PoC

Masks of Nyarlathotep - New 2018 Edition

JeffMindlin

What’s on the USB drive? Anyone checked it yet?

Kev

From the GPS product page on the HPLHS website: "...a custom USB drive containing eight props that are audio files recorded by professional actors - play them for your players! (We include transcripts to aid their memories.)"

Afraid of the dark

The USB drive contains:

01 America 10 - The Will of Jackson Elias

02 America 15 - Professor Cowles' Lecture

03 England 9 - The Reverened's Statement

04 Egypt 1 - Warren Besart's Statement

05 Kenya 2 - Sgt Bumption's Statement

06 Kenya 4 - Old Bundari's Statement

07 Australia 2 - Jeremy Grogan's Statement

08 China 8 - The Statement of Jack Brady

All very good ;)

JeffMindlin

Awesome. Thanks. 

MOB

Here's Session 0 of Encounter Roleplay's MASKS OF NYARLATHOTEP actual play. Each following Wednesday at 1pm EDT on Twitch TV they'll be playing through the legendary campaign's new introductory prologue chapter - PERU, where the investigators meet the industrious and charming author Jackson Elias, whose researches lead into the globe-spanning mystery.

Embarking on an expedition to find a lost South American pyramid, the investigators come face to face with ancient horrors that foreshadow the task ahead:

headchange4u

So does the new version of MoN contain a lot of the info contained in The Companion? Would it be redundant to have both?

Afraid of the dark

Due to the thickness of the Companion, compared to Masks being an adventure, I think it unlikely that the Companion will be redundant, because if you put all the Companion information in the adventure, you probably wouldn't have any room for adventure? 

headchange4u
2 minutes ago, Afraid of the dark said:

Due to the thickness of the Companion, compared to the thickness of the new Masks (from what I've seen in pictures), I think it unlikely that the Companion will be redundant. 

I thought they were both around the same page count, 666 pages for MoN and 700+ for the Companion. I was mainly curious if the new version leaned heavily on the info in the Companion. I'm waiting for the print version of MoN before I buy. I have a copy of the Companion already. 

PoC
20 hours ago, headchange4u said:

So does the new version of MoN contain a lot of the info contained in The Companion?

See page 13 of this very thread.

Raiko
On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 00:24, headchange4u said:

So does the new version of MoN contain a lot of the info contained in The Companion? Would it be redundant to have both?

I'd say that they still complement each other nicely. I've only read the new edition in detail as far as the New York chapter, I prefer to wait for my physical copy and my play-by-forum game will probably take at least another year to finish New York (we're current about half way through the Peru prologue).

From  what I've read so far though, I love the extra details added and I don't think they make my companion any less useful.

For example (some minor Masks spoilers):

Spoiler

The new edition of Masks contains details about the eighth murder victim in New York, but no others. The Masks Companion includes details of six victims, so combining the two just leaves one more for the Keeper to detail - I'll be killing the mysterious Mrs Victoria Post, mentioned in a key hand-out and never again.

The paradox of The People of the Monolith, has been fixed by swapping it for a different book, but the new book is an earlier hand written manuscript by the same author, which includes some of the same poems. So any of the details about the book in the companion can instead be used for Amongst the Stones. Or you can use one of the companion's other methods to fix the paradox.

I can't stress enough though just how good I think the new bits of Masks are. The extra sections of the New York chapter are excellent, and will really add to the start of the story, and I'm loving running the new prologue. Given how much effort it takes to run the entire campaign, I think that you'd be doing yourself and your players a disservice if you ran the older version - especially when you've already forked out for the companion. :)

Prologue spoilers:

Spoiler

One thing that I really love about the new prologue, is that half way through, the investigators very likely have a decision to make: Press on with the investigation alongside their new friend Jackson, or return to their normal lives.

By choosing to press ahead (however they reconcile that for their particular character) they have already 100% established themselves as exactly the right people for Jackson to telegram for help in 1925. It is really neat and it makes a whole group of starting characters who are "good friends of Jackson Elias." Plus they create characters who volunteer to go on an expedition basically on a whim with very few details, and then encounter Jackson on the expedition, so there's no need to answer questions of "why me?"

HorusZA
On 18/09/2018 at 00:24, headchange4u said:

I've started the MoN campaign a few weeks back. Peru is behind us, and we're one session into the New York chapter.

I'm using the companion extensively for additional background information and have found very little redundancy. There is some overlap on general historical information, such as New York landmarks, getting around, etc. but that's where it ends. For example: the added New York "side-quest" in the campaign ("An Innocent Man") and the one in the companion ("Last Stand at Fat Maybelle’s") are completely different. Similarly, the excellent write-ups of the various Mythos tomes in the companion are still far superior to those presented in the campaign book. 

I think it's safe to say that the Companion is as useful as it's ever been.

headchange4u

Awesome. Thanks for all the info.

JeffMindlin

I’ve never set eyes on this companion (played MON) years ago without it.  I’m now waiting for printed version to run. So how useful really is it? Can I just ignore it (preferred option) or am I making life a lot harder for myself? 

Is it available in hard copy or just digital? Cos I hate running from digital.. 

thanks. 

headchange4u

The Companion was a massive tome put together by members of this very forum, clocking in at over 700 pages. It was a limited run done through Kickstarter. You won't get a print edition unless you find one on the used market. And be prepared to pay a hefty sum to procure a copy.

More info:

PoC
15 minutes ago, JeffMindlin said:

Is it available in hard copy or just digital? Cos I hate running from digital.. 

There's a couple of videos on YouTube about it.

JeffMindlin

Thanks. 

No use if I can’t get it. 😢

JeffMindlin

Thanks. I can read narrative from digital but can’t do reference books. without paper. 

Hauptman
39 minutes ago, JeffMindlin said:

Thanks. I can read narrative from digital but can’t do reference books. without paper. 

Same here. With the print version of the 5th edition about to be released, would it be a good time to reprint/re-kickstart the Companion? I would certainly be interested.

enaudible

There are numerous Print on Demand options available. I trimmed out some of the appendices, pregens, etc. and wound up with a decent hardcover printed on a perfectly acceptable ivory paper for ~$30 shipped from Lulu. If you are a first timer customer, many of them have coupons, and often have free shipping. I was a skeptic up until it showed up on my doorstep and am still surprised that this was an option. So, all things considered, a book of that size in hardback for a total of ~$75 seemed fair, considering it is out of print and sells for upwards of $200+ if you can find one for sale. 

EDIT - I should add, from a quality perspective, it reminds me of something you'd find in a legal library, as far as the look and feel. It does the job admirably though. 

Hauptman
3 hours ago, enaudible said:

There are numerous Print on Demand options available...

Thanks for the tip, POD is something I have no experience with. I assume there are no copyright issues?

jlynn

The Print-on-Demand info is good for ANY of us who own the Companion, PDF only or print and PDF -- because the book is so massive that the original Printed versions seem to be quite prone to breaking their backs if treated with anything even slightly less than gingerly.  Having the option to get a new copy printed would be an enormous benefit to those who've already experienced this, and is great to know for those of us who haven't yet done so; especially if it comes out like a legal tome.  😉

43 minutes ago, Hauptman said:

Thanks for the tip, POD is something I have no experience with. I assume there are no copyright issues?

Generally, if you own a PDF, you own the document and can print it if you want to.  After all, you bought and paid for it.  The greater cost for dead tree versions from the original publisher are purely due to the cost to actually print something, not due to any "copyright" issues.  Now, if you decide to print multiple copies and sell them on your own behalf, THEN you are in trouble for violating copyright!

jcfiala
3 hours ago, enaudible said:

There are numerous Print on Demand options available. I trimmed out some of the appendices, pregens, etc. and wound up with a decent hardcover...

What did you use for the trimming?

I've got a physical copy from the kickstarter, but if I were going to re-print I might be tempted to make a few volumes out of it rather than all in one book.

enaudible
33 minutes ago, jcfiala said:

What did you use for the trimming?

Acrobat Pro, but plenty of options out there and free ones as well. You can typically extract pages/sections without much fuss. 

cloud64
On 14/09/2018 at 10:14, cloud64 said:

Thanks. Tracking has been resolutely sat at ‘Label Created’ since I got the notice. It’s passed the ETA date, which is now hanging at ‘Pending’. Definitely time to chase as it looks like something’s gone wrong. 

Just to update, there was indeed a problem with my package. It had disappeared into the ether. It was promptly sorted out by the HPLHS and my package as now reached Stanstead. Great service from HPLHS, and I've really just posted this in case anyone is in the same boat as I was and wondering if things have gone awry. They may well have, and the HPLHS are very helpful.