PoC

Masks of Nyarlathotep - New 2018 Edition

CthulhuBob

How will this affect the usefulness of the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion?

Eudaimic

The OP addresses that question.

CthulhuBob

Thanks, man.

jlynn

<dashes into phone booth, emerges as Librarian Man>

MikeM posted in early July that down the line it would be getting a revamp, as part of the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion Kickstarter now live! thread:

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/28367-masks-of-nyarlathotep-companion-kickstarter-now-live/page-35?do=findComment&comment=330450

Steve

Man.  I'd completely forgotten that exchange! 

MOB

Apparently this won't be a Kickstarter but a normal product item. I also see the cover has been revealed by Chaosium.

We won't be Kickstarting any releases in the Call of Cthulhu line going forward (or RuneQuest either).

We still might use Kickstarter for special projects, and for our boardgames line. Our new Miskatonic U boardgame, for example.

MOB - Chaosium Inc.

Galbraith

We won't be Kickstarting any releases in the Call of Cthulhu line going forward (or RuneQuest either).

We still might use Kickstarter for special projects, and for our boardgames line. Our new Miskatonic U boardgame, for example.

MOB - Chaosium Inc.

That's really good to hear! It's great to see Chaosium in a place where they feel comfortable launching big products normally, without getting money upfront.

PoC

Rumour suggests that the PDF version might be out before the end of this year (words written, currently in art and layout), which means the print edition could be available by March/April. Again, rumour at this point.

jlynn

That would be totally amazing, if true.  (Alas, I've been conditioned by things like the announcement of Pulp Cthulhu sometime back in the '90s with final delivery in 2016, to remain somewhat skeptical. :)  )

However, I will say that I think their reluctance to go Kickstarter is a wise decision; if they've already got it well in hand, Kickstarter would be a whole lot of trouble for not much benefit for them.  I also know that when this DOES finally come out, it will be superb work!

Graham

I am glad to hear that this product will not be subject to a Kickstarter, there have been too many cases of people focusing on the gee-gaws in the stretch goals to the detriment of the product the money is supposedly being raised for. The state of affairs revealed in Pookies review of "The Star On The Shore" is a classic recent example of this

KnygathinZhaum

Rumour suggests that the PDF version might be out before the end of this year (words written, currently in art and layout), which means the print edition could be available by March/April. Again, rumour at this point.

Oh man, that would be great. I'd surely be able to shoehorn some of the new material into our current MoN campaign!

ContentsMayVary

It certainly would be - I know what I'll be doing over Christmas if this comes out as a PDF in time. :-P

PoC

To mark a brand new edition of Masks of Nyarlathotep on the way, we're releasing the YSDC recording of the original campaign...

Free,
For everyone,
Forever.

https://www.yog-sothoth.com/files/file/801-masks-of-nyarlathotep-01-new-york/

New York — January 1925. Maddy receives a telegram from an old friend, prompting our heroes to look into the mystery of the ill-fated Carlyle Expedition. After an unusual telephone call, a meeting at the Chelsea Hotel goes badly. The party find a gruesome site in a bedroom, and discover an ‘orgy of evidence’ (mention of which to the police is discreetly avoided).

The party first hear of the Cult of the Bloody Tongue, and the Penhew Foundation in London. Further investigations and a visit to Emerson Imports lead our heroes to the Ju-Ju House, a Voodoo shop in Harlem...

We also learn of a tragic golfing accident, the discovery of the photographization process, and an unusual method of pregnancy diagnosis...

A solid 50+ hours of audio.

For more information on this particular recording, see the "Masks and Tape" article in the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion.

Eudaimic

:shock:

PoC

The lastest Chaosium newsletter (Ab Chaos #54) has some more information on the new edition of Masks...

What's more, a brand new chapter is introduced. Set in Peru, this new scenario provides an exciting introductory prologue to the campaign, where the investigators get to meet Jackson Elias, the industrious and charming author, whose researches lead into the globe-spanning plot. Each chapter has been tirelessly crossed referenced, to help those running the campaign to keep track of the many locations, characters, player handouts, and items thrown up by the players' investigation. With new appendices collecting spells, tomes, and artefacts, running the campaign is [the] easiest it's ever been.

Chaosium also state the PDF version will be out this year (2017).

jlynn

I note in the "Licensee Highlight" section, where they discuss Delphes' "Props of Nyarlathotep" Kickstarter, they note that her props are "fully compatible" with the revised edition.  She had already stated in the comments section that she had been coordinating with Chaosium with that goal in mind.  It's good to know that the props from her Kickstarters won't be obsolete before you even get a chance to use them!  :)

V0rtex

It also explains why they cancelled the licence for [No personal attacks please. ~Mod.] Ben Patey...

MOB

It also explains why they cancelled the licence for [No personal attacks please. ~Mod.] Ben Patey...

We cancelled Patey's license last October because he never paid the royalties he owed to Chaosium, or responded to any of our messages for more than a year.

ravenloft08

I'm hoping that Chaosium will use the same approach to Masks as they did to Pulp Cthulhu: If the pdf is released this year, then the funds spent to buy the pdf can be used to offset the cost of the physical book when it is released next year. I am usually one of those people who hmms-and-haaahs about my gaming purchases, but, that business model (purchasing plan? marketing plan? whatever ...) made me pull the trigger immediately on Pulp Cthulhu ... I expect I'll do the same the if an updated Masks is released in the same way.

AdamAlexander

This seems to be standard practice by Chaosium. They've done this with all of the recent 7th Ed releases.

MOB

This seems to be standard practice by Chaosium. They've done this with all of the recent 7th Ed releases.

Yes, we're doing this for all new releases at Chaosium.com. You get the full price of the PDF off the cost of the physical book when it becomes available. 

jlynn

Well, sign me up too!  I liked the way it worked with The Two-Headed Serpent, and The Grand Grimoire!

Will definitely be looking for the announcement that it's available for order.

Dr_Zarnak

Fantastic news, though I would have preferred an update/revision of one of the other campaigns - Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, or Day of the Beast.

MOB

Fantastic news, though I would have preferred an update/revision of one of the other campaigns - Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, or Day of the Beast.

Such will probably happen in due course, also BMM and Dreamlands. But there will be plenty of brand new, original Call of Cthulhu releases coming out as well.

AdamAlexander

Any chance of a modern campaign?