WaynePeters

'Children of the Field' British rural gothic horror miniatures

WaynePeters

It occured to me this morning that this might be of interest to Cthulhu players.

Crooked Dice, makers of 7TV - a miniatures skirmish game based on classic 60's and 70's adventure TV and movies - currently have a kickstarter for an Whicker Man style expansion called Children of the Field. Some great cultist figures as well as animated scarecrows and sinister looking Morris Dancers and masked villagers. It's almost over but I'm certain the miniatures will be available to purchase from their store afterwards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1039850061/children-of-the-fields-folk-horror-28mm-miniatures

Wayne

PS - whilst this wasn't intended to promote the Kickstarter, apologies if it should have gone in Market Place instead. :/

post-5538-0-63149500-1526293280_thumb.jpeg

HJ

Crooked Dice make some excellent minis, though how they haven't been sued for copyright infringement I don't know.

sasori

By getting close to what they wish to emulate, but changing key features.

They used to have a great many Doctor Who minis with other names, but they all got taken down when another company bought the rights and actually started making 32mm Doctor Who minis.

yronimoswhateley

I gotta say, this particular line of miniatures looks like it is exactly my (unashamedly tacky) taste in horror miniatures and games - I especially like those fantastic cultists, the miller and his wife, the "hurdy-gurdy man", creepy kids, villagers in animal masks, the mummers and May dancers, and the giant wicker-monster and scarecrows.

It's probably a good thing I don't buy metal miniatures anymore (too heavy, fragile, and expensive) - this Kickstarter is a big temptation for me!

Mysterioso

There was another miniatures line by another company called Geezers!, referencing UK cop shows, that, if the scale meshed, would truly enable some astounding 1970s games to be put on. 

johnmcfloss

Some of these are Wonderful. Worst time of the month for me to consider throwing anything at it, but those masked villagers, Mister Mangle and the Mast Beasts are Beautful

Mysterioso

Are the hunting dogs with human faces a reference to a film or television program? 

Travern

Although I'm not a miniatures person when it comes to gaming, this mash-up of The Wicker Man and Children of the Stones and Children of the Damned and a nightmare version of Worzel Gummidge, etc. etc. rather intrigues me.  The "Programme Guide" write-up would be just the thing to mine for a rural gothic/neo-pagan horror CoC setting.

By the way, Crooked Dice offers a free PDF pamphlet of the 1st edition 7TV version

Product Description said:

Children of the Fields PDF

The green and pleasant land is not always pleasant, the Children of the Fields PDF lets you bring rural magician Lady Sylvia Winterly and her cult of nature into 7TV. From the distracting May Queens to the brutal Corn Doll Mr Mangel, you’re in for a big surprise!

Travern
On 15/05/2018 at 14:25, Mysterioso said:

Are the hunting dogs with human faces a reference to a film or television program?

The name "Gabriel Hound" that Crooked Dice uses is the English one for the "spectral hound" that is part of Wild Hunt mythology, c.f. Yeth Hounds (Devon), Retchets (Somerset), Cŵn Annwn/"Hounds of Annwn" (Wales).  The addition of a human face doesn't seem to be part of any of these legends, though.  (European legends tend to feature humans with dogs' heads as monsters, not the other way around.)  If anything, it reminds me of the alien human-dog hybrid from the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Mysterioso
On 15/05/2018 at 17:08, Travern said:

The name "Gabriel Hound" that Crooked Dice uses is the English one for the "spectral hound" that is part of Wild Hunt mythology...

Thanks!