Sign in to follow this  
hamster

Fear's Kickstarter - Fear's Sharp Little Needles, adventures for Call of Cthulhu

hamster

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but we've got a new Stygian Fox kickstarter......

AdamAlexander

I backed it. The Things We Leave Behind is outstanding and I expect the same with this project.

Karloff

Speaking as a contributor, I hope all backers enjoy the finished product!

Badger

Speaking as a contributor, I hope all backers enjoy the finished product!

Me too! :)  We're already funded, and closing in on the second stretch goal. Woot!

-=badger

rylehNC

20 scenario ideas?! Grand, indeed.

Graham
20 scenario ideas?! Grand, indeed.

As long as they avoid the mistakes of Minions

neorxnawang

As long as they avoid the mistakes of Minions

Short answer: I've got this (Jeff Moeller)

Slightly longer answer: The entire writing crew is good. Most are veterans, a couple of new authors who did very well. I gave the crew mine (Separation Anxiety) as a template to absorb and insisted that there be gameplay (which was a problem with Minions). People complained about the word limit (3K) but everyone managed. Although only one is much less than 3K (and its one of the most twisted ones, I finished editing it yesterday). Most of them end with a decision having to be made, which is a core way to do a one-nighter. Lead up to one decision. 

Also, these are mean. See The Things We Leave Behind for our idea of mean.

Even longer answer: Several of the scenarios are map driven, which effectively expands the content enclosed in each. Mine, for example, leads you to a self-pick apple farm. If you do your research, you go in better prepared to survive. You explore the horrors of the farm for a while (yeah, it's one of "those" farms, and there's a map) and then you have to make a decision. The one I just got done editing is all about one decision, and again, if the investigators do their homework, they're more likely to make a good one. In some ways I want people to be able to hate a scenario but think, I hate that idea, but the cult is cool and I sure can use the map of the creepy farm, funeral home, sleep lab, bioresearch facility, abandoned amusement park, nursing home, walk in phlebotomy lab (those are several examples of ones in the book). That's what I want from a one nighter book.

I should also add that the book is going to have one long scenario that I'm doing.

MonkeyPrime

Sounds awesome, think I'm persuaded to back!

Chitin

Fully funded, closing in on its 7th Stretch Goal, and ending in 2 days. So very excited for this "sequel" to The Things We Leave Behind, cause I'm sure Stygian will keep the quality stuff coming.

Backed! Last time didn't have resources, but this time I'm in!

MonkeyPrime

Massively excited for this as I've been persuaded to start a RPG group in work for my young people and short snappy adventures will work well for them. May have to pick and choose a bit which ones we do but the dream would be for them to run some of them!

sasori

I'm not usually a Modern player/Keeper, but I listened to the editor of this collection on the MUP, and I'm convinced that there should be some nice scenarios here which run at a different pace than what i am used to, just to mix things up a bit!

Xipuloxx

I nearly forgot about this! Glad I had this thread to remind me, thanks. :)

As it happens, I missed out on The Things We Leave Behind first time round, so I've taken the opportunity to get it as well. Both books in hardback and PDF plus all those lovely little extras for £68. Bargain!

sasori

Finally went in for the pdf. Can't justify the shelf space these days. Not without courting divorce! ;)

Chitin

If divorce were to happen, would it result in more or less shelf space for you?

HomoLupusDomesticus

Not normally into Cthulhu Modern but I went in for the softcover.

PoC

This Kickstarter raised £36,914/£5,000 from 1,137 backers.

neorxnawang

By way of FYI, Stygian Fox's Fear's Sharp Little Needles was released to backers only in a 0.9 PDF this morning. We are collecting proofreading feedback on the KS and expect it to be out in full blown 1.0 shortly, followed by the physical book in a few weeks (typical rpgnow.com issues doubtlessly will have to be sorted). And yes, there actually are 26 scenarios in the book: 25 3K word one-nighters and a big, long one more like what was in TTWLB. 

The fact is that neither Steph nor I are particularly well. I'm able to work but it's a struggle. I'll leave Steph to chronicle her own health issues but I believe they're worse than mine. We do the best we can within our respective health limitations. Anyway, feedback initially is positive, and if you're a backer, check your email, download it, and flyspeck it. Thanks.

Also, Aspirations (the backer add on with a campaign framework, 4 more short scenarios and 4 items of miscellaneous interest) is in layout.

numtini

This is really nice. They're very short and concise and would be just as easy to work into a campaign as a palate cleanser as they would be for one shots. Some can be retro-fitted to the 1920s without much difficulty at all--others not so much.  I've liked SF's other previous two, but this one is going to really get a lot of use.

PoC

Now on general sale at DriveThruRPG.

Fear's Sharp Little Needles is an anthology of 26 one-night modern day scenarios for the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game.

Taking its inspirational cues from Delta Green, X-Files, The Ritual, Mandy, and True Detective, the book takes a mature look at the horror of human nature and its ability to be just as disturbing as anything from the Mythos with blood and its inhuman uses as its theme. 

The scenarios deal with unavoidable fates, dark secrets, and seriously bad choices made by the antagonists. As so often is the case, there are no winners when fate has trapped you in a dice game for doom or destiny. As such, please be aware that some of the themes are very mature and are suitable for adult gamers only. Please take care, as a Keeper, that your group is suitable for these adventures.

Fear's Sharp Little Needles (PDF, $20 USD)