PaulBaldowski

Three Faces of the Wendigo released for The Cthulhu Hack

PaulBaldowski

"That stern quality of the tangled backwoods which can only be described as merciless and terrible, rose out of these far blue woods swimming upon the horizon, and revealed itself. He understood the silent warning. He realized his own utter helplessness."

- Algernon Blackwood, "The Wendigo"

Three authors. Three chilling tales of malevolence and inhuman appetite for The Cthulhu Hack.

Wolves in the Mountain by Richard August

A man staggers into an isolated town with a story of murder and madness. A small group ventures into the wilderness, in search of the truth. But out in the mountains there lies something darker and stranger than they can possibly imagine... and blood. Lots and lots of blood.

Lovely, Dark and Deep by John Almack

Wherein the investigators go on a hunting trip in the Canadian wilderness, but soon wonder who is the hunter and who the prey.

Tainted Meat by Paul Baldowski

Out in the deep woods, a tiny settlement has fought to survive and won. When the travelling investigators arrive, they find proud, tough people and are welcomed with warmth and hospitality. Hard times behind them, why would anyone want to leave?

Designed as stand-alone investigation adventures, suited to running as one-shots or over two sessions. Written for The Cthulhu Hack, adaptable to any game of investigation horror.

These adventures contain mature themes.

Available now through RPGNow and DriveThruRPG. Physical copies available for the first time at Dragonmeet, and then through the All Rolled Up web site.

Anthology-cover-Aug-17.jpg

WaynePeters

I bought a copy of this from DrivethruRPG today after hearing you talk about it on Starry Wisdom and I have to say I love it. I love the Wendigo as a monster, so to have three scenarios specifically built around it is terrific. I'm very much planning on running the first scenario, Wolves in the Mountain but transplanted to feudal Japan - and it works surprisingly well with very little alteration.

I do, however have a question that you might be able to answer for me, or at least get an answer from the author, Richard. (I'll put it behind spoiler tags, though as it is quite spoilery)

When the PCs finally encounter the Wendigo it is sleeping at the bottom of its pit. It's stated that if the Wendigo is awoken then it's effectively game over as it will almost certainly wipe out the PCs with ease. Given that there is an almost unavoidable fight on the rim of the pit immediately afterwards, the scenario is quite vague as to how much activity and noise will wake the beast. If it'll sleep through a fight on the top of the pit with screaming cultists and most likely gunfire, then it's concievable that a PC, if they're quiet enough could be rescued from the pit. On the other hand, if anything above loud talking wakes it then it will prove very difficult and actually very unlikely that PCs (and the scenario) will survive beyond this point. What would Richard recommend?

Cheers,

Wayne

PS - apologies if this is not the right place to post questions like this.

PaulBaldowski

I checked with Richard and he said:

The Wendigo only awakes if the players deliberately attempt to attack it or awake it. At Grogmeet, the characters tried to burn it. That didn’t work. Basically, whatever the GM wants goes...

Hope that's some help!

WaynePeters

Perfect. Thank you.

(Also, I didn't realise it'd been run at Grogmeet! :D )

PaulBaldowski

Yeah - Richard ran it in the morning slot. Glad that the response was some help.