Breon

Wiki spoilers & iOS

Breon

The spoiler tags in the wiki don’t work as expected on iOS.

The directions indicate that the “invisible†spoiler text should be highlighted in order to be read, thereby changing the colours to something more legible. But selected text in iOS is merely painted with a semi-transparent blue overlay so the text remains black-on-black.

It’s a minor complaint, to be sure — the selected text can be copied and pasted unformatted into another app to be read — but annoying nevertheless.

An alternative might be a little JavaScript toggle to change the text colour from black to white on click.

Thanks for listening and all the amazing work!

Edit: I’ve attached a screenshot of a spoiler block that’s been selected.

post-8063-0-37076600-1513135067_thumb.jpeg

PoC

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up! We don't make the Wiki software but we'll add it to the "wanted fixes" list for the next upgrade.

Cheers!

Breon

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up! We don't make the Wiki software but we'll add it to the "wanted fixes" list for the next upgrade.

Cheers!

You may be able to fix this yourself by editing the spoiler wiki template.

I don't have permission to make the edit myself, so I can't guarantee this will work as expected, but you can modify the second line of the template,

<div style="padding:1px; background-color:#000000; color: #000000;">

to include an onclick event, like so:

<div style="padding:1px; background-color:#000000; color: #000000;" onclick="var bg=this.style.backgroundColor;this.style.backgroundColor=(bg!=='transparent'?'transparent':'#000000')">

A user should now be able to toggle the black background by clicking (or tapping) on the spoiler section. It's a bit of a hack, of course, but it might solve the problem.

PoC

How about now?

Breon

How about now?

No difference, I'm afraid. This fix should have affected all browsers, desktop included, not just iOS. While I see the spoiler template itself has been changed, the rendered version of that template shows now difference. It's likely that your Wiki software strips out Javascript (which is, to be fair, a very good idea).

In any case, thanks for trying! It's greatly appreciated! :-D

PoC

No worries! Sorry about that. We'll certainly keep an eye on it wrt future upgrades.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now