PoC

Masks of Nyarlathotep - New 2018 Edition

jlynn

Masks is but the first: we are looking at re-releasing other classic campaigns too over the next several years.

That is wonderful news!  I can hardly wait to see what you guys do with them!

PoC

Slipcase confirmed, but no price given yet.

PoC

My copy of Masks (23118) is 248 pages.

Let's say they double that in the two volumes, which would be an astounding 496 pages.

Virtually spot on in page guess. The new edition of Masks is due to be a little over 500 pages in length.

numtini

Virtually spot on in page guess. The new edition of Masks is due to be a little over 500 pages in length.

And if previous supplements have been any indicator, more dense in type. This will be interesting!

willmize

And if previous supplements have been any indicator, more dense in type. This will be interesting!

That's really my ONLY gripe about current 7th Edition books, the difficulty in reading text over art.

Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth (Editions 1-6) it was black on white, no worries.  

Now that my eyes are older, it's harder to make it out unless there's really a great deal of contrast between the text and the art.

My deepest wish would be for them to do what they did with 7th Edition Keepers and Investigators, and issue as ePub.

That would be wonderful!

- Bill

Cangarwbach

I'm looking forward to shoehorning together both the new Peru chapter, and also the Yucatan adventure prologue from the Masks Companion. Probably quite a bit of work Pulping the Companion, but will be worth it.

PoC

It sounds like Chaosium are now hedging their bets as to whether the PDF will be out by the end of 2017.

KnygathinZhaum

It sounds like Chaosium are now hedging their bets as to whether the PDF will be out by the end of 2017.

Yeah it was starting to feel like that. I was hoping the big announcement the other day was going to be about a PDF release date rather than unfinished artwork. C'est la vie

unraveler

Really looking forward the new edition of the wonderful campaign! I also would like to know:

1. When the PDF will be out, would I be able to pay full price for pre-ordering the hardcover? Or the PDF will give me a coupon discount for the hardcover when it will be ready?

2. Are the YSDC team gonna have a pre-release cover of the changes & additions to the new edition?

3. Sorry if this one is not really relevant to ask here, but: The Eldritch Horror's expansion (with the same name) is gonna be the big one's type, which usually means - 2 new AOs. So who's gonna be the second AO in this expansion? (And sorry again for asking this here, I know this is not FF, but they haven't posted any news about it since the announced over 2 months ago, and I'm really really curious)

MOB

Really looking forward the new edition of the wonderful campaign! I also would like to know:

1. When the PDF will be out, would I be able to pay full price for pre-ordering the hardcover? Or the PDF will give me a coupon discount for the hardcover when it will be ready?

2. Are the YSDC team gonna have a pre-release cover of the changes & additions to the new edition?

3. Sorry if this one is not really relevant to ask here, but: The Eldritch Horror's expansion (with the same name) is gonna be the big one's type, which usually means - 2 new AOs. So who's gonna be the second AO in this expansion? (And sorry again for asking this here, I know this is not FF, but they haven't posted any news about it since the announced over 2 months ago, and I'm really really curious)

I can at least answer your first question—when the PDF comes out and you buy it from Chaosium.com you'll receive a discount coupon. The coupon will give you the full price of the PDF off the cost of the physical product when it is out, which will be about 3-4 months later. Chaosium is doing this for all new releases.

unraveler

I can at least answer your first question—when the PDF comes out and you buy it from Chaosium.com you'll receive a discount coupon. The coupon will give you the full price of the PDF off the cost of the physical product when it is out, which will be about 3-4 months later. Chaosium is doing this for all new releases.

Thanks for the instant replay.   :-D

I also found an answer to my third question in FFG's forum.

PoC

Obviously this didn't make a 2017 release in any form, but it sounds like it may be out in the spring to coincide with the FFG "Masks" board game release.

nclarke

That's what I was told by Chaosium staffers at The Kraken last October, PoC.

PoC

Excellent. +1 to authentication. :-)

From a marketing and promotion standpoint I can see that making a lot of sense.

KnygathinZhaum

Bummer. Was really hoping for a PDF in the "any day now" range.

MikeM

We had a slight delay with some of the art, but layout has begun. 

willmize

OH GOOD, LET'S START 2018 OUT EVEN MORE IN DEBT.

But seriously, I hope that all the folks at Chaosium will enjoy my small contribution to their mortgages, car payments, etc. because we all know we're going to buy the dang thing.

- Bill

MOB

In this month's Tabletop Gaming UK Magazine:

27067076_682228178614228_341735117003757

"More than 30 years after it debuted, Call of Cthulhu's Masks of Nyarlathotep remains one of the greatest roleplaying adventures ever created. With the globetrotting horror tale returning to drive a new generation of players insane, we revisit a true classic."

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/store/back-issues/tabletop-gaming/tabletop-gaming-issue-15

NB - the full piece runs over five pages and includes a section "BABY ‘TEPS - Call of Cthulhu line editor Mike Mason recalls his own introduction to Masks and offers some tips to those taking on the adventure for the first time".

PoC

The Eldritch Horror MoN expansion is out this week. As unfounded rumour has it, the RPG version should be not long after.

eldritch-horror-expansion-masks-nyarlathotep-release.jpg

willmize

The Eldritch Horror MoN expansion is out this week. As unfounded rumour has it, the RPG version should be not long after.

attachicon.gifeldritch-horror-expansion-masks-nyarlathotep-release.jpg

Ahhh.

Unfounded rumors are the BEST rumors.

Unless it's Fleetwood Mac's Rumors, of course.

- Bill

PoC

Unless it's Fleetwood Mac's Rumors, of course.

Can't go wrong with The Chain.

gabrielconnor

attachicon.gifeldritch-horror-expansion-masks-nyarlathotep-release.jpg

Not long after as in the same day? Please let it be the same day! 

MOB

Over on the Chaosoium news blog:

With the imminent release of Fantasy Flight Games' Masks of Nyarlathotep Expansion for Eldritch Horror, Chaosium's Mike Mason and Nick Nacario update us on progress of the new edition of Masks for Call of Cthulhu...

https://www.chaosium.com/blog/masks-of-nyarlathotep-the-darkness-is-near

masks-illo-1.jpg?t=1519274649

(Nick says, "Layout for Masks of Nyarlathotep is well underway! I am working through the England chapter, and I aim to have a finished PDF ready in a few weeks time... These are the most beautiful set of books that I have ever worked on, and I cannot wait for everyone to see them!")

PoC

Must admit, not how I envisioned Nyarlathotep, but each to their own.