PoC

Masks of Nyarlathotep - New 2018 Edition

PoC

Falling into the "just under two months" bracket would mean a PDF release before the end of April. I could see that being something Chaosium might want to hit if they want to get the print edition out in time for this year's Gen Con (start of August).

jlynn

Falling into the "just under two months" bracket would mean a PDF release before the end of April. I could see that being something Chaosium might want to hit if they want to get the print edition out in time for this year's Gen Con (start of August).

That sounds entirely logical to me.  Of course, "there's many a hitch...", and all that, but I'd guess their plan is probably something along those lines. 

wharfedalehome

Well however long it takes, I'm sure it will be worth waiting for.

I'd prefer to wait a little longer and get a an excellent product than have it now and it be found wanting.

As they say..."You can't hurry good art"

Don't bother trying to look that quote up, it's brand new - lol

PoC

It seems my estimate was out:

The Masks of Nyarlahotep [sic] PDF will release in May 2018, with the published edition coming out at Gen Con 2018.

Source: Call of Cthulhu Syrinscape Press Release

jlynn

It seems my estimate was out:

Source: Call of Cthulhu Syrinscape Press Release

Well, yes and no.  You were wrong about sometime in April, but spot on regarding GenCon!  So that gives you a .500 batting average -- easily enough to earn you a spot in the Major Leagues over here... :-D

PoC

It also means that Chaosium's original quote of "a few weeks" was inaccurate whichever way you spin it.

But I guess we all knew that. ;-)

jlynn

Or that they have a much broader definition of the term "a few" than most people do...

Plus, not to be snarky, but historically they have a poor track record in estimating times to completion (*cough* HotOE Kickstarter *cough*)  :P

PoC

It's a common theme among many, many publishers.

I remember the hoo-hah over all the broken promise dates and just how long it actually took for id software's DOOM II to come out.. :-)

KnygathinZhaum

Ugh.

Mograg

I know that the internet gives us a better handle on how our favorite publishers and companies are doing on so many fronts, but I kinda miss the 'good ol' days' when I'd walk into my local hobby store and say "oh look, a Dunwich sourcebook.  Cool!"  There was none of this moment-to-moment advance awareness, build-ups, let-downs, updates, or any of that.  Just walk into the store and see what was there.  Of course, my collection was very hit or miss, as you could miss out on stuff if the store did not stock it or another customer got there before you did...but then again, I did not know what I was missing, so ignorance was a sort of bliss.  Not saying 'go back to the old days,' - we have many information advantages now - but there was a sort of blissful spontaneity back in those days.

PoC
On 29/03/2018 at 15:31, Mograg said:

...I kinda miss the 'good ol' days' when I'd walk into my local hobby store and say "oh look, a Dunwich sourcebook.  Cool!"  There was none of this moment-to-moment advance awareness, build-ups, let-downs, updates, or any of that.  Just walk into the store and see what was there.

I remember that feeling. I didn't know Horror on the Orient Express existed until I saw it on the shelves of The Compleat Strategist in Philadelphia back in the autumn of '91. It came home with me. :-)

Just surprise and wonder, no hyped-up anticipation, build up, or (potential) feelings of being let-down from unrealistically high expectations - but as you point out, those days are pretty much gone.

jlynn

It's a common theme among many, many publishers.

I remember the hoo-hah over all the broken promise dates and just how long it actually took for id software's DOOM II to come out.. :-)

Well, that's true enough, but you have to admit, there have been times... 

Still, I've always found the wait worth it with Chaosium's products, even though it can be seriously frustrating at times.

MOB

In the latest Kickstarter update for Chaosium's Miskatonic University board game, backers are getting a sneak peek at some of Victor Leza's amazing new art for Masks:

DcEkaePV4AUceNU.jpg

PoC

Chaosium have also posted a revised version of "The Black Pharaoh" based on feedback.

Original vs. New.

black-pharaoh-victor-leza-revised-masks-2018.jpg
Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/448333182/miskatonic-university-the-restricted-collection-bo/posts/2175034

I realised recently another point that struck me about this piece. Never in Egyptian art have I seen a case of "manspreading" before!

Stay classy N. ;-)

Travern

Much improved, especially including a map in the background as a clue for players instead of just a generic throne dominating the space. The Black Pharaoh's leg stance, I agree, is atypical (intentionally, I trust).

(I also have never cared for the distressed border style Chaosium has adopted across its CoC product line, but that's clearly a motif the art director likes.)

KnygathinZhaum

From 'Menacing!' to 'Apathetic'! The map is a great change though, especially considering the role in the campaign it plays.

Mograg

I have a bust of a bust.  Not 3,300 years old...but discovered for $22 in a Salem, Massachusetts junk shop.  For that price I had to take Queen Nefertiti home!

post-122-0-80394900-1525443606_thumb.png

willmize

So now it looks like Josh Brolin is waiting for... a lap dance?

- Bill

PoC

It's always been in the lap of the gods. ;-)

KnygathinZhaum

So now it looks like Josh Brolin is waiting for... a lap dance?

- Bill

:lol:

Yr killin' me, man.

willmize
On 04/05/2018 at 16:13, PoC said:

It's always been in the lap of the gods. ;-)

Erich von Daniken's lawyers are holding for you on line one. Something about trademark infringement.

- Bill

PoC

If only there were "chariots of the gods" in Masks of Nyarlathotep. Oh wait...

CsabTheHun

Pegasus Spiele, the German licensee of Coc has just made the 2018 edition of MoN available for pre-order.

It's suggested retail price is 129,99 euros... If Pegasus's earlier pricing is anything to go by, then in the UK/US it should be available for $129.99. 

Hefty... but we will shell out the dough nonetheless, won't we? 

KnygathinZhaum
should be available for $129.99. 

Hefty... but we will shell out the dough nonetheless, won't we? 

Jesus. Um...I honestly don't know. My Masks group fell apart months ago which, combined with this massive price, has certainly de-incentivized me. Woof.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now