fluffy

Board Game Geek and Sandy Petersen

fluffy

Does anyone know the gossip about Sandy being banned from BGG?

fluffy

Wow!

PoC

- but then he went back, and is posting there again.

fluffy

Excellent, thanks

dce

Interesting ... I wasn't aware of this particular furore back in Sep. Not really sure what to make of it.

Thankfully there haven't been any similar flamewars affecting Lovecraftian RPGs (as far as I know); perhaps due to some of the big players having very active pro-inclusiveness policies (see: Pelgrane Press, Chaosium's "Women in Gaming" interview series). I am personally happy that those kinds of arguments are far away from our (small) community.

Dean (from Adelaide).

yronimoswhateley

I feel for Sandy Petersen - I've been in that sort of position before, where I open my big, socially-awkward mouth, refer to something that seemed harmless enough at the moment in a very loose metaphor without realizing the connection to some sort of Serious Business or another, and wake up the next morning to find that not only have I inserted my foot in my big mouth, but now I'm surrounded by people, each more outraged than the last, wanting to stick THEIR feet in my mouth, and calling for my death in the worst ways they can think of and trying to imply things about my personality, philosophy, religion, etc. that just don't exist, and there's absolutely nothing I can say that won't be further fuel for being taken out of context in some bizarre way as evidence that I'm even worse than anyone thought.

I hope Sandy's not getting hassled too badly for that whole thing and that it doesn't interfere with his ability to design great games - I don't know very much about his other work, but to me the Call of Cthulhu RPG by default always seemed remarkably inclusive, limited only by the imaginations of the individual groups playing the game.

I also appreciate YSDC's moderation and their ability to proactively stamp out potential fires before they get out of hand - I have a tendency to miss the warning signs of such discussions and wade deeply into them before I realize something's wrong, kudos to the staff here for being much better at recognizing a discussion that's going off the rails and either steering it back to sanity, or shutting it down of it seems hopeless.  That can be a really thankless job sometimes, so here's my late "thank you for the moderation!"

willmize

How weird is THIS?

I've never heard of this little drama, but then again, I am old and can usually be found outside, standing in my front yard, yelling at clouds.

Just to get things in their proper order.

Here's the BGG pushback, quoting Sandy's forum post.  Which is just a big fat mess, even for someone who states that he is completely devoid of misogyny.

Here's Sandy flipping the table and rage quitting BGG forever. FOREVER. I assume the "warriors" he is speaking about are the "Social Justice Warriors", who are, no doubt, out to get him. Or, barring that, at least making him explain hisself.  It's Wednesday, September 6, 2017.

And here's where we find out that forever isn't actually that long of a time; a little more than two months (Wednesday, November 15, 2017), just in time to announce a new game that he's putting out!

Good times, good times.

- Bill

PoC

Drama on other sites thankfully remain other sites' problems.

As well all know, the internet can sometimes make reactions too quick and too harsh.  🙁 Put people together in a room and that behaviour often changes. I very much try to imagine I'm sitting next to the person I'm talking (typing) to. (Hopefully) much more civilised!

(...and thank you for the kind words @yronimoswhateley - all the mods. appreciate them.)

willmize
2 hours ago, PoC said:

Drama on other sites thankfully remain other sites' problems.

Ol' Yoggie definitely remains an oasis of kindness and helpfulness.

If there are any disagreements, they are usually civil and, when they are over, everyone has tea.

Thank you, and your staff, for everything y'all do, Paul.

- Bill

Jiminy

I have it on good authority that the worst dispute on Yoggie ran something like this:

Horatio: "Good gracious, you clumsily spilt your tea all over my suit and I am due imminently at the formal dinner!"

Adam: "Why so I did old chap - dreadfully sorry, what?"

Horatio: "Indeed. Think nothing of it."

Adam: "Here, take my spare waistcoat and britches. Keep them as recompense."

Horatio: "No, no, no, my dear fellow. I could not possibly accept them."

Adam: "But I insist."

Horatio: "Very well, but I will ensure that my man valets and returns them tomorrow evening at the latest."

Adam: "As you wish."

Horatio "I am forever in your debt, sir! What would I have done if you were not here?"

PoC

Your sources do you credit sir! 😉

WinstonP

Well, we get a curse put on us once... the inefficacy of which the site’s impending 20th anniversary is strongly suggestive of... ;)

carpocratian

The lack of drama and politics is one of the things I love about this site, and a big part of why I no longer read several other rpg discussion sites.  I love polite, civilized discussion.

willmize

I've always felt that one should focus on, and talk about what you LOVE (like Call of C'thulhu) as opposed to what you hate.

Hating stuff is boring.

I've always felt that everyone here, even thought they might disagree (SOMETIMES I THINK THEY JUST WANT AN EXCUSE TO HAVE TEA), they all come from a love of RPG gaming and CoC in particular.

I mean, remember when we were all together back in the dark days before 7th edition? :)

- Bill

MorganBlackhand

He'll say it's just "humor". And if someone says he's being offensive, he has the usual reaction: He throws a tantrum, makes some noise and plays the victim. That's what happened on BGG.
I like his work, but the man has internalized mysogyny so much he can't even see it. But he can't hide it.

P.S.: I'm not trying to start a flame war here, people.

PoC

No worries. No one thinks you're trying to start a flame war. 🙂 They're stamped out fairly quickly (and people do have different views on things and other people).

Having met Sandy a number of times it's certainly not an aspect I personally recognise. I found him always to be a generous, kind (and indeed humorous) gentleman, considerate to others. I admit to not having followed the ins-and-outs of such internet drama (it's not on our web site), but I know that there can be a significant difference between behaviour at the keyboard and behaviour away from it (I'm sure we've all experienced that over the years).

I'm not making excuses or apologising for him (for whatever), but I did want to say I've always found Sandy a gent in real life.

That is all.

[Various views have been expressed here (in a very cordial manner - *thank you*) but I think this thread has now run its course.]