PoC

Dark Adventure Radio Theatre: Masks of Nyarlathotep

Afraid of the dark

Well the Masks of Nyarlathotep Super Deluxe Edition prop set has been announced. The question I'd ask, and I'll ask it here rather than clag them up with messages, is,.. when they say

"THIS PRODUCT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT NOON PACIFIC TIME, OCTOBER 8" 

Noon pacific where? 

The one thing I was expecting, was some rubber stamps for the passports rather than use the stickers. Perhaps a product for the future? I might contact them about that when the dust settles. 

jlynn

I thought "Pacific Time" was the actual name of a Time Zone (see this Wikipedia article)...

PoC
1 hour ago, Afraid of the dark said:

I thought the announcement post for the Masks of Nyarlathotep Super Deluxe Edition would be on the other thread...

The post is here because it relates specifically to the Dark Adventure Radio Theatre audio drama adaptation and not the Masks of Nyarlathotep Call of Cthulhu RPG campaign supplement. The HPLHS Masks of Nyarlathotep Gamer Prop Set is for the Call of Cthulhu RPG supplement and so that is in the other RPG-related thread (at least that's where Sean of the HPLHS posted it).

[Edit: To help avoid confusion I've now separated the Gamer Prop Set discussion into its own thread.]

Essentially the HPLHS DART Masks of Nyarlathotep (audio drama) and the HPLHS Gamer Prop Set (RPG) are different things - which understandably might be confusing (and has been for some).

AIEEE

Phew, I can breathe a sigh of relief.

I was dreading the unspeakable urge to purchase the Super Deluxe Set and endure the nightmarish pain of international shipping, but, now the contents are revealed, I can suppress that eldritch pull.

Since I've keeping up with Delphes' prop Kickstarters (assuming there's no problems going ahead with them, which seems pretty unlikely given how smoothly everything's gone so far), the only props I'll be "missing" are the Ceremonial Robes (which I honestly could do without), the Statue of the Bloated Woman and the scroll (which may turn up when Delphes does Australia and Shanghai), and the Token of Bast's Regard. I also backed Type40's KS, so I should be getting my hands on the Carlyle Expedition Journal.

I'd be all over this if I wasn't already mostly covered for Masks props, and my wallet is eternally grateful. Now I can go ahead and get the Gamer Prop Set! And some spare Nansen passports! And the DART episodes I'm missing...

RogerBW
7 hours ago, jlynn said:

I thought "Pacific Time" was the actual name of a Time Zone (see this Wikipedia article)...

Yup, let's see if my countdown widgety thing works here:

[It works, but no constantly animated GIFs please i.e. minutes – fine, seconds – nooooot so much. Ta! ~Mod.]

Afraid of the dark

Noon Pacific, I'm clearly showing my lack of education there. Homer Simpson eat your heart out!

As for the Deluxe set, I wasn't confused, but then got confused! I effectively didn't understand, but thought I did. When I messaged HPLHS they referred to the The DART, DART Deluxe and the Super Deluxe. I'd assumed that the Super Deluxe was a gamer prop set that they were doing. I got this from the title on the item pages, as only two mentioned DART in the title. So my assumption (an incorrect one) was that there was a DART radio show, also a Deluxe version of that and that there would be the Gamer prop set, and also a Deluxe version of that as well (which is what I was after). This is why I asked after ink stamps for the passports. I've effectively been talking on cross purposes, in fact dual reality has occurred! Instead there are three versions of the radio show, The DART, DART Deluxe and the 'DART' Super Deluxe. As is, the radio show, DART, has the extra props, some of which could be used for gamers, but the set is actually designed with the single listener in mind. Now I get it, I got there eventually, and thank you all for your patience.

shoggothsean

At long last, our Super Deluxe Limited Edition Masks of Nyarlathotep prop set will be available for pre-order in about ten minutes. We will be making 99 sets. That's it. We did change a few things along the way, so we encourage people to read the page description. Thanks to the Yoggie community for all its enthusiasm.

PoC

For those curious about the cost of shipping of the Super Deluxe - to the UK for example (excluding import duties)...

Cheapest: £59

Most expensive: £412

Dark Adventure Radio Theatre: Masks of Nyarlathotep Super Deluxe Edition Contents.

Image Source: HPLHS

Maccabeus

The stars have finally aligned -- and post-production must be nearly complete! I just got my link to download the MP3 files. Shipping for the actual product will doubtless follow soon. 

PoC

Glad to see it's out!

CTPhipps

Just started listening to this and am now two discs in.

This is AMAZING.

A great adaptation of the module.

numtini

Oh good! Someone else is actually listening. It's really fantastic. I really enjoyed their Day of the Beast adaptation as well.

The L Is For Lithium!

CTPhipps
3 hours ago, numtini said:

Oh good! Someone else is actually listening. It's really fantastic. I really enjoyed their Day of the Beast adaptation as well.

The L Is For Lithium!

The commercials are hilarious and the narrator sounds a lot like JK Simmons.

I love the characters as well and they're really entertaining Pulp heroes and heroines.

Alas I'm less familiar with the Day of the Beast.

Maccabeus
6 hours ago, numtini said:

The L Is For Lithium!

Oh, yes. I'm listening also, and having a blast decoding the secret messages for the various sections of each chapter. I'm just now four discs/chapters in. It's everything we've come to expect from the @HPLHS and more!

So far, my favorite commercial has been for the completely safe, fireproof, soft & cuddly, asbestos-filled Fluffkin brand teddy bears. 

CTPhipps

I like some of the changes for the campaign and will be incorporating them into my running of the game beginning this week.

Rayven

Cuddly asbestos-filled Flufkin brand teaddy bears?..... I'm missing so much!!!!!

I have not yet even started my Dark Radio Adventure collection but its on my to do list taxes willing of course. :S

UrsusMaior

I received a notification my sets - prop set and radio show set - are on their way.

Denis

I've just started listening to this. Quite enjoying myself! I'm following on the read-along and just noticed there is a Paul Fricker character! Nice touch! I'm so overwhelmed by all this.

UrsusMaior

My sets, DART play and the prop set, arrived this week. Awesome material! Thank you so much!

CTPhipps

Well, I'm almost finished with MASKS OF NYARLATHOTEP and I have got to say it is an amazingly entertaining work. It's cheesy as hell in certain places but it's also very well-done and the voice acting as well as characters are all in the highest traditions of gaming fun. I love Hazel Califan, Victoria Woodhull, Zeke, and Cecil in their globetrotting adventure to save the world.

The use of 7th Edition was probably a good decision as we do get nods to the racism and colonialism as well as stereotypes of the period. Surprisingly, though, for a PULP-ish homage from start to finish--the characters aren't particularly Pulpy. They barely manage to survive the vast majority of their encounters with the Mythos and the body count is actually fairly high. They create numerous "Mauve Shirt" characters (see TVtropes.org) in order to make the sudden deaths of characters all the more shocking.

The treatment of the story is somewhat streamlined and they skip over some of the stories in England like the Serpent Man paintings or the cursed Werewolf Girl--but that's not a bad thing necessarily. I also really enjoyed the Australia part.

Really, the whole story incorporates a lot of humor too and it's great to hear that element despite it being a "horror" story. In addition to the zany commercials, it's clear the protagonists are not particularly GOOD Investigators and way over their head. Their period-appropriate snark and back and forth sniping works well and reminds me of my own table. No matter how scary I try to be, my players inevitably defuse the tension somehow.

I actually kind of regret that we won't be able to experience these characters in another game somewhere.

I did a TV tropes page, though I suppose I should probably create a separate RADIO entry.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/CallOfCthulhuMasksOfNyarlathotep

Taavi

Does the digital edition include any digital downloads of documents/props/etc?

CTPhipps
1 hour ago, Taavi said:

Does the digital edition include any digital downloads of documents/props/etc?

Alas no.

Just the radio play.

shoggothsean

We're delighted to hear that you people are receiving these and have been enjoying the show. It was written with Call of Cthulhu players in mind.

We're continuing to ship them out as as fast as we can make them. We anticipate ALL preorders of the Standard Edition will be shipped within a week or so, all Deluxes within two weeks and then we'll get all the Super Deluxes on their way.

CTPhipps
10 hours ago, shoggothsean said:

We're continuing to ship them out as as fast as we can make them. We anticipate ALL preorders of the Standard Edition will be shipped within a week or so, all Deluxes within two weeks and then we'll get all the Super Deluxes on their way.

I bought a copy for Seth Skorkowsky of Call of Cthulhu review fame.

He's excited to listen to these.

Denis
On 05/02/2019 at 17:32, shoggothsean said:

We're delighted to hear that you people are receiving these and have been enjoying the show. It was written with Call of Cthulhu players in mind.

I just received my Dark Adventure Decoder badge, and I must say I'm having way too much fun with it! I'll have to re-listen to the chapters I already listened to in order to get the clues. There goes another evening! :) 

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now