Sign in to follow this  
Talmor

Best VTT for Beyond the Mountains of Madness?

Talmor

Hey guys,

I'm looking to be starting up a play of Beyond the Mountains of Madness in a few months, and I hope to run this over a Virtual Table Top. My "goto" has been Roll20, but I'm not sure if it's really the best one out there. I know that Fantasy Grounds has an add-on module specifically for CoC. Is this a better option?

Basically, I want to make the VTT as painless as possible, but I also don't want it to get int the way of a casual/more story driven game play. I'm also leery of asking my players to sign up for a subscription to play.  

What would you recommend?

nclarke

If you know the rules and want audio and video then Google Hangouts or Discord or Skype will work for you. If you do need the support of the built-in rules then FG might be better. AFAIK the built-in FG support doesn't do any more than provide the sort of automation available with Roll20's character sheet automation/macros.

Roll20, as you are probably aware, doesn't need a subscription for basic access. FG either needs the players to have a subscription/pay a fee or requires the GM to have some sort of expensive ($200?) licence to allow free play for others. Skype, Discord and Hangouts are free.

Discord has an option for adding a die roller, Skype and Hangouts do not needing to run one in a separate tab.

I've played through Curse of Nineveh using Hangouts and we intend to run the new/revised Masks next year the same way.

Jiminy

A further consideration is network connectivity.

Unlike web browser-based systems such as Google Hangouts or Roll20, some application-based systems such as Fantasy Grounds or Tabletop Simulator have unusual network communications (e.g. non-standard ports) which are prohibited by some internet service providers and/or network administrators.

Reconfiguring network communications on affected applications can resolve such issues. However, Fantasy Grounds and Tabletop Simulator specifically fail to provide any options for reconfiguring network communications, and so the only way around the impasse is to tunnel traffic through some form of proxy and/or Virtual Private Network (VPN).

Proxy and VPN solutions are many & varied, further increasing the complexity and nearly always cost aswell. Some internet service providers prohibit certain forms of VPN.

numtini

You can download Fantasy Grounds and load in the included D&D sets and see how it works. Or doesn't. I've beaten my head against it several times and IMHO it's a hot mess. Roll20 has its issues, but it's always made sense to me and worked like I expected it to work. 

willmize

Over at Into The Darkness, we just finished it, using nothing but Google Hangouts.

Don't overcomplicate things.  Go with free and easy.

- Bill

numtini

Don't overcomplicate things.  Go with free and easy.

Roll20 is free FWIW. And IMHO pretty easy. I know they have paid plans, but you really really don't need them. AV is a hot mess though, use Discord, Skype, Hangouts, or whatever. Supposedly they're finally -really- working on it.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this