JS113

New Comet Games - Devil's Swamp adventure

JS113

Newish game publisher New Comet Games has a license for a new CoC adventure set in Massachusetts swamps, 1920s.

They have a preview of their Kickstarter page up for comment, I think the cover art looks great! I like the standing stone ritual art too.

The 30 day KS starts on Tuesday 9/12.

Here's the page to review:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/newcometgames/841272918?ref=343429&token=4b919871

Is $5000 about average for this sort of project?

JS113

ah they mentioned that they had published it, didn't realize they had changed names!

andreroy

I loved the Star on the Shore, it's a great adventure in a rarely seen location.

I'm definitely going to back them again.

MOB

I loved the Star on the Shore, it's a great adventure in a rarely seen location.

I'm definitely going to back them again.

As noted, "New Comet" is Ben Burn's "Dark Cult Games" rebadged. I don't know the reasons for the name change - maybe they are looking at branching out into other games/genres where the name "Dark Cult" would be disconcerting - but from a licensing perspective, Ben Burns has performed admirably, delivering The Star on the Shore Kickstarter in a very timely fashion, with a production quality that is top notch. 

MOB (who looks after licensing at Chaosium)

JS113

I saw they also made a successful Kickstarter in June for Monster Trap: A Kid's Game for the Whole Family, so the rebranding isn't too illogical!

andreroy

As noted, "New Comet" is Ben Burn's "Dark Cult Games" rebadged. I don't know the reasons for the name change - maybe they are looking at branching out into other games/genres where the name "Dark Cult" would be disconcerting - but from a licensing perspective, Ben Burns has performed admirably, delivering The Star on the Shore Kickstarter in a very timely fashion, with a production quality that is top notch. 

MOB (who looks after licensing at Chaosium)

Oh I know, I was quite happy about both the timeliness, quality of the product and the communications. And the Dark Haunting tie-in is great.

PoC

...maybe they are looking at branching out into other games/genres where the name "Dark Cult" would be disconcerting.

That's the reason given.

gabrielconnor

Not gonna back this one up because I was disappointed by the quality of Star on the shore, both in production (the art, apart from the cover was bad) and as an adventure.

The handouts are bland, the scenario needs major reworking as it has plot holes any seasoned rpg players will spot in a second. I had to spend a considerable amount of time to make this work for my group and that defeats the purpose of getting a ready to play scenario.

Pookie

The likelihood is that I will back it. That way I can get hold of a copy to review it.

Of course, I will hold judgement until I see it, but I hope that I will have cause not to read and review it the same day as I got it as I did with The Star on the Shore.

numtini

I backed it. I was in the middle on Star, but they seemed to have been very responsive and I suspect this will be better for the criticism. I'm also a "small local horror" type of Lovecraftian, so their stuff is really up my alley.

crazykane

I backed also.

While Star on the Shore was in no way "Return to Dunwich" it did try hard to follow in those steps/that direction.

And that alone makes me a fan!

+as a GM doing it since the late 80s, getting a semi-half-baked plotline, some nice maps and original (but sometimes a bit too awkward...) NPCs ideas is quite enough for me to manage a fun game down the road.

As a bonus, I'm learning all kind of nice lore about the "Bridgewater Triangle"!!

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/15922081

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-massachusetts-came-to-have-its-own-bermuda-triangle