and the pseudo-fragment "The Thing in the Moonlight" (Brian Lumley). By process of elimination, that would suggest that "The Snouted Thing" is either based on "Azathoth", "Collapsing Cosmoses", or some nonfiction extract by Lovecraft such as a dream description from one of his letters. Or I'm completely off-base and it's something entirely different. Which is it?

Ningauble
On 13/07/2018 at 23:28, GetTheeToABrewery said:

By process of elimination, that would suggest that "The Snouted Thing" is either based on "Azathoth", "Collapsing Cosmoses", or some nonfiction extract by Lovecraft such as a dream description from one of his letters. Or I'm completely off-base and it's something entirely different. Which is it?

It is indeed based on a dream by Lovecraft. I have not yet read his letters to Shea, but the dream is described in HPL's letter to Robert Bloch dated "[c. 22 August 1933]" by Joshi & Schultz in Letters to Robert Bloch and Others (p. 67). The letter also appears in Selected Letters IV (p. 242) and is there dated to "(circa September 1933)".

I haven't compared the text of the story against that of the letter(s) involved, but it seems that the intro was lifted from HPL's letter, and Shea wrote the rest.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now