PoC

Dark Adventure Radio Theatre: Masks of Nyarlathotep

PoC

In a widely expected move, the HPLHS have announced that their next Dark Adventure Radio Theatre Call of Cthulhu campaign audio adaptation will be Chaosium's Masks of Nyarlathotep.

hplhs-masks-nyarlathotep-audio-drama.jpg

Due out this summer around the same time as the print edition of the new CoC7e version of Masks, i.e. for Gen Con - early August. The HPLHS refuse to be drawn as to whether there will also be a deluxe edition (as with 2016's DART: Brotherhood of the Beast). I'm sure it would be jolly nice if there was.

No details on pricing yet but Masks is a big campaign to adapt, especially with the rumours of what's in Chaosium's new 2018 edition.

mvincent

Looking forward to this! I loved their Brotherhood of the Beast edition. If HPLHS doesn't do deluxe handouts, it would likely be because Chaosium themselves has plans there (I'm guessing that's why the "Props of Nyarlathotep" Kickstarters couldn't do paper handouts either).

PoC

That's an intriguing observation. It will be interesting to see how things develop over the next couple of months.

Mysterioso
On 05/04/2018 at 19:39, mvincent said:

Looking forward to this! I loved their Brotherhood of the Beast edition. If HPLHS doesn't do deluxe handouts, it would likely be because Chaosium themselves has plans there (I'm guessing that's why the "Props of Nyarlathotep" Kickstarters couldn't do paper handouts either).

Wasn't BotB was based off of an earlier version of the campaign? If so, hopefully the same will be done with MoN and thus allow a deluxe edition.

cjearkham
On 05/04/2018 at 19:39, mvincent said:

If HPLHS doesn't do deluxe handouts, it would likely be because Chaosium themselves has plans there (I'm guessing that's why the "Props of Nyarlathotep" Kickstarters couldn't do paper handouts either).

I thought Delphes didn't do paper props because she's a sculptor and was playing to her strengths. I don't see anything on the Kickstarter saying they couldn't do paper props. (Unless it was mentioned in one of the comments, which I didn't wade through.) In fact, there are a couple of paper props in the set, in the form of luggage labels and business cards.

PoC

I've just been talking to the fine folks at the HPLHS and they've confirmed they've been working closely with Chaosium to base the DART adaptation on the new 2018 edition of Masks of Nyarlathotep.

mvincent

I thought Delphes didn't do paper props because she's a sculptor and was playing to her strengths. I don't see anything on the Kickstarter saying they couldn't do paper props. (Unless it was mentioned in one of the comments, which I didn't wade through.) In fact, there are a couple of paper props in the set, in the form of luggage labels and business cards.

From update #54 (of her HotOE KS, in reference to her MoN KS): "We discovered recently that the scope of our license doesn't allow us to propose a pledge level for a paper kit on this project in any way, shape of form. We can only propose one or two paper handouts as stretch goals"

PoC

The HPLHS have started talking about the props side of things.

Brace yourself for a mammoth prop collection to enhance your gaming and listening alike!

PoC

Games Vs Play have done an interview with Sean Branney of the HPLHS about the upcoming DART: Masks of Nyarlathotep adaptation.

http://gamesvsplay.com/people-profile-14-sean-branney-co-founder-of-the-h-p-lovecraft-historical-society/

I'm planning an audio interview with Sean and Andrew about the project closer to release, the GvP interview answers several of those questions now. (I'll endeavour to come up with some others nearer the time. ;-))

PoC

An article's just been posted on the Tabletop Gaming web site about this 20th DART.

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/call-of-cthulhu-rpg-campaign-masks-of-nyarlathotep-being-turned-into

In essence:

• To be recorded soon.
  • It will be more than six hours long.
  • Digital, CD and Deluxe releases planned.

DART: Masks of Nyarlathotep will come with some 120 props and the limited edition deluxe release will have even more.

No price points have been announced yet.

Eudaimic

So excite.

post-2-0-50972300-1525531741_thumb.jpg

numtini

I'm listening to Brotherhood in the car on the way to work and it's amazing. A game scenario lends itself almost perfectly to the "radio drama" genre, in ways that the adaptations of Lovecrafts stories fall a bit short.* I can't even imagine how great MON is going to be.

*Meaning the radio theater adaptations, their straight out audiobook of Lovecraft's works is out of the park good.

PoC

The HPLHS have just put out a teaser poster for the upcoming adaptation.

hplhs-dart-mon-teaser-poster.jpg

In this case, the HPLHS have gone the Akhenaten rather than Josh Brolin route in terms of illustration.

http://www.hplhs.org/dartmon.php

Currently listed options:

• 6 CD Set with Prop Documents
  • Deluxe Edition
  • Super Deluxe Limited Edition Collection
  • MP3 Download

shoggothsean

Actually, folks here might be interested to know that we're offering a Gamer Prop Set for Masks of Nyarlathotep. It contains ALL of the prop documents that Chaosium provides for the game as highly realistic HPLHS-style props. It's about 120 items or so.

We'll also offer a limited edition super deluxe set that will include all of the Gamer props, all of the props unique to the radio play plus a very special collection of artifacts from the show. This collection of goodies includes items made by prop makers around the world. It will be very nice, of this I have no doubt.

AdamAlexander

Any news on when pre-orders will start?

PoC
On 16/05/2018 at 01:13, shoggothsean said:

We'll also offer a limited edition super deluxe set that will include all of the Gamer props, all of the props unique to the radio play plus a very special collection of artifacts from the show. This collection of goodies includes items made by prop makers around the world. It will be very nice, of this I have no doubt.

Considering The Angell Box is $1,000 USD these days, I wonder how much the Super Deluxe Limited Edition will be?

Place your bets! :-)

sasori

That's quite a reasonable price. I'm hanging off on ordering anything, as there are other props available with the radio theatre, and they seem to not be included in the gamers pack. I want to see what price the combined package comes in at before making a decision.

PoC

I've just seen that the "Standard Edition" will be $70 USD (for the six CD set).

mijero

I kinda wish the radio show was included in with the gamer prop set. Still waiting to see how much the "super-duper" deluxe version is going to set me back before I settle on the gamer set + standard edition...

Shrike
1 hour ago, mijero said:

I kinda wish the radio show was included in with the gamer prop set. Still waiting to see how much the "super-duper" deluxe version is going to set me back before I settle on the gamer set + standard edition...

The radio show is a completely different product from the gamer prop set. Why would you expect them to be bundled together?

I'd expect the super deluxe set to be priced similarly to the famed Angell Box. 

mijero
1 hour ago, Shrike said:

The radio show is a completely different product from the gamer prop set. Why would you expect them to be bundled together?

I'd expect the super deluxe set to be priced similarly to the famed Angell Box. 

I never expected a bundle, but from a completely selfish standpoint I wish the two products I were interested in were bundled together.

Pricing of the deluxe set similar to the Angell box would seem apropos.

wrieder66

Masks of Nyarlathotep - Super Deluxe Limited Edition - "Each set is crated up and numbered as part of a limited edition set of 50. It's the ultimate Mask of Nyarlathotep collector's set. "

Numbered edition of 50? Yeah, that's not going to be cheap.

Dr_Zarnak

That was fast: It appears both Deluxe editions are no longer available ("Sold Out"). 

Shrike
16 minutes ago, Dr_Zarnak said:

That was fast: It appears both Deluxe editions are no longer available ("Sold Out"). 

I think that's because they are not yet available for pre-order.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now