nclarke

C7 dropping Cthulhu licence

yockenthwaite

Did they give any indication of when they'll start the sale (online) in December?

This coming week was the suggestion. So could be tomorrow or soon after.

Here's the link for Dom's comment re the imminent sale:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461807648/cthulhu-britannica-london-call-of-cthulhu-rpg-boxe/posts/2060186

We'll have an offer running on all but the most recent titles, starting next week.

(post from Friday 1st December)

PoC

I spoke to Dom at Dragonmeet he indicated early-mid next week, discount about 25%.

MonkeyPrime

As primarily a WWC GM I was a bit gutted. I love the 7th edition rules set and I can't afford to start getting new system stuff. I'm going to have to have to wait and see what I'm going to do in terms of future support. I kickstarted the London boxset and Cold War stuff and love the products but with a youth workers salary and a tiny child, I have to watch my cash flow carefully

PoC

On January 1st 2018 we will take all of our current, licensed Call of Cthulhu products off sale permanently. They will not be sold by Cubicle 7 after that date.

Also listed is the newly released: Cards from the Smoke for Cthulhu Britannica (but not discounted).

yockenthwaite

Also listed is the newly released: Cards from the Smoke for Cthulhu Britannica (but not discounted).

Which is very well worth picking up IMHO. Superb quality accessory for London-set gaming.

It would be great if they also made the London postcards set available for purchase. I was particularly stunned by those, that I received as a Kickstarter backer.

There will also be a sale on the PDFs at DriveThruRPG / RPGNow later this week, Dom says. So anyone looking for PDF specifically will be able to get a bit of a discount then.

I've picked up the World War Cthulhu London and Cold War books in the print + PDF sale. I already have the PDF of the former, from the London campaign. But I'd like the print book. I'm currently playing in a WW2 London scenario, the latest in a long-running Doctor Who / Call of Cthulhu crossover campaign.

PoC

I spoke to Dom at Dragonmeet. He said the issue with the London postcards set was that it was advertised as a Kickstarter exclusive.

Mine arrived yesterday.

yockenthwaite

I spoke to Dom at Dragonmeet. He said the issue with the London postcards set was that it was advertised as a Kickstarter exclusive.

Thanks, Yes I wondered if that might be the case. It's a real shame though, I think, because it's one of the most amazing Cthulhu things I've seen for a long time. And it would have been nice for other people to be able to buy it.

csmithadair

Call of Cthulhu 7th presents the first significant modifications to Call of Cthulhu's classic game system.  Just after that, Arc Dream goes its own way with its own vision of d100 gaming with the new Delta Green rpg.  Now Cubicle 7 is cutting ties with Chaosium to develop its own engine for Cthulhu gaming.  In significantly modifying their classic game engine for CoC7th ed. instead of simply reorganizing its existing rules for better presentation and clarity, has Chaosium set off an unintended domino effect?  Or am I seeing the start of a trend that is an illusory correlation?  Maybe it's more of a licensing/money thing instead of a game system thing?  There are a lot of independent Lovecraftian games on  the market now, so maybe I'm seeing a nascent pattern that just isn't there.  Or is it?  

I believe the publicly stated reasons for creating a new rule set for Delta Green hinged on licensing. At least in the past, having a license meant they had a ceiling of how many releases they could make in a year. I'm sure there are numerous factors, monetary and otherwise, in each company's decision to be or not be a licensee.

nclarke

Note that the changes to the rules that gave us 7e happened before the (re)takeover of Chaosium by the Moon Design team chosen by Greg and Sandy (the remaining major shareholders of Chaosium) so the new licencing system is entirely down to the Moon Design led Chaosium team and nothing to do with the 7e rules changes.

I was told that the only reason Chaosium had not collapsed before it did was because of the licence fees from the Japanese publisher. So obviously increasing those fees would be a major reason for new Chaosium to  get the company back on it's feet financially after the cash injection.

numtini

A license doesn't just mean fees, it's also about approval. Judging from the Kickstarters I've backed, Chaosium is pretty quick about turnaround, but it's a hassle and as someone who's an indie fiction publisher, you want to be in control of your project. If you didn't, you'd just submit a manuscript for publication. It's part of the ethos of starting your own business.

tjgreenway

Which is very well worth picking up IMHO. Superb quality accessory for London-set gaming.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do with these, from what I've gathered online they'll be an excellent source of inspiration at the very least, and I'm hopeful that the new chase rules will be easier to handle than the rather convoluted 7E ones.

I also caved and picked up the World War Cthulhu books while I still can for a  more than reasonable price - from a quick skim of some of the PDF's, I'm extremely impressed so far. I find it hard to read large books in e-format, so final judgement is reserved until the physical books arrive, but initial impressions are very promising - this definitely looks like a setting I'll be transitioning into when my 1920's London campaign reaches it's climax!

MOB

A key change we have made to the old commercial licensing regime was get rid of the insistence that licensees paid some/all of their royalities to Chaosium in product. No licensee liked this, because they had to pay to ship the product to the Chaosium warehouse in Hayward.

The actual licensing fees (as in the % paid) have remained the same, we've just changed it to a straight monetary payment. This is far simpler and preferred all round.  

Cheers, MOB - Chaosium Inc.

PoC

The actual licensing fees (as in the % paid) have remained the same, we've just changed it to a straight monetary payment.

The percentage is the same, but does that mean the cost to the licensee (publisher) is the same?

[Example numbers used only for simplicity.]

i.e. if a licensee previously paid 10% (in unit numbers) of a product, then from a run of 2,000 they would ship 200 copies to Chaosium. If that product cost the publisher £5 a unit, that would be £1,000 from the publisher's bottom line to cover the licensing fee (ignoring shipping).

If it's a straight monetary payment of the same percentage (again, say 10%) is that of the publisher's production run cost or based on the Recommended Retail Price (MSRP)? e.g. for a £25 book, at 2,000 copies, total = £50,000 @ 10% = £5,000 license fee. ( >> £1,000)

i.e. is the license fee percentage now related to production cost, retail price or something else? The difference could be huge.

yockenthwaite

The ditigal sale has started:@cubicle7 The 25% off C7 Call of Cthulhu games comes to PDF! These titles all vanish on January 1st! Don’t delay! drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/54/…

Funnily enough browsing the PDFs just now I ended up buying a print + PDF deal of what I wanted (The Laundry Black Bag Jobs) rather than pure PDF. Because although the PDF is reduced, the print price with PDF thrown in isn't that much more. Yes, trying not to buy physical books. Failed!

I have a couple of World War Cthulhu books on the way from a previous order. I *think* I've got everything I want now. I already have most of the Cthulhu Britannica range and a couple of Laundry books.

MOB

The percentage is the same, but does that mean the cost to the licensee (publisher) is the same?

Yes. The licensee doesn't have the expense and hassle of shipping product to the Chaosium warehouse though. 

PoC

Excellent!

While it's a sad day in a certain sense for Call of Cthulhu officianados I know a lot of people are looking forward to whatever Lovecraftian gaming productions Cubicle 7 plan on making next.

PoC

Cubicle 7's discount sale has now finished, along with the sale of all their Call of Cthulhu products.

Cards from the Smoke will probably prove to be the rarest purchase as it was only available for a single month.

All the best to C7 and looking forward to their new and re-issued Cthulhu materials (using their own system) in the future.

Cards_from_the_Smoke.jpg

nclarke

CftS will probably tie with Our American Cousins which is only going to be available to folks who bought it via KS or during the few days it was on sale (as a pre-order) last month.

trevlix

This may be a dumb question, but what happens to the C7 CoC books that didn't get sold?

nclarke

Would depend upon the licence agreement I suspect. Might be pulped, might be remaindered.

PoC

No sales beyond 31st December. By most contracts they would be pulped.