Yog-Sothothery Newsletter Read more... ×
Travern

Stygian Fox sale at DriveThruRPG

Travern

For the next three days, DriveThruRPG is holding a sale on Stygian Fox's titles, including their Call of Cthulhu offerings:

The Things We Leave Behind—$11.21, marked down from $14.95

Hudson & Brand, Inquiry Agents of the Obscure—$11.21, marked down from $14.95

In addition, The Book of Contemporary Magical Things is discounted to $11.24 from $14.99

runepriest

Should be noted....only the PDF versions are discounted.

FnordChan
9 hours ago, runepriest said:

Should be noted....only the PDF versions are discounted.

It looks like the physical copies have now also been discounted, with a free copy of the PDF bundled in.  For example, the color hardcover of Hudson & Brand is $38 (down from $50) and the B&W hardcover of The Things We Leave Behind is $34 (down from $45), so that's about a 25% discount on each.  Travern, thank you very much for the heads up about this sale!

willmize

It looks like the above links are affiliate links.  Who gets the income from those links?  
Is it Ol' Yoggie or the original poster?

If it's the original poster, is that within Yog-Sothoth guidelines?

Clarity/transparency is always good.

- Bill

PoC

The affiliate links are to YSDC's DriveThruRPG account, @Travern very kindly asked if he could use them on our behalf when purchasing and posting about things (thank you sir).

YSDC guidelines are simply - use any affiliate links you like. Your own, others - absolutely fine!

Travern

I learned about DriveThruRPG's affiliate program only recently, after seeing it on some RPG blog or another , or I would have asked if YSDC had one sooner.  For the record, I have no ties to DriveThruRPG—I'm just a very satisfied customer of their PDFs (and inveterate bargain-hunter).

willmize
15 minutes ago, PoC said:

The affiliate links are to YSDC's DriveThruRPG account, @Travern very kindly asked if he could use them on our behalf when purchasing and posting about things (thank you sir).

YSDC guidelines are simply - use any affiliate links you like. Your own, others - absolutely fine!

I love everything about this!
And yes, thank you @Travern for helping Paul keep the lights on here!

Oh, and thank you for showing exquisite taste (Stygian Fox) and being a cheapskate (Stygian Fox ON SALE) :)

- Bill

Travern
4 minutes ago, willmize said:

Oh, and thank you for showing exquisite taste (Stygian Fox) and being a cheapskate (Stygian Fox ON SALE) :)

You're welcome. As a total cheapsake, as well as a fallen marketing guy, I can only admire the way DriveThroughRPG appeals to this with their periodic bargains.  Not only do their daily one-day discounts ensure I compulsively check the site, but their special sales also keep me following up on their deal page.  For instance, DriveThroughRPG's running a GURPS sale* in conjunction with Steve Jackson Games's Warehouse 23 web store through June 22 (I've happily purchased assorted titles through the latter, but the convenience of the former as a one-stop shop is hard to beat).

* Of potential interest for Yoggies is GURPS Horror 3rd edition by Ken Hite and GURPS Classic: Monsters.

P.S. For any curious, the YSDC affiliate code is 5769, which shows up as "?affiliate_id=5769" in the regular URL from DTRPG.

willmize

The only GURPS I own is "Atomic Horror" because one of these days, I'm going to have the 1950's Giant Bug Flying Saucer Rock and Roll Vampire Nuclear Peril campaign that I desire.

- Bill

Travern

45 minutes ago, willmize said:

The only GURPS I own is "Atomic Horror" because one of these days, I'm going to have the 1950's Giant Bug Flying Saucer Rock and Roll Vampire Nuclear Peril campaign that I desire.

That's on sale, too.

I'm surprised by the number of GURPS books I own, considering I'm confident I'll never play the rules system.  As gaming resources, though, they're reliably solidly written and organized, and they explore all the ludic possibilities of their given topics.  (Converting GURPS to BRP is feasible but, unsurprisingly, requires a bit of number crunching.)

willmize
1 minute ago, Travern said:

As gaming resources, though, they're reliably solidly written and organized, and they explore all the ludic possibilities of their given topics.

This, this, a MILLION TIMES this. 

Folks I know have every GURPS sourcebook ever written, but will never ever play it.

They're just so dang good as resources.

- Bill

yronimoswhateley
1 hour ago, willmize said:

- Bill

Ha - great stuff! 

I keep trying to sell others on the 1950s and early 1960s as an alternative to the Jazz Age, with the era's science fiction, horror, and fantasy "B" movies in particular being the Rock'n'Roll age's equivalent to pulp horror, but nobody seems to want touch it - I guess I'm entirely the wrong spokesman for it.

But, between the plots of stuff like "The Forbidden Planet", "The Thing from Another World", "IT: The Terror from Beyond Space", the Quatermass movies, early Doctor Who, "Village of the Damned", "Day of the Triffids", "Invaders from Mars", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", "The Haunting", "Thirteen Ghosts", "House on Haunted Hill", "Twilight Zone", "The Outer Limits", "The Last Man on Earth", "Night of the Living Dead", anything handled by the likes of Ray Bradbury, Hugh Beaumont, Richard Matheson, Nigel Kneale, and John Wyndham, and the whole Film Noir genre, there's just tons of great stuff to work with!

I'm flat broke at the moment, but now I'm half tempted to sell some blood to graverobbers from outer space so I can buy a copy of that "Atomic Horror" book...

willmize
25 minutes ago, yronimoswhateley said:

The Forbidden Planet", "The Thing from Another World", "IT: The Terror from Beyond Space", the Quatermass movies, early Doctor Who, "Village of the Damned", "Day of the Triffids", "Invaders from Mars", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", "The Haunting", "Thirteen Ghosts", "House on Haunted Hill", "Twilight Zone", "The Outer Limits", "The Last Man on Earth", "Night of the Living Dead", anything handled by the likes of Ray Bradbury, Hugh Beaumont, Richard Matheson, Nigel Kneale, and John Wyndham, and the whole Film Noir genre, there's just tons of great stuff to work with!

You are preaching to the choir!
I grew up with Universal Horrors and American International, Hammer, etc, and really fell in love with the look of the 1950's. Our local horror host, Dr. Paul Bearer, showed two of them, every Saturday from noon to 4!

I briefly got into MST3k, but after a while I thought that I liked the movies better without snarky meanness and just went back to watching them sans robots.

If you really want to dig deep into this kind of stuff, please join us over at the Classic Horror Film Board.

We started on AOL back in the 80's/90's and have been going strong ever since!

The 1950's section is really good.

- Bill