hamster

New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley 2nd Edition

willmize

Steph, Badger and all the various miscreants over at Stygian Fox have popped out another kick-ass Kickstarter.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.

"New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley" 2nd Edition.

- Bill

Chitin
On 26/04/2018 at 21:06, hamster said:

I’m not gonna be backing this one as I have the original, but if you haven’t....

I've got it too, but that 7th scenario...must have it.... Don't know why, but I'm a sucker for scenarios. 

crazy_cat

Steph, Badger and all the various miscreants over at Stygian Fox have popped out another kick-ass Kickstarter.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.

I know I want it, and I know I'd be much keener to back it if they had delivered the near year overdue Fears Sharp Little Needles.

Chitin

I know I want it, and I know I'd be much keener to back it if they had delivered the near year overdue Fears Sharp Little Needles.

For whatever it's worth, I've seen a pdf of FSLN and it really is only waiting on a couple maps (I think two, but I just saw that Stephanie finished another one, so I think it's just one more to go and then off to Chaosium for approval, then proof copies and whatnot before going out to backers.

And for New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley, they've knocked out all the original stretch goals and then added two more (lots more maps if they're achieved)...so looking forward to all the new maps (full color of Dunwich, Arkham, and Foxfield coming up next, then Innsmouth and Kingsport after that, all done by Jon Gibbons). 

Travern
On 28/04/2018 at 16:12, willmize said:

They're knocking down Stretch Goals left and right.

With nine hours to go, this project has achieved all their stretch goals: pre-generated PCs, a PDF of poster images for their excellent art, NPC mini-character sheets, a tourist guide pamphlet, maps for locales from multiple eras, professional-quality handouts, and full-color maps for Lovecraft Country, Arkham, Dunwich, Foxfield, Innsmouth, and Kingsport, plus bonus pay for writers and artists.

crazy_cat
On 11/05/2018 at 19:28, Chitin said:

For whatever it's worth, I've seen a pdf of FSLN and it really is only waiting on a couple maps (I think two, but I just saw that Stephanie finished another one, so I think it's just one more to go and then off to Chaosium for approval, then proof copies and whatnot before going out to backers.

And for New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley, they've knocked out all the original stretch goals and then added two more (lots more maps if they're achieved)...so looking forward to all the new maps (full color of Dunwich, Arkham, and Foxfield coming up next, then Innsmouth and Kingsport after that, all done by Jon Gibbons).

Don't worry on my behalf - I gave in and backed ages ago!

I'm just trying to mentally compartmentalise it now as a KS that I just know is going to be late so I don't stress and get worked up about it.

We'll see how that works out.

willmize

I'm just trying to mentally compartmentalize it now as a KS that I just know is going to be late so I don't stress and get worked up about it.

We'll see how that works out.

Yeah, welcome to my world.

I ultimately decided NOT to back this one, and just wait for the retail/POD release.

In the beginning I treated KS as a store, and it most assuredly is NOT a store, as I would not be waiting over 2 or more years for some products if it were a store.

I love me some Stygian Fox, but there are too many variables and too much waiting and hitting F5 for more information for my old nerves to handle.

KS is a hard drug to kick. 

- Bill

PoC
On 31/05/2018 at 20:03, willmize said:

KS is a hard drug to kick.

It gets easier.

These days I tend to back the person rather than the project. I’m supporting their efforts rather than the product they’re planning to make. While Kickstarter clearly states it’s not a shop, an issue I often have is that many Kickstarters present and couch themselves in just those kinds of terms.

crazy_cat
On 31/05/2018 at 21:27, PoC said:

It gets easier.

I'm trying to wean myself off just backing shiny KS's for RPGs and minis because 'new shiny' and 'oooh, exciting I must have..' - but it's a one step at a time, and sometimes two or three steps back, process.

I'm quite pleased with myself (and slightly smug and self righteous I suspect) currently that this is my only active and backed 'live' KS in funding, so I must have resisted backing so much I tell myself - but then I look at the dozen plus I'm waiting on, many overdue and a not insignificant number of those being Cthulhu related, and have to go and do some breathing exercises to calm down.

As I said 'We'll see how that works out'. :8E:

TacoBill

Sadly, I've lowered my Kickstarter expectations to never expect anything to come in on time.  

Travern

My attitude toward Kickstarter book projects is that it's not a pre-order but instead a crowd-funded version of the standard author advance that a publisher would pay.  The big difference is that a publisher has a binding contract with an author, though in the industry the non-delivery clause is more rarely invoked than failed Kickstarters.

That said, I'm fairly fastidious about the projects I back, and I look for established authors with proven track records and projects with properly defined specifics.  Stygian Fox, though not perfect, has performed reliably enough that revising/updating a pre-existing work should be well within their capabilities (and the stretch goals are compartmentalized and shouldn't affect the writing schedule—the bane of a lot of Kickstarters).

Anyway, I'm down for ten quid.

carpocratian

Sadly, I've lowered my Kickstarter expectations to never expect anything to come in on time.  

Me, too.

These days I generally won't back an rpg Kickstarter project unless all or most of the writing has already been done and they just need money for professional editing, art, book production, etc.  That's even true of companies with proven track records.  If they need the money to do the writing, I just wait for it to become available commercially.

willmize

I'm trying to wean myself off just backing shiny KS's for RPGs and minis because 'new shiny' and 'oooh, exciting I must have..'

...many overdue and a not insignificant number of those being Cthulhu related, and have to go and do some breathing exercises to calm down.

I think we need to start a 12 Step program for Kickstarter addiction :)

My new rule is that I can't do any more kickstarters until the ones I am waiting on - all RPGs - have come in.

This should do wonders for my bank account and my patience level.

It's a golden time to be a TTRPG player, and an expensive one.  I get caught up in the "OOH new!  Shiny!"  and hit that pledge button almost on instinct. 

Then, after a few days, I calm down, look rationally at it, and know I'll never end up playing it (non-CoC/ToC/FATE RPGs) and hit the cancel pledge button.

I agree that the Stygian Fox folks put out good work, and have had their challenges in the past, but I have great confidence in them for pretty much anything they put together.

I'll still support them, after it's released, because hey my money is just as good then as it is now.

Besides, I'm still waiting on their "The Wild Hunt".

- Bill

Badger

My attitude toward Kickstarter book projects is that it's not a pre-order but instead a crowd-funded version of the standard author advance that a publisher would pay.

I wish more people on Kickstarter shared your attitude. It's disheartening sometimes to see so many folks treating Kickstarter as a pre-order service, when it never was intended to play that sort of role.

crazy_cat: FSLN is nearly done. I had a shedload of corrections to do (thanks, Chitin!), and I'm awaiting two more maps. We'll be ready to release the .pdf in a week or two, and head off to the printers shortly after that.

Meanwhile, I got together the original manuscript for New Tales (long story, but it was difficult to get our hands on, since it was originally in the hands of Doc Herber), and that's been sent off for revamping and 7th edition system updating. I'll be working on page templates for the book shortly.

Cheers,

-=Badger

Travern
On 02/06/2018 at 00:11, Badger said:

I wish more people on Kickstarter shared your attitude. It's disheartening sometimes to see so many folks treating Kickstarter as a pre-order service, when it never was intended to play that sort of role.

Kickstarter themselves stated early on Kickstarter Is Not a Store.  But their problem is that even though their model is designed to ramp up excitement and maximize anticipation during the initial campaign, they haven't figured out, or, frankly, paid much attention to, the details of balancing that with updates about development progress and the fulfilment of finalized projects.  In book publishing, authors will have a clear idea of not only the date of delivery of a final, acceptable MS, but also the subsequent production stages necessary to turn out a physical book.  And if they miss deadlines or fail to respond to check-ins, they'll have their editors and agents on their cases (with a binding contract to back them up). No such system exists for Kickstarter once the campaign is over, yet that's when 99% of the frustration kicks in.

That said, I'm looking forward to this re-issue/re-vamp, in part because it's a comparatively conservative project.  Still, regular updates would be immensely appreciated, even brief ones.  (There may be hiccups due to the Curse of Cthulhu Kickstarters, and in Kickstarter's case, no news is bad news.)

Many thanks for putting together this project, congratulations on a highly successful Kickstarter campaign, and here's hoping it goes smoothly!

PoC
On 02/06/2018 at 04:40, Travern said:

Kickstarter themselves stated early on Kickstarter Is Not a Store.  But their problem is that even though their model is designed to ramp up excitement and maximize anticipation during the initial campaign, they haven't figured out, or, frankly, paid much attention to, the details of balancing that with updates about development progress and the fulfilment of finalized projects.

...by that point Kickstarter have already got their cut. Job done. The more hype and revenue generated, the more immediate profit for them - regardless whether the project ultimately succeeds or fails. If KS was about helping people achieve their creative goals through to completion they would offer support after the crowdfunding phase, but they don't.

Kickstarter is simply a funding platform, rather than an actual development platform, so always caveat emptor!