PoC

Call of Cthulhu Starter Set

JoeKenobi

MOL Tribute is in Le Havre now, but coming from Southampton, where it arrived on 11/29 (see "Port Calls"). My guess is the Starter Sets are in the UK, being processed by customs.

Xin Qing Dao arrived in Melbourne on 11/20.

Hyundai Voyager arrived in Tacoma on 11/26. OOCL Miami arrived in Long Beach on 11/21.

Looks to me like it's down to how long UK customs takes to deliver the sets to Chaosium. But end of this week or early next seems reasonable.

nclarke

Chaosoium normally goes live with a product when it's in all three warehouses so it looks like the UK shipment is the last and so holding up the release worldwide until the palettes get delivered to Kixto.

yronimoswhateley

I'll be pleasantly surprised to see this in time for Christmas, but I am really looking forward to this - I know a couple people this would make a great gift for (starting with myself, I'm a sucker for boxed RPG sets!)

MOB

There will be Launch Parties for the new CALL OF CTHULHU STARTER SET at FLGSs across Australia later this month, thanks to our friends at Good Games. Come along, play Call of Cthulhu and win prizes!

Details at the link: https://www.goodgames.com.au/au/news/15-gaming-events/368-the-stars-are-right-at-good-games.html

SCREEN---Call-of-Cthulhu-RPG-Starter-Box-Launch-Party.thumb.png.cc47253a32d56d196c5a3497dcc02eb2.png

(We're planning release parties in the US and Europe in the early new year too; details forthcoming.)

pretendobject
29 minutes ago, MOB said:

(We're planning release parties in the US and Europe in the early new year too; details forthcoming.)

I'm in the US so I will be eagerly awaiting more information!

larare

2019 release then?

MOB
9 minutes ago, larare said:

2019 release then?

Launch parties in US and UK are being planned for early in the new year ("Start the new year with the Call of Cthulhu Starter Set"). Actual product release will be later this month.

rmeints

The Starter Sets are in the US warehouse now. The UK warehouse looks like Monday delivery now.

JoeKenobi
On 07/12/2018 at 21:53, rmeints said:

The Starter Sets are in the US warehouse now. The UK warehouse looks like Monday delivery now.

That's great! Any idea what sort of a turnaround to expect before these things are available for order? (I have a half-full cart at Chaosium to which I'm planning to add this before I check out...)

rmeints

In all likelihood we will start taking orders on our website this week. We will be sure to announce it.

DadsAngry

It's to bad these didn't come out sooner. These would make great gifts for Toys for Tots.

Rayven

A Coc Launch party!!!!! I wish I could go.....but I live in the US. :P We don't get cool events like this. (Sarcasm is thick here please don't post lash me. :S) It sounds like a lot of fun though.

MOB

A World of Mystery, Horror and Adventure in a Box!

This Starter Box contains everything you need to start playing Call of Cthulhu: available now from Chaosium.com - $USD$24.99

https://www.chaosium.com/call-of-cthulhu-starter-set

The #CallOfCthulhu Starter Box contains everything you need to start playing Call of Cthulhu—the tabletop #rpg of mystery and horror.

INSIDE THIS BOX
—Book 1: Introduction and Alone Against The Flames—a solo introductory adventure, teaching you the basics of Call of Cthulhu as you play through a mystery.
—Book 2: Call of Cthulhu Starter Rules—the essential rules, everything needed for starting play.
—Book 3: Adventures—three starter adventures for your players to explore.
—Ready to Play Investigators—five ready to play game characters.
—Blank Investigator Sheets—ready for creating your own investigators.
—Roleplaying Dice – a set of six polyhedral dice for use in the game.
—Player Handouts – a set of ready to use props.

ADVENTURES!
This box comes packed with four classic adventures for over twenty hours of game play.
—Alone Against The Flames
—Paper Chase
—Edge of Darkness
—Dead Man Stomp

CHA23158-Starterbox-3D_-_small__44660.1544113066_500_659.jpg.1689012be482ae58856c1ad0174182e8.jpg

willmize

Purchased! Thank you all for this!

- Bill

Tlalchitonatiuh

Also purchased. Thank you for the consistent updates.  

yronimoswhateley

Also purchased!

I've given the PDFs a quick look, and compared the new "Edge of Darkness" side-by-side with the 5th Edition version; this is no copy-and-paste job, the scenarios were definitely given a thorough rewrite (almost certainly just for this set - I suspect the 6th Edition version wasn't very different from 5th), giving the scenario a beautiful, modern production and expanding "Edge..." from 8 pages to roughly 40 (including the Player Handouts, and not including the pre-gen characters), with the new content including the nice new handouts, several gorgeous new illustrations, as well as some walk-throughs on basic rules for new keepers, additional descriptions, notes, and background information, etc., all designed with attention to detail for usability for new groups and keepers. 

As I previously noticed for the side-by-side comparison of the updated version of "The Haunting", "Edge of Darkness" hasn't changed much mechanically, but the scenario has been extensively rewritten to improve its user-friendliness, no doubt based on years of additional playtesting and experience.  I bet the mechanical differences between the 8-page 5th and 40-page 7th edition "Edge of Darkness" could be summarized on half a page, with the majority of the new text being dedicated to professionally-created handouts and illustrations, new descriptive text and other details for things that were left out of the older version, as well as a little tutorial content (such as suggestions for how to handle missed clues or pushed rolls), and it looks like most (if not all) the other scenarios got a similar rewrite.

I think that keepers who have not yet made the leap to 7th Edition would still enjoy this boxed set, if for no other reason than the inclusion of such handy, edition-agnostic touches as the addition of all of the great new handouts, maps, and illustrations, and some of the expanded background information, new flavor text, and additional NPCs and other resources. 

I can't wait to see the rest of this starter set in person - great work, Chaosium!  :)

JustAnotherDeepOne

I've got a weakness for these boxed starter sets. Would you recommend this even if I already had a copy of the Keeper Rulebook?

Phillip

I have pre-ordered from Chaosium's web site - they will dispatch from their UK hub so low postage and no issues with HMRC - and have downloaded the pdfs.  Extremely good production values from these pdfs and looking forward to using it soon.

yronimoswhateley
16 hours ago, JustAnotherDeepOne said:

I've got a weakness for these boxed starter sets. Would you recommend this even if I already had a copy of the Keeper Rulebook?

It's up to you.  I couldn't recommend it if you need the ~$30 US to feed your kids with or pay the rent or whatever.  If you could afford only one and you're uncertain whether playing the full game will be for you, the starter might have been a better product to start and test-drive the game with; otherwise, the Keeper Rulebook is probably better for the long-haul; if you could afford only one and you've got the Keeper Rulebook, then I'm sure you're just fine. 

If you could afford both, I see no reason not to get both:  they complement each other quite nicely, and I'm glad I got both.

My impression of the contents, as someone who already owns two different editions of the Keeper rulebook:

Spoiler

I also have a weakness for these boxed starter sets, and i backed the 7th Ed Kickstarter after owning the 5th Edition book for years, so I've got two Keeper rulebooks, and definitely got the Starter Set, and also a print version of the free 7th Ed. Quickstart book which, containing "The Haunting", seemed like a nice match for the Starter Set, which all together seem like a great match for the 7th Edition Keeper rulebook, player handbook, Keeper's Screen, and all the great scenario books that shipped with the 7th Edition Kickstarter.

The Starter set includes a stripped-down rule book, along with a solo scenario ("Alone Against the Flames", choose-your-own-adventure style), and three scenarios for one to several players (these are intended to start out with a one-on-one game with a friend, then run a scenario with a couple players, then with several players, but I'm sure the scenarios will work out just fine if all three were run through with 2-4 players!)  The three multi-player scenarios are, I think, worth the price of admission if you don't already have them ("Paper Chase", "Edge of Darkness", and "Dead Man Stomp"), all of which are well-respected scenarios that appeared in earlier editions of the Keeper's Rulebook, but were replaced with new (and still excellent) scenarios in 7th Edition; if you've missed them in earlier editions, this Starter Set is a great place to get them, updated for 7th Edition!  I've already got the 5th Edition version of these scenarios, but the updated and rewritten 7th Edition versions in the boxed set are still welcome:  they're a wonderful update to the originals, complete with handouts, etc. that you would have had to make yourself back in 5th Edition.

Keepers from earlier editions might still find this boxed set a nice addition to their collection, just for the updated and more user-friendly scenarios, along with some great handouts and such; Keepers preferring earlier editions of the rules can simply use the stats from the Keeper's rulebook for their chosen edition as a reference, though I think most will find the conversion to earlier edition rules easy enough to perform ad-hoc.

The mini-Rulebook is a nice bonus if you already have the Keeper's book:  the basic rules can be found in this booklet (and the basic rules are the ones you'll be using most often anyway - it's not like you need the chase rules every day or anything like that, so this booklet is great for a basic reference!)  With some basic investigator creation rules, this booklet is also a nice loaner to the players during character creation, so you don't have them all fighting over, say, your deluxe leatherette edition of the Keeper's rulebook!  :)    So this booklet looks like it'll be a handy resource to keep around, and between the basic rules booklet and the scenarios alone, I feel like I got a pretty good value; these are also available in a less expensive PDF format if that's all you're interested in, too.

Based on what I've seen of the previews, the box itself is great - maybe not something that will excite every keeper, but it's cool for collectors, and I, at least, am excited about the whole set!  The pre-gen and blank character sheets are also a nice bonus - not necessarily needed, but certainly convenient and nice to have.  If you've been around pen-and-paper RPGs very long, you've already got dice, but I've never seen a role-player who complained about getting more of them, and the set that comes with the box seem like a solid and inoffensive set to me.

Overall, it looks like a nice boxed set based on the PDFs and the previews posted earlier in this thread, and the little bit of duplication between this and the main Keeper Rulebook doesn't seem to me like it detracts from the usefulness of both products, while the major difference - the scenarios - seem to me like they're worth the price by themselves.  As long as you can afford both, I think you'll be happy having both, just for the updated popular scenarios, and the rest is icing on that cake.

MOB

The CALL OF CTHULHU STARTER SET is now available at DriveThruRPG in PDF too: 

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/260810/Call-of-Cthulhu-Starter-Set

[Moderator comments may only be removed by Moderators. ~Mod.]

(The physical boxed set + PDF is available from Chaosium.com)

The CALL OF CTHULHU STARTER SET Launch Parties at Good Games Stores across Australia this week were lots of fun and well-attended! If your local FLGS doesn't stock it, ask them to!

20181211_184332.thumb.jpg.5391012c71be7e5a4339904cb372918c.jpg

20181211_184511.thumb.jpg.2c6dbd68f277ac32e39970332f70ff33.jpg

To coincide with the launch of the CALL OF CTHULHU STARTER EDITION, we've also created a new video series introducing the game.

Specifically pitched to newcomers to roleplaying games and Call of Cthulhu, these short (2 - 3 minutes) videos cover basic topics including "What is an RPG?" and "What is Call of Cthulhu?" Instalments we'll release shortly include "How to Play", "The Starter Set", and "What Next?". Here's Part One:

The video series features Jess, an actor, dancer, gamer, and friend of Chaosium from Melbourne, Australia, and later some of her friends, around the gaming table. You can see more of Jess's performing arts work here:

https://www.starnow.com.au/jessicamartin55

In the second video of our new intro series to coincide with the Starter Set, Jess explains exactly what Call of Cthulhu is...

logoi

Could anyone please let me know if the changes to Dead Man Stomp are substantial and make it perhaps more fun to run for the Keeper? That alone would make me buy the new starter. Knowing that Chris Spivey worked on it tells a lot, but would rather hear it from people who have seen it up close. Thanks in advance. 

Phillip

Received my starter set today.

Overall very impressed - only thing is would have been better if book covers were of a higher gsm.

DrMonster

Re:  the cover.  Why are the investigators just standing there as slimy tentacles grope for them?  Fly, you fools!

MarkMorrison

@logoi, Dead Man Stomp is largely as it was, albeit with fantastic new art, maps, 7e and the excellent new material from Chris, which really grounds it in Harlem.

yronimoswhateley

And in addition to what MarkMorrison said, I can confirm that "Dead Man Stomp" 7E for the most part is no copy-and-paste job:  it looks like at least the introductory part has been rewritten from the ground up (updated to the 7th Edition standards, and follows the 7th Edition scenario organization).  As near as I can tell, the guts of the scenario is essentially the same regarding the details, clues, characters, locations, etc., with some additional content added to account for more investigator options, along with additional clarifications seem to have been added, and new tips and advice for keepers (for example, the section on what might happen when investigators investigate the night of the first incident has expanded from 5 paragraphs in 5th Edition, to about 14 or 15 paragraphs in 7th Edition, mostly with new options, information, and advice added to the original content).  The handouts also were completely updated, there are a couple more handouts/play aids (e.g., maps) that I've never seen before, and there are loads of great new illustrations, with everything well-organized and easy to work with - the handouts appear in-line near the part of the scenario that describes them, and they also appear in a separate handouts package (the PDF actually includes two sets of the handouts, in addition to the ones in the keeper book:  one suitable for players, the other appears to be a Keeper reference - the maps in the player's version are unlabeled while the Keeper reference has labels, for example). 

Note that I've never seen 6th Edition - I'm assuming not much changed between 5.6.1 and 6th.

I couldn't say whether this will be easier for keepers or not - I'm not sure what troubles you might have had with the older version, and I've never run this scenario myself, but at a glance, both versions seem pretty well-written and reasonably well-organized, and quite functional as scenarios.  The new version is much more complete and perhaps better-organized, and to me would get the edge in my preferences, especially for a new keeper (the new version takes a lot of the improv and guesswork out of running the scenario; for some keepers, that would be unnecessary, but I'm sure inexperienced keepers will appreciate the difference as an improvement; meanwhile, I would imagine the improved illustrations, maps, and handouts are an improvement no matter who you are, as well as the lighter and more manageable booklet format, and the option of printing some or all of the PDF version for highlighting, notes, edits, etc.)

As for the investigators on the cover, I've been rather enjoying them:  they appear in different illustrations on a couple of the booklets, too, and in almost every case they are stumbling carelessly upon some nest of tentacles or another... but then, there's one booklet cover picture where they're shown fleeing from a tentacle monster in a blind panic, and I couldn't help laughing gleefully at it - there's a vague, undefined region somewhere between comedy and horror, and that picture sits right there in that wonderful grey area!  I guess we can think of them as our clueless mascots for the starter edition:  inexperienced investigators who needed a little time to learn the rules, before they figured out that sitting around pointing at tentacle monsters like tourists and scratching their heads might not be the best strategy for dealing with that particular situation.  I like it :D

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now