Nightbreed24

Dunwich "Now"

JeffErwin

Regarding Goatswood, I take it to be somewhat similar to the Forest of Dean - an ancient, perhaps protected, wood - and perhaps there is some sort of "clouding minds" effect created by the local cult. But also Ramsey Campbell was from Liverpool, and his idea of the Severn Valley reminds me more of the North than southern England - there's a bit more isolation up there, with moors and endless hills and settlements farther apart.

ReydeAmarillo
On 05/10/2017 at 03:50, JeffErwin said:

Regarding Goatswood, I take it to be somewhat similar to the Forest of Dean - an ancient, perhaps protected, wood - and perhaps there is some sort of "clouding minds" effect created by the local cult. But also Ramsey Campbell was from Liverpool, and his idea of the Severn Valley reminds me more of the North than southern England - there's a bit more isolation up there, with moors and endless hills and settlements farther apart.

Yes totally, the larger and so more isolating trans Pennine moors and forests are very Northern England, as is the grime and decrepit streets of most of his towns - very "dark satanic mills".

Southern England is more rolling downs and valleys and farmland. And villages and towns are only a few miles apart, with larger towns and cities every ten -fifteen miles or so. Civillisation is always very near.

Yes the occasional singular Mythos outbreak can be imagined here but not an entire village cult plus innumerable beasties wandering about! To be honest it has always amazed me that Ramsey Campbell didn't set his stories in the Peak District from the very beginning. Which is why (back on topic) I always thought that the States was a better place for major Mythos activity. Wider open, more rugged and so isolating terrain. I have never been to the States but can imagine some cut off valley holding a decrepit, redneck cultist township.

JeffErwin
On 05/10/2017 at 07:20, ReydeAmarillo said:

Yes totally, the larger and so more isolating trans Pennine moors and forests are very Northern England, as is the grime and decrepit streets of most of his towns - very "dark satanic mills".

Southern England is more rolling downs and valleys and farmland. And villages and towns are only a few miles apart, with larger towns and cities every ten -fifteen miles or so. Civillisation is always very near.

Yes the occasional singular Mythos outbreak can be imagined here but not an entire village cult plus innumerable beasties wandering about! To be honest it has always amazed me that Ramsey Campbell didn't set his stories in the Peak District from the very beginning. Which is why (back on topic) I always thought that the States was a better place for major Mythos activity. Wider open, more rugged and so isolating terrain. I have never been to the States but can imagine some cut off valley holding a decrepit, redneck cultist township.

Indeed, that is sometimes the case... more or less. I used to live near "Holy City": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_City,_California.

ElijahWhateley

Which is why (back on topic) I always thought that the States was a better place for major Mythos activity. Wider open, more rugged and so isolating terrain. I have never been to the States but can imagine some cut off valley holding a decrepit, redneck cultist township.

And yet here in the States I can only wonder at what long-standing cults have deep roots in London and Rome.

ReydeAmarillo
On 05/10/2017 at 17:39, ElijahWhateley said:

And yet here in the States I can only wonder at what long-standing cults have deep roots in London and Rome.

Totally, the options are limitless. My personal take (as a native Londoner who had travelled quite a bit of England) is that after hundreds of years they will be subtle and well hidden, and maybe even linked to the PTB. Under the City of London there are hidden rivers, a complex 19th C sewer system, an undergroumd railway, Plague (mass burial) pits and 20-40 feet of built over ruins going down to old Roman Londinium. I can easily imagine a fair few hidden ancient cults just there alone.

Blackmyron

I think it also depends on how similar you want the game world to mirror the real world.

I've always felt that the Miskatonic River valley winds almost like a scar across northern Massachusetts, with a much lower population along its path than in our world.  It may be that many failed attempts over the years for development above Arkham along the river eventually just leads to it being generally left alone.

Also, the Believers may feel that Dunwich being isolated from the rest of the world is in their best interests, and make work subtle influence to keep it both from falling into complete ruin or being developed.

I've noticed that many of Campbell's Severn Valley stories, especially the later ones, are about the horrors found within cities; and even places like Goatswood seem to be visited by outsiders semi-regularly - Made In Goatswood, for instance.

Necrothesp

Goatswood appears to be a medium-sized town with a town square, department store, hotel and railway station! It's not some isolated little village in the midst of an ancient forest.

Necrothesp

There's a town government in the Chaosium publication, but there's nothing about selectmen, a JP, or a Constable in the original text.

Dunwich did, however, have its own WWI draft board in the original story. Did Massachusetts villages have their own draft boards? Merely a question. I don't know if they did or not.

Necrothesp

I always figured Aylesbury was Greenfield as its the only truly large town along Route 2, which was previously a state turnpike. The old road goes past to Shelburne, but Greenfield is far larger and the county seat for Franklin county. Even today, if you're local in that area, "Route 2" is what you call Route 2 east from Greenfield and the part of Route 2 that heads further west is "The Mohawk Trail." And Greenfield is definitely too far west for Dunwich to be a village of it.

I think we can assume that Lovecraft intended Aylesbury to be the nearest town of any size, given that's where the doctor came from when Old Man Whateley was dying. I think Winchendon is the most likely candidate for Aylesbury and that the Aylesbury Turnpike is entirely fictitious.

Gaffer
On 13/10/2017 at 11:13, Necrothesp said:

Dunwich did, however, have its own WWI draft board in the original story. Did Massachusetts villages have their own draft boards? Merely a question. I don't know if they did or not.

Currently, a Selective Service local board is a group of five citizen volunteers whose mission, upon a draft, will be to decide who among the registrants in their community will receive deferments, postponements, or exemption from military service based on the individual registrant's circumstances and beliefs.

There was probably a local draft board for Dunwich, but it probably met once during WWI and maybe semi-annually during WWII, because there just weren't that many eligibles to consider.

numtini

Oh! Great find. I'm switching my vote from village to town.

Nightbreed24

I've thought about some of the ideas you have written.

Those hippies could've been the shot in the arm the Believers needed to survive. Dunwich has always been dying. Keith Herber wrote the following for his supplement, which was left out and only published in TUO 4: "Farm families tend to be large but many youngsters end up eventually moving out of the valley. Only those in a position to inherit an established farm or occupation stay. Others, those not inclined to continue living at home with parents, move on to Aylesbury where the farming is better, or further on, even out of Massachusetts altogether." Marie Bishop seems like the sort of leader, who would greet them with open arms. And she's only 32 in 1928, which means she could easily be alive in the 1980s or even in our times. As a supercentenarian, just like Mother Bishop. Perhaps the hippie leader is a fifth, sixth, etc. son or daughter of a Dunwich family, left, became a flower child and lead a group of hippies back to that "groovy, far out" village. Their kids would be adults today, with weird names like Moonbeam Whateley, Peace Tetlow or Gypsy Bishop. This could get Manson Family-grade ugly and divide the Believers again, especially if Virginia Adams (the 36 year old village slut flirting with the Black Man of the Woods) is still around too. Two feuding supercentenarian ladies could even get national attention.

I've though about a flooded Dunwich too. There's a ghost village in Hungary, which was flooded in 1970. All the 706 residents had to leave their houses. About 10 people live there now, with former residents and their children gathering in remembrance annually. Rural folk can be very stubborn, some have even moved back to the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. This could be combined with the family RV-trip written above.

numtini

If you want flooding, you have the Quabbin. Even in the small area near the visitors center, there's a place you can see what's obviously a foundation, half submerged. Doing a series set there during the slow dismantling of the towns is on my bucket list of things to write. 

WinstonP
On 31/12/2017 at 15:52, numtini said:

If you want flooding, you have the Quabbin. Even in the small area near the visitors center, there's a place you can see what's obviously a foundation, half submerged. Doing a series set there during the slow dismantling of the towns is on my bucket list of things to write.

Here's a little bit of fun you could use in the Quabbin that's not underwater:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_College_Radio_Astronomy_Observatory