mojojojo

Question about Sandy Petersen: Look of Cats from Saturn in Petersen's Field Guide

mojojojo

The cat from Saturn is one of my favorite Mythos creatures & that is largely due to the wonderful S. Petersen’s Field Guide to Creatures of the Dreamlands. I know Lovecraft's description of them was very vague. The field guide gave this description of them.

Though cat-like in overall shape, their body is an abstract mass of arabesques and filigrees of many bright colors. A baroque object at one end can be identified as a head by protrusions that resemble ears, a mouth formed by an invagination in the mass, and two great round multicolored eyes. At the other end is a thick, bushy reticulated tail. The body can exude two, three, four, or more legs, each of which ends in a whip-like paw. It's unknown whether this is its true body, or simply the best representation of it the Dream and Waking-universes can produce, but despite its appearance the body seems stable and not prone to alterations as the filaments of the mass move around.

​The text was accompanied an very eye catching illustration by MARK J. FERRARI.

tumblr_lqscecPWip1qzsz6ro1_500.jpg

What was the inspiration for the unique look/body structure that book gave them. Has Sandy Petersen ever said?

Tony Williams

The first edition Field Guide to the Creatures of the Dreamlands has marvellous artwork all-round ( not so much the companion guide to the Mythos ) but the Cat from Saturn is a stand-out.

mojojojo

The first edition Field Guide to the Creatures of the Dreamlands has marvellous artwork all-round ( not so much the companion guide to the Mythos ) but the Cat from Saturn is a stand-out.

Any idea how I would go about contacting the author & artist?

Do you think they would respond if I asked them?

Robin

Any idea how I would go about contacting the author & artist?

Do you think they would respond if I asked them?

You could try contacting the artist here:

http://markferrari.com/

Oh, and yeah, what Tony Williams said.

Regards,

Robin