willmize

Delta Green RPG - A new system not a supplement

willmize

[split from Masks 2018 thread.]

On 22/05/2018 at 18:07, jlynn said:

That's perfectly reasonable, and I too would dearly love to see some of the French and German books translated (I simply can't get my head around French, and my German is as rusty as hell).  On the other hand, I'd also LOVE to see them dust off Shadows of Yog Sothoth, for example, and re-issue that one with a nice hefty update!

*ahem* (Like Horrors of War?) :-(

Ha ha ha!
No, I didn't back "Horrors of War", I just like holding MOB and Chaosium's feet to the fire occasionally.
Right now I'm waiting for "Delta Green", "This Defiant Earth", "Prince Valiant" and "Pendragon". 
The first one has turned into a rather good investment, considering I pledged for a single hardcover, and I'm getting two hardcovers in a nice slipcase :)

- Bill

jlynn

Alas, I did back it.

But apparently Chaosium is now holding the author's feet to the fire and he *promises* we will have it by the 100th anniversary of the END of the war (he launched the Kickstarter on the 100th anniversary of its beginning) -- that is, by 11 November 2018, only three and a half years later than originally promised.  We shall see.

I wish I'd backed Delta Green, but money was tight at the time, and I skipped it since I'm more a "classical era" kind of guy anyway...

willmize

I wish I'd backed Delta Green, but money was tight at the time, and I skipped it since I'm more a "classical era" kind of guy anyway...

Because sometimes the details elude me, I thought I was backing a Call of C'thulhu supplement, like the original Delta Green, and not AN ENTIRELY NEW SYSTEM.

It bums me out slightly, but at the end of the day it's a quality piece of work that will look very nice on my meager little gaming bookshelf.

- Bill

jlynn

That was another reason (though a minor one) as to why I didn't back it.  At this point in my life, I have two or three "go-to" RPG systems that I play, and frankly, learning yet another one simply didn't rack up my enthusiasm much.  But from what I've heard, it's going to be a great game!

willmize

That was another reason (though a minor one) as to why I didn't back it.  At this point in my life, I have two or three "go-to" RPG systems that I play, and frankly, learning yet another one simply didn't rack up my enthusiasm much.  But from what I've heard, it's going to be a great game!

Totally agree!

I'm a CoC (BRP), and FATE Accelerated kind of guy these days.

I guess I'll add Delta Green to that to get me up to three Go To systems.

I trust Shane and Dennis and the crew to put together something wonderful. 

It's popular as gangbusters, that's for sure.

- Bill

WinstonP

The new Delta Green system is readily comparable with 6th Ed of Call of Cthulhu (which is of course easily converted to 7E, of course).

willmize

The new Delta Green system is readily comparable with 6th Ed of Call of Cthulhu (which is of course easily converted to 7E, of course).

SIXTH EDITION?!

What are we? Farmers?

I shall have my manservant do the times 5's for me, as I am weary :)

- Bill

numtini

I was a late backer. I like some of the things they've done with skill consolidation, lethality is better than volleys for automatic fire, and I really like the sanity stuff. Overall though, I prefer the flow of 7E combat to DG. Opposed rolls, impales, major wounds and con saves to stay alive long enough to get first aid, etc. 

On compatibility, I can't imagine it wouldn't be possible for any GM to pick up a scenario statted for DG and run it in 7E without any work ahead of time or vice versa. The bigger problem is trying to run both systems and keeping them straight. I'm in a Sunday Call game and a Thursday DG game and there are just enough differences that forget which set of rules applies where, particularly on little things like checking a skill for success/COC or failure/DG or not noticing I rolled a crit in DG where it's doubles rather than low rolls. Or maybe I'm just getting old and soft in the head.

yronimoswhateley

I regret that I didn't see this thread sooner - I agree with numtini:  I've not played it yet, but I did back it an got to read the manual, and that's my impression of Delta Green compatibility as well.

In fact, Delta Green looked a bit more like a different edition of CoC to me, than a different RPG.  The differences between any two editions of That Famous Fantasy RPG since at least 1989 have been bigger than the differences between Delta Green and any BRP CoC edition I've seen up to and including 7th Edition CoC (or the differences between 1st and 7th edition CoC, for that matter!)

PoC

An unboxing video of the slipcased set.

Ric

I must confess there are so many variants of the d100 family now (CoC, Pulp Cthulhu, WWC, Gaslight, Raiders of R'lyeh, Delta Green, Legend, Renaissance, the various CoC Keepers and Investigators supplements) each of them with really good ideas and features - not to mention some really great concepts in the Gumshoe suite (Trail, FoDG, NBA, even the Esoterrorists) that I am seriously reconsidering rewriting the entire game system. To date I have simply bolted on house rules - as do most Keepers - but they are increasingly becoming unwieldly and baroquely complex.

Travern

Arc Dream's Delta Green line cleaned up at the ENnie Awards last night.  Delta Green: The RPG won gold awards for Best Production Values and Best Rules and silver awards for Best Game and Product of the Year, and the scenario collection A Night at the Opera won a gold for Best Electronic Book and a silver for Best Adventure.

kod

Well deserved.  It's the best BRP derived ruleset I've read.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now