PoC

GDPR Compliance

PoC

I'm sure I'm far from the only one whose email inbox has recently been overflowing with GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliance notices from many, many web sites.

As we did with the 2015 EU regulations on download services, we'll be complying with new EU regulations (as in theory should every web site on the planet that has EU visitors). We're currently working on full compliance by the 25th May. In the meantime, there's a few things worth noting relating to YSDC and the GDPR.

1. To my recollection we've never really used a mailing list system except for a small and select group, YSDC Patrons, (the Innsmouth Inquirer newsletter). Internet marketers have always said "you must" but our lack of one at least makes things a little easier for us in this case. There will be one more Innsmouth Inquirer edition going out before the May deadline and then the newsletter will be retired in its current form. Any future newsletters will be opt-in only (you've always been able to opt-out very easily - but that's not enough to comply with GDPR).
  2. Closed accounts have been erased or anonymised and details changed so they are no longer identifiable.
  3. If you are below the age of 16, under the GDPR you cannot have an account on YSDC anymore. If you are younger than 16 please contact me about your account.
  4. We'll be updating the site software in the near future which will feature easier implementation and administration of GDPR compliance.
  5. In the meantime I would encourage you to visit your Notification Options and revise them as you see fit (I realise that currently this is a "halfway house" manoeuvre until we can properly implement GDPR requirements).

ysdc-notifications-5g-screenshot.jpg

Thank you for your understanding. We do take your privacy seriously (as recent editions of The Cthulhu Breakfast Club and News from Pnakotus will attest) and we're working on getting full compliance in place.

Cheers.

PoC

GDPR comes into effect tomorrow (Friday 25th). As a result of a recent software release we've got a major site update in plan for next weekend (2nd-3rd June) that should bring us inline with GDPR requirements.

How do we then square the intervening time between the 25th May and 3rd June? For the first time in 15 years we'll be suspending new registrations during that week. Not something we want to do but needs must it seems. Fortunately:

1. Viewing/searching the forums and many, many site downloads do not require an account.
  2. We're not taking Yoggie offline (or closing it permanently because of GDPR like Cubicle 7 did with their forums today).

Again apologies for any inconvenience caused. It should be temporary and hopefully understandable because of these new regulations.

rsanford

Just curious what kind of those do you have to do  (or the new software has to do) to support GDPR? Is it going to mean a hassle for you in the future or is it mostly a software fix and it is done?

willmize

I, for one, welcome our overseeing, eavesdropping, all-knowing Yog-Sothothian Overlords!

- Bill

PoC
On 24/05/2018 at 18:33, rsanford said:

Is it going to mean a hassle for you in the future or is it mostly a software fix and it is done?

Its a continuing thing. The software update just makes it easier to administrate. For further information on GDPR also see:

https://www.eugdpr.org/

On 24/05/2018 at 18:42, willmize said:

I, for one, welcome our overseeing, eavesdropping, all-knowing Yog-Sothothian Overlords!

The best way to know people, is to talk to them. Which is why I like forums. :-)

PoC

Now we're in line with GDPR requirements I've re-initialised our site newsletter function - and we're starting from scratch - the default for everyone is "off".

If you would like to receive any newsletters we send out then be logged in and find the sign-up box on the right hand side of the forum or [Activity] pages.

Anything we send out should be no more than monthly - so not a high intensity list.😉