Sign in to follow this  
notsogreatoldone

Need some input for a scenario set during the Spanish Civil War

notsogreatoldone

So I'm thinking for  revising an old idea I had for a scenario, set on the eve of the the Battle of Belchite, in  the Aragon region of Spain, in 1937, with the idea of perhaps submitting the scenario to the Mikastonic Repository.

So the scenario takes place in the days ahead of the doomed  Republican offensive, in the area behind  Republican lines.

The original idea was that the Investigators (1-2, no more than 3) would be attached to the Republican military intelligence (perhaps even  be Soviet  COMINTERN agents).

Would it better though to make the characters:

--Foreign volunteers with one of the International Brigades.

--Foreign war correspondents.

The original premise is that some Nationalist troops were discovered, and captured, digging  on a  hillside, overlooking one of the offensive's main assembly areas, miles ahead of their own lines, and that it has to be discovered what exactly were they doing there.

Is the setting an ideological minefield? Or shouldn't it be a non-issue for mature gamers?

Travern

Would it better though to make the characters:

--Foreign volunteers with one of the International Brigades.

--Foreign war correspondents.

That's probably the best approach, particularly since it allows for more flexible PC backgrounds, with less ideological rigidity and moral compromise. (If the PCs were expected to be Soviet COMINTERN agents, by then they were thoroughly penetrated by Beria's murderous NKVD, who had orders straight from Stalin to purge the Republican ranks of Trotskyites, superseding actually fighting Franco's fascists.)

Ric

You could adapt the GRU special section from the Delta Green mythology. A Soviet operative is actually a GRU agent in deep cover. This way he or she can have some Mythos exposure in the background. 

eternalchampion

I would agree with both ideas above. Also, if you don't want to have an GRU agent as another player, maybe one of the foreign volunteers can have an occult background so some insight could be provided.

I would also go for the "non-issue for mature gamers" choice.

So... what do the nationalists mine for, I suppose not only for ideas..?

Dante7

Not really a real answer to your question, but might I recommend watching Guillermo del Toro's "The Devil's Backbone" for period horror inspiration?

notsogreatoldone

Not really a real answer to your question, but might I recommend watching Guillermo del Toro's "The Devil's Backbone" for period horror inspiration?

Seen it, and 'Pan's Labyrinth' of course. I would like see del Toro revisit this period and setting, it seems to bring out his best work.

I've decided to go with the Investigator's being journalists: less ideological freight, and a greater freedom of action for the players. I can then make the intelligence officer a major complication; a paranoiac spymaster looking for counter-revolutionaries in the ranks.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this